Feathers seem off, molting? regular cycle?

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
So my green cheek from what i've noticed the past 3 days his feathers just seem different. I took some pics today (which are the first 2 pics, the rest are from about 2-3 weeks ago) and I hope I am just overthinking something could be wrong.
The pics can look a little off because of the lighting however it just seems different to me. He is almost 5 months old now and he does shower almost everyday however the feathers above his nose I do not believe are from a shower or drinking water. His diet is pellets with some fruits and vegetables. He is still eating and drinking, playful and a little crazy at times which is his usual self. Is this a regular thing or should his feathers not look like this.

26022d1616557368-feathers-seem-off-molting-regular-cycle-d3acf160-5694-4746-b610-97dca7655c0a.jpg

26023d1616557378-feathers-seem-off-molting-regular-cycle-5cd3ce18-be61-475f-b25d-a736098499df.jpg

26024d1616557616-feathers-seem-off-molting-regular-cycle-f2f5809d-82d1-4871-93bb-f0699c1b6105.jpeg

26025d1616557624-feathers-seem-off-molting-regular-cycle-a9439711-ed2d-45af-b2f0-b652ab960e15.jpg

26026d1616557635-feathers-seem-off-molting-regular-cycle-8ba43a85-ea7e-481e-9be5-e2dbb7f01c48.jpeg

Attachments

• D3ACF160-5694-4746-B610-97DCA7655C0A.jpg
    D3ACF160-5694-4746-B610-97DCA7655C0A.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 5CD3CE18-BE61-475F-B25D-A736098499DF.jpg
    5CD3CE18-BE61-475F-B25D-A736098499DF.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 96
  • F2F5809D-82D1-4871-93BB-F0699C1B6105.jpeg
    F2F5809D-82D1-4871-93BB-F0699C1B6105.jpeg
    74.1 KB · Views: 99
  • A9439711-ED2D-45AF-B2F0-B652AB960E15.jpg
    A9439711-ED2D-45AF-B2F0-B652AB960E15.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 100
  • 8BA43A85-EA7E-481E-9BE5-E2DBB7F01C48.jpeg
    8BA43A85-EA7E-481E-9BE5-E2DBB7F01C48.jpeg
    113 KB · Views: 102
Last edited by a moderator:

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
He's overall a beautiful bird and I notice your concern with first two pics. I'm unfamiliar with GCCs and suspect he's too young for first moult. Perhaps other members more knowledgeable with conures can help?

Abundant fresh veggies and fruits best for nutrition in addition to pellets. If he's a picky eater, here's some great advice: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
I think I see some feather loss around the nares, that can indicate a sinus infection . I know he has draining in the past. But you do not have to have draining to have a sinus infection. Feather receding from the nares is very classic sign of sinus infection.

The little pin feathers are normal .

What strikes me , is that he looks like he has lost weight . Have you been tracking his weight? A digital kitchen gram scale works great. Mire than 3% you have a sick bird

It's time for swabs and culture. Possibly skull x-ray. It might be time for a second opinion from a different avain vet.

I had experience with this for 17 years as my first GCC had chronic sinus infections, due to hand rearing accident.

I found this to add to my experience,
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/questions/cockatiel-losing-feathers-around-eye/
Excerpt:
" Often when they have a sinus infection, they can loose feathers in that area or over the nares."

This doesn't talk about feather loss by nares but is a good nares article

https://be.chewy.com/all-about-bird-nares/
Molt is a stress on the body. So any brewing infections can make themselves known at this time.

Diet, I'd add back a teaspoon of seeds at the end of the day. I'd feed a tablespoon of boiled egg once or twice a week. I'd feed greek yogurt with live Acidophilus culture listed as one of the cultures, and no artificial sweetners. A glob on the end of your fingers twice a week. This amount, given daily or 3 times a week helped my GCC years ago with a yeast overgrowth , and recently when developed diarrhea from prolonged antibiotics treatment. Giving yogurt is listed as one of the tips from my dive burds vet article I share a lot.

Feeding sprouts is a nice health bump. I learned about sprouts here...I was hesitant at first, but reading about this great food has me sprouting every day.

