LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Hi ScottB, what great news about Fergus! Very well done indeed to both of you:)

I had a similar issue with my Quaker, right down to the curvature of the spine thing. His wings were very severely clipped on both sides. Broke my heart every time he launched himself and hit the deck!

He got a feather implant 3 days ago and I can tell you the flying is one thing, but sticking the landings is another matter entirely! When they are suddenly fully flighted that instinct kicks in but with my boy at least, once he’s up there he’s not quite so sure how to get down!

My priority is teaching him to fly largely either to his cage or to me, but in short hops mostly so he learns how to land. He’s doing well at that and actually looks quite pleased with himself when he does:). But occasionally he gets spooked and takes off for a lap of the house with no idea how to get back down so there I am chasing after him to try and break his fall! So supervision is at an all-time high as you can well imagine!

My advice to you is practice those landings. If you have any tips for me I’d be glad to hear them!

EDIT I just noticed via a different thread that you and I have the same bird vet. He certainly does good work doesn’t he!❤️

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Congratulations to your quaker as well! Two successful feather implants! This is beautiful! Hoping to see pics and video of yours as well!

LaManuka

Staff member
Super Moderator
Aug 29, 2018
Media
Albums
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fang ({ab}normal grey cockatiel), Valentino (budgie), Jem (cinnamon cockatiel), Lovejoy(varied lorikeet), Peach (princess parrot)
Congratulations to your quaker as well! Two successful feather implants! This is beautiful! Hoping to see pics and video of yours as well!

Thanx Anansi yes he is doing quite well with his new flying suit :)

I don’t want to hijack ScottB’s thread with my stuff so you can find my photos of the procedure under my “Feather picking/overpreening in a Quaker” thread for a full rundown of events.

Thanx again ❤️

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
Any updates/pics or video, ScottB?

Most Reactions