Feeling frustrated!

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
We got Rio our Sennie a little over 3 weeks ago. She is only 4 months old. Some days I feel like she is never going to bond with me. And she isn't bonding with my husband or my daughter either. She chomped down on my daughter pretty hard, twice. But i feel that it my daughter moves too fast towards her.

I am trying really hard to watch her body language and not push her too far past her threshold of me touching her. If she is on my hand there is two things she will do.

1. Instantly try and run up my shoulder
2. She will sit there until I try and touch her beak or head, she will pull back (an obvious sign she doesn't want me to touch her) and then she tries to run up my shoulder.

I know that she is still settling in, but I never felt this way toward my parrotlet Kiwi. She bonded with me right away, and is bonded with both my daughter and my husband. Btw both birds are them same age.

I can't help but think that maybe she was in a not so good situation before I got her. I don't know i just can't put my finger on it. There are times when I can tell she is relaxed, she will wag her tail, fluff her feathers on her head and around her beak - she looks so cute. But I know it not about being near me. But she will do it when i talk to her, I talk to her all the time. But if I try and approach, she instantly reverts to being nervous.

So how long does it usually take when they are this young? I'm not going to try and rush anything, I guess I just need some reassurance and possibly some tips on how to get her to like me a little. I don't want to ever pose as a threat to her, and I want her to like me dang it! :p. thank you

Last edited:

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Me and Merlin were instantaneously bonded. In the shop before we technically bought him he was 'mine'. He was 8 weeks old and easy to manipulate! However, that is not always the case! Especially with stubborn senegals!

Rio is still a baby and has been taken from what was familiar. You said you sit and talk to her and she gets puffy and content well, just stick with doing that! You don't have to be all hands on deck at this stage, it's only going to make her more anxious of you. Anticipating being touched when right now she's still unsure of you and your hands.

For now I'd say just keep her caged and chat to her. Give her treats through the cage bars. When she's showing less signs of being nervous and anxious around you (through the cage) try her out side just 'riding' around on you. On let her be on a playstand with you near just chatting.

Treat her, not as a new baby that will instantly bond to everyone, but as an elder who needs that time to learn to trust that hands arn't for biting or being snatched at; but for scritches, cuddles and step ups!

Who knows how long it will take? As she is still young I expect it to be relatively fast but it's not an overnight job!

I know Merlin doesn't particularly like hands, especially when cranky or shown them at certain times (do not expect him to step up from his cage with hands, you're asking for a bite!) So even now at 2 years old (and no 'traumatic' experiences with hands) he's not a big fan of them. But he will let you give him scritches and cuddles and play with you... on his terms.

A lot of people approach birds like they would dogs - always eager to meet people, always eager to make friends. They're not, they take much more time and I understand you're excited and nervous, but don't be. Just give her a few more weeks and you'll have a lifetime of happiness with her :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I wished you would have read some of my posts on my Sennie Tiki. In my opinion, Senegals and children don't mix. They are mischevious birds That can be sweet one minute wanting youto pet them and scratch their necks and then all of a sudden turn around and bite the #$^^&&**&((***)(*) out of you. It's like they have split personalities.

But it seems your bird may not have been handled that much while being hand fed. If your birds wings are not clipped, I would get them clipped. It will make it easier to bond with your bird. Flighted birds are too independant to train easily. He will come to rely on you for things like going from one place to the other.

Now, as far as bonding goes. The bird can bond with anyone in your household or with noone in your house hold. It just all depends on who spends the most time with the bird and which person the bird chooses. Tiki used to adore me, but for some reason, she switched and only tolerates me, but loves to be around my wife.

OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
I did so much research, I was dreaming about it in my sleep. My family thinks I'm obsessed, okay maybe I am just a little. :)

My daughter is almost 16, she is a natural and fearless when it comes to birds (see photo). She is going to volunteer at our local bird store, starting one day next week. She loves birds and she is really good with her P'let, Kiwi.

At this point Rio will step up, and sit on my shoulder. She isn't very inquisitive about being up there, she will just sit there. Or she may chew a little on my robe or preen a little. The breeder did have some kids and I did notice how they handled the birds. In my opinion they were a little rough with them. So this may be at least part of the reason for Rio's reluctance about being touched.