Veggies are more important than fruit. Bell pepper especially tge yellow sbd orange are usually loved by conures. All pepper are usually liked snd great source of vitamin A. Peppers are part of their diet and natural food source from were they originate in South America. Cooked served warm sweet potatoes, ir butternut squash or pumpkin is usually liked. Offer from yiur fingers.
http://lovinglifefromscratch.blogspot.com/2013/07/chop-all-things-good-for-birdie.html?m=1

Last edited:
OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Ok, ive mentioned a few times on this forum about his sneezes, I plan to take him to the vet either today or tomorrow. As far as his weight goes I bought a scale from the last time we spoke and he is still the same, the picture I took was slightly deceptive due to the unnatural light. His body feathers look beautiful and the feathers on his head don't look at bad as yesterday.
I still plan to take him to the vet however and make sure if he does indeed have a sinus infection they can indeed treat him. Thanks again for your help. I will take your advice on the diet, I am still trying to figure out what he likes.

I think I see some feather loss around the nares, that can indicate a sinus infection . I know he has draining in the past. But you do not have to have draining to have a sinus infection. Feather receding from the nares is very classic sign of sinus infection.

The little pin feathers are normal .

What strikes me , is that he looks like he has lost weight . Have you been tracking his weight? A digital kitchen gram scale works great. Mire than 3% you have a sick bird

It's time for swabs and culture. Possibly skull x-ray. It might be time for a second opinion from a different avain vet.

I had experience with this for 17 years as my first GCC had chronic sinus infections, due to hand rearing accident.

I found this to add to my experience,
https://lafeber.com/pet-birds/questions/cockatiel-losing-feathers-around-eye/
Excerpt:
" Often when they have a sinus infection, they can loose feathers in that area or over the nares."

This doesn't talk about feather loss by nares but is a good nares article

https://be.chewy.com/all-about-bird-nares/
Molt is a stress on the body. So any brewing infections can make themselves known at this time.

Diet, I'd add back a teaspoon of seeds at the end of the day. I'd feed a tablespoon of boiled egg once or twice a week. I'd feed greek yogurt with live Acidophilus culture listed as one of the cultures, and no artificial sweetners. A glob on the end of your fingers twice a week. This amount, given daily or 3 times a week helped my GCC years ago with a yeast overgrowth , and recently when developed diarrhea from prolonged antibiotics treatment. Giving yogurt is listed as one of the tips from my dive burds vet article I share a lot.

Feeding sprouts is a nice health bump. I learned about sprouts here...I was hesitant at first, but reading about this great food has me sprouting every day.

Veggies are more important than fruit. Bell pepper especially tge yellow sbd orange are usually loved by conures. All pepper are usually liked snd great source of vitamin A. Peppers are part of their diet and natural food source from were they originate in South America. Cooked served warm sweet potatoes, ir butternut squash or pumpkin is usually liked. Offer from yiur fingers.
Life From Scratch: Chop: all things good for birdie

OP
B

Brooklyn12

Jan 16, 2021
Lol he is a handsome boy and a good one too. I plan to take him to the vet within either today or tomorrow, I appreciate the link as well, I'm still learning what he likes to eat but that should 100% help.

He's overall a beautiful bird and I notice your concern with first two pics. I'm unfamiliar with GCCs and suspect he's too young for first moult. Perhaps other members more knowledgeable with conures can help?

Abundant fresh veggies and fruits best for nutrition in addition to pellets. If he's a picky eater, here's some great advice: http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...7-converting-parrots-healthier-diet-tips.html
http://www.parrotforums.com/parrot-...afe-fresh-foods-toxic-food-lists-sprouts.html

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Try nit to let them give you baytril, or at least until culture results. Doxycycline is really a better choice, covering more typical bacteria in sinus infection, less likely to lead to yeast overgrowth.
I know not every bird has chlamydia... but it is common, abd chronic, abd csn be difficult to culture or get positive results. If vet does lean that way takes 41 days of doxycycline to clear.......im still treating my flock for this...

Most Reactions