Possible asper

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
Hi. A few months ago I took my bf amazon Lupin to the vet due to making a strange congested sound after shouting etc. After it not clearing with antibiotics they put him on anti fungals. After a few weeks there was no noise on his chest, and then we kept anti fungals going for about a month after this. The vet gave the "all clear" about a month a go and whilst we continue to nebulise him with a 1:1000 solution of F10 3 times a week the odd noises and congestion seemed to come back.

We took him back to the vet today, and he said his air sacs, lungs, and sinus' were all still clear, he took a blood sample from him and we expect the results back by the end of the week. Is there a chance it could be asper even with clear sounding lungs and air sacs etc. He can still scream the house down but just sounds a little congested at times. The vet mentioned he could even have allergies.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Let us know what the vet says. Does the all clear mean you don't have to continue nebulising with F10 ?

OP
gazzington

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
I shall let you know as soon as we find out. We carried on nebulising him about 3 times a week thinking that it would do no harm. I really hope he is ok

OP
gazzington

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
Hey everyone. Lupin's results came back. No sign to suggest any infection but it did show he had allergies. I am so relieved, it's been stressful but it now means that we have no bird suffering from asper. We are collecting medication for his allergies. It did show that his cholesterol was a tiny bit high and that there was something slightly out that would suggest a liver problem but it was small that we are not to worry about it.

henpecked

Dec 12, 2010
Media
NC/FLA
Parrots
Jake YNA 1970,Kia Panama amazon1975, both i removed from nest and left siblings, Forever Home to,Stacie (YN hen),Mickie (RLA male),Blinkie (YNA hen),Kong (Panama hen),Rescue Zons;Nitro,Echo,Rocky,Rub
Thanks for letting us know. Good diet should fix the liver.

OP
gazzington

gazzington

Nov 28, 2011
I currently feed him fresh fruit in the morning with Harrisons pellets, and then in the evening fruit, veg and pellets. I give him a few nutraberries as a treat in the evening. Any suggestions of what I can do to help with his liver and cholestrol? I am wondering if the medication a few weeks ago effected his liver.

Most Reactions

Latest posts