Rio is clipped, and I really think it adds to her frustration and uneasiness. We are watching her body language very carefully, when she is uncomfortable we back off. My daughter got bit twice because she wasnt paying attention. Right now I have no choice but to make the most of this time we have together (until her first molt) and try and bond. When she gets her flight feathers back, I am going to see if her personality will change. I do have a harness for her, but I can't even imagine trying to put it on her if she doesn't trust me.

I wished you would have read some of my posts on my Sennie Tiki. In my opinion, Senegals and children don't mix. They are mischievous birds That can be sweet one minute wanting youto pet them and scratch their necks and then all of a sudden turn around and bite the #$^^&&**&((***)(*) out of you. It's like they have split personalities.

But it seems your bird may not have been handled that much while being hand fed. If your birds wings are not clipped, I would get them clipped. It will make it easier to bond with your bird. Flighted birds are too independant to train easily. He will come to rely on you for things like going from one place to the other.

Now, as far as bonding goes. The bird can bond with anyone in your household or with noone in your house hold. It just all depends on who spends the most time with the bird and which person the bird chooses. Tiki used to adore me, but for some reason, she switched and only tolerates me, but loves to be around my wife.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 790
OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi (P'let) and I instantly bonded too. She was 8 weeks when we got her, she was to be and is my daughters bird, and is bonded to her. But Kiwi is very social with me as well.

I am going to take your advise and just stick with what I know she is comfortable with at this time and not push it. I certainly do not want to ruin what we have accomplished by flooding her. But, eventually I do want to get her in to a harness, before her first molt and her wings are back.

So right now:

She will step up on command, even when taking her out of her cage, from on top of her cage to move her from spot to spot.

She will sit on a shoulder with no problems, so far.

She will take food from your hand, especially if it is a safflower seed :) and she does get inquisitive about what I am eating and will stare endlessly at me until I offer her some. And then she is like "eh, no thanks."

She does make some cute sounds, one is like a gerbil, or like a coo.

We will see what happens.... Thx

Me and Merlin were instantaneously bonded. In the shop before we technically bought him he was 'mine'. He was 8 weeks old and easy to manipulate! However, that is not always the case! Especially with stubborn senegals!

Rio is still a baby and has been taken from what was familiar. You said you sit and talk to her and she gets puffy and content well, just stick with doing that! You don't have to be all hands on deck at this stage, it's only going to make her more anxious of you. Anticipating being touched when right now she's still unsure of you and your hands.

For now I'd say just keep her caged and chat to her. Give her treats through the cage bars. When she's showing less signs of being nervous and anxious around you (through the cage) try her out side just 'riding' around on you. On let her be on a playstand with you near just chatting.

Treat her, not as a new baby that will instantly bond to everyone, but as an elder who needs that time to learn to trust that hands arn't for biting or being snatched at; but for scritches, cuddles and step ups!

Who knows how long it will take? As she is still young I expect it to be relatively fast but it's not an overnight job!

I know Merlin doesn't particularly like hands, especially when cranky or shown them at certain times (do not expect him to step up from his cage with hands, you're asking for a bite!) So even now at 2 years old (and no 'traumatic' experiences with hands) he's not a big fan of them. But he will let you give him scritches and cuddles and play with you... on his terms.

A lot of people approach birds like they would dogs - always eager to meet people, always eager to make friends. They're not, they take much more time and I understand you're excited and nervous, but don't be. Just give her a few more weeks and you'll have a lifetime of happiness with her :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
I can't help but think that maybe she was in a not so good situation before I got her. I don't know i just can't put my finger on it. There are times when I can tell she is relaxed, she will wag her tail, fluff her feathers on her head and around her beak - she looks so cute. But I know it not about being near me. But she will do it when i talk to her, I talk to her all the time. But if I try and approach, she instantly reverts to being nervous.

i would say that was excited! think of it as a face pull, and not always a good sign, if my nut did this i would watch for, eye pinning, if the nuts stood, body up right, i would continue to give her a head rub.
if however her head is lowered, her full face and beak, facing me i would back off, but at other times she can do all above, but her head is lowered in a bow, beak is not pointing at me. that is safe

what do you call her body as being nervous??

