Feather questions

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
I posted this on another forum but want some more opinions. From the day I picked Beaker up he has had these white feathers on both wings. It looks the same on both sides. It seems he is missing some of his big boy feathers there. He was given a clean bill of health by the vet prior to us taking him home, and has another appointment in October. My question is, is this normal for a young Quaker? Is this the result of past plucking? Any info would be helpful.

Here he is now:

SAM_0465.jpg

SAM_0467.jpg

Versus when we first got him several months ago:

dd5cbfdf.jpg

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How long have you had Beaker? How old is he?

It "may" be nothing to worry about. Perhaps his clutchmates roughed him up?

How does he act? Do you see him picking at those areas at all? The white feathers appear to be the down feathers, and if he's healthy, and doesn't pluck, then he should regrow those feathers that are missing.

OP
B

BeakerBird

Aug 20, 2012
Morgantown, WV
Parrots
Quaker-Beaker
YN Amazon- ChiChi
I got him a little over 2 month ago at 10 weeks and he was the last of his clutch to be purchased. He doesn't mess with or pluck this area (or any) at all.

dtrotman

Sep 1, 2012
Delaware
Parrots
Two Umbrella Cockatoos
i wouldn't be concerned with this two much he should fill in soon, my father in-law breeds quakers and i recently sold one to a friend and he notice the birds feather looked like this, we kept an eye on it and a couple of months his feathers were like new. it may have just been a shock of the new surroundings.

Thekatsmeow

Aug 14, 2012
Athens,Tennessee
Parrots
Scottie Rotten the Massively Minute Macaw
What a cutie! I am so glad to see you haven't clipped his beautiful blue flight feathers. When I compared the photos it does seem as if he is getting more feathers. Perhaps because he is so young still some of his feathers are still coming in. If you trust your vet and he says your fid is healthy then go with that. Just keep with good nutrition. Healthy foods in good feathers out ;)

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
What a cutie! I am so glad to see you haven't clipped his beautiful blue flight feathers. When I compared the photos it does seem as if he is getting more feathers. Perhaps because he is so young still some of his feathers are still coming in. If you trust your vet and he says your fid is healthy then go with that. Just keep with good nutrition. Healthy foods in good feathers out ;)
ya i agree they should grow in. he looks like mine. but hime is younger. to younge to even ake home yet. i have to wait another month. but he looks to have even less down feathers :O is that wierd or just that mine happened to grow his.her feathers faster? lol but the thing that sucks for me is i am clipping mine's wings:( they are so beautiful. but i just cant deal with it flying until i can train him/her very very very reliebly or i move out. so i have like 3 years(after this one) left in high school. and i dont know how long it will take to train that relieably. so at least a few years without those beautiful feathers! cant wait til i move out and get let them grow and teach him to fly:)

ps: i cant let him fly because i have 2 dog and 2 cats. the dogs wouldnt hurt it but would get very excited and "play"
and hurt it. the cats i just wouldnt trust because even a small bite would kil because cat saliva is txic:O sorry for a long story!

Last edited:

mrgoogls

May 6, 2012
Parrots
1 male Quaker-Cooper
I posted this on another forum but want some more opinions. From the day I picked Beaker up he has had these white feathers on both wings. It looks the same on both sides. It seems he is missing some of his big boy feathers there. He was given a clean bill of health by the vet prior to us taking him home, and has another appointment in October. My question is, is this normal for a young Quaker? Is this the result of past plucking? Any info would be helpful.

Here he is now:

SAM_0465.jpg

SAM_0467.jpg

Versus when we first got him several months ago:

dd5cbfdf.jpg

sorry, but can you PM me pics of that stand he is on? i need to make a T stand and that looks really nice. so c an you PM me some pics and directions on how to build one like it? thanks!

Most Reactions

Latest posts