ok try not to look full face at your bird, tilt head etc, when your birds doing the eye to eye contact, look for a blink from your bird, and return the deliberate slow blink, tilt you head. you can initiate this greeting.

a greeting does not always have to involve a head scritch, do that when your bird invites you to give her one, but becarefull, mine use to pretend to ask by bowing her head, to being me across room, before biting me :11: there little devils these sennies all:10: then:09::30: then:mad: lol

oh do the eating thing, keep sunflower seeds as treats only, not part of diet. i use to and still do share food, from my plate with the nut and we share a meal, she also joins us for our evening family meal :32:

your doing well, with your little rio, not all birds start out all over you, mine started out all over me, then my man, now me and in between (in the 1st year) she was biting, attacking, flying attacks, often drawing blood, bruising breaking the skin :52:
not to mention set backs, hormones etc

let us know how you get on :)

mtdoramike

Supporting Member
Jan 18, 2011
Media
Mt. Dora Fl./central Fl.
Parrots
11 month old Senegal Parrot - 3 year old SI Eclectus
I did so much research, I was dreaming about it in my sleep. My family thinks I'm obsessed, okay maybe I am just a little. :)

My daughter is almost 16, she is a natural and fearless when it comes to birds (see photo). She is going to volunteer at our local bird store, starting one day next week. She loves birds and she is really good with her P'let, Kiwi.

At this point Rio will step up, and sit on my shoulder. She isn't very inquisitive about being up there, she will just sit there. Or she may chew a little on my robe or preen a little. The breeder did have some kids and I did notice how they handled the birds. In my opinion they were a little rough with them. So this may be at least part of the reason for Rio's reluctance about being touched.

Rio is clipped, and I really think it adds to her frustration and uneasiness. We are watching her body language very carefully, when she is uncomfortable we back off. My daughter got bit twice because she wasnt paying attention. Right now I have no choice but to make the most of this time we have together (until her first molt) and try and bond. When she gets her flight feathers back, I am going to see if her personality will change. I do have a harness for her, but I can't even imagine trying to put it on her if she doesn't trust me.

I wished you would have read some of my posts on my Sennie Tiki. In my opinion, Senegals and children don't mix. They are mischievous birds That can be sweet one minute wanting youto pet them and scratch their necks and then all of a sudden turn around and bite the #$^^&&**&((***)(*) out of you. It's like they have split personalities.

Very beautiful young lady, I can see she has great bird skills and doesn't seem to be at all afraid of them and Cockatoo's scare me hahahahaha. But it will take time to gain his trust. It took us a couple of months really working with Tiki. But it has paid off. I keep her clipped. I waited too long this last time to get her groomed so her flight feathers started growing out rapidly. She was on my wife's shoulder and something spooked her and she flew into a nearby room smacking into a wall. Fortunately she was OK but a little groggy. I was on the phone immediately afterwards to get her groomed.

OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots

i would say that was excited! think of it as a face pull, and not always a good sign, if my nut did this i would watch for, eye pinning, if the nuts stood, body up right, i would continue to give her a head rub.
if however her head is lowered, her full face and beak, facing me i would back off, but at other times she can do all above, but her head is lowered in a bow, beak is not pointing at me. that is safe

what do you call her body as being nervous??

ok try not to look full face at your bird, tilt head etc, when your birds doing the eye to eye contact, look for a blink from your bird, and return the deliberate slow blink, tilt you head. you can initiate this greeting.

a greeting does not always have to involve a head scritch, do that when your bird invites you to give her one, but becarefull, mine use to pretend to ask by bowing her head, to being me across room, before biting me :11: there little devils these sennies all:10: then:09::30: then:mad: lol

oh do the eating thing, keep sunflower seeds as treats only, not part of diet. i use to and still do share food, from my plate with the nut and we share a meal, she also joins us for our evening family meal :32:

your doing well, with your little rio, not all birds start out all over you, mine started out all over me, then my man, now me and in between (in the 1st year) she was biting, attacking, flying attacks, often drawing blood, bruising breaking the skin :52:
not to mention set backs, hormones etc

Rio gives some pretty clear signs she is uncomfortable with a situation.

If you go to touch say, her head, she will either try and move away or sit way back. Sometimes so far back it looks like is will fall. lol

She will pace, look around, to try and find a place to escape. Slowly lifting her wings.

The feathers (I almost said hair) will stand up on the back of her neck. But I have never seen her fan out her tail feathers. She will wag her tail and I know she is content when she does this.

Today I took her out of her cage, after some step up, she did her "bomb" and then I placed her on her stand. After a few minutes, I got some safflower seeds (her fav) she immediately turned around for me (something I was teaching her yesterday - she remembered) I asked her to turn around, she complied, she got a seed. We did this about 10 times, and ended the session with her eating the last few seeds out of my hand and then I fed her her breakfast mash. Happy bird. I will offer her my hand but if she shows any signs discomfort, I back off, wait for her to calm and then try again.

After breakfast she sat on my husband shoulder for a while, did some beak grinding and took a lil nap. About and hr or so later i put her on my shoulder, fed her some seeds, then she had a bath, preened for a while and I put her in her cage, and she is now still preening.

I really want to go at her pace, but then I have these days when I feel frustrated because its just not happening fast enough. I know she is going to bluff me and i want to make sure I react appropriately. Today she started to hiss, that was funny she hissed and then bowed her head. She did it about 4 times. What the heck does that mean? :09:

OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots

Very beautiful young lady, I can see she has great bird skills and doesn't seem to be at all afraid of them and Cockatoo's scare me hahahahaha. But it will take time to gain his trust. It took us a couple of months really working with Tiki. But it has paid off. I keep her clipped. I waited too long this last time to get her groomed so her flight feathers started growing out rapidly. She was on my wife's shoulder and something spooked her and she flew into a nearby room smacking into a wall. Fortunately she was OK but a little groggy. I was on the phone immediately afterwards to get her groomed.

Thank you! She is a really good kid. I attached another with her and a macaw. I am chicken, and she is fearless. LOL

When I got Kiwi - P'let, she had a baby cut, and would helicopter and then coast gently to the ground. Then I had a wedding so I was going to be out of town. I got a house sitter to take care of my dog and Kiwi. For my friends piece of mind, I had her wings clipped a bit more, and she dropped like a rock. Omg! I felt so bad. That was two months ago. Her wings are now growing out, and she can coast a lil.

Rio came to me clipped, she drops like a rock. Every time this happens it makes me think how it is affecting my bird psychologically. Makes me so mad at her breeder that he clipped her the way he did. And her flight feathers - where they were cut, bothers her. I can't wait for them to grow out! If I decide to clip again it will not be as drastic. I have harnesses for both birds can't wait to use them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 529

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
I can't help but think

Rio gives some pretty clear signs she is uncomfortable with a situation.

I really want to go at her pace, but then I have these days when I feel frustrated because its just not happening fast enough. I know she is going to bluff me and i want to make sure I react appropriately. Today she started to hiss, that was funny she hissed and then bowed her head. She did it about 4 times. What the heck does that mean? :09:

i have no idea, but if it was nut, i'd think i have annoyed her, hissing is never good, unless it was a squeal, squeals are good normally means excited in a good way, but could still bite cos i'm soooo excited eeekk:30: lol

its sounds like your doing well, an like you said at rio's pace

it took nut a good yr to completely settle, understand her place so to speak

the longer you have rio the more her personality, will slowly come out. there are days when the nut decides she one of us, so to speak an just walks on the floor, an attack a few toes, walk behind us etc so when ever she is out, we always make sure we know where she is to be safe. she is fully flighted, and just because she is flighted does not mean they know how to fly everywhere, she still cannot fly downstairs lol

OP
Wdlodge

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Suebee,

Thanks for the vote of confidence. It's just going to take time. I'm being impatient.

I don't know what I did to annoy her, but if I did, it sure was an interesting reaction from her. :09:

Sometimes she makes this creaking sound, does yours ever do this?

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
as in a beak grind?? if its beak grind, its tired/sleepy or content :)

and we will never know what we do to annoy them some days, they are just that way out lol

Most Reactions

Latest posts