Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
From the website it "appears" that she runs a 'closed aviary'... She says it's for the safety of the birds, but does she even know that a MAJOR REASON for a 'closed aviary system' is for DISEASE CONTROL?!! :eek: ...apparently not. She needs to not use the words "closed aviary" on her website! :mad:

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
That is horrible! It's one thing to deal with people like the ones I was looking to get a Rosie from--ones that honestly think they are good breeders even if they aren't--and someone who let's their business get to the point where they are shipping out sick birds! I am soooo angry for you that I cannot even expressit! Spread the word so it doesn't happen to others--I am praying for Jack!

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I actually spoke to her about possibly getting a baby from her before I found Loki.

Phew...

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
So sorry to learn of the results and hope Jack will test negative.

When the law does nothing to protect innocent chicks and buyers from the scourge of bad breeders, it rests with ethical avian hobbyists to spread the word. There seems to be incontrovertible evidence the purveyor in question is a hazard.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
When the law does nothing to protect innocent chicks and buyers from the scourge of bad breeders, it rests with ethical avian hobbyists to spread the word. There seems to be incontrovertible evidence the purveyor in question is a hazard.

Right, but unfortunately there will always be more irresponsible (and well meaning but ignorant) breeders than there are great ones I'm afraid, with the vast majority of the bird loving population also unaware (or under aware) of how close to home these issues really are.

I hate to further put a damper on things, but I want to remind members of this... Same thing with BIRD MARTS. They are also "fun but potentially deadly". Many, many "breeders" there who don't know the first thing about deadly disease unfortunately. They have done experiments in marts across the US with disease test swabs on tables and the environment, and ALL came back with deadly viruses. (Not to get off topic, but you can search for a thread called bird mart dangers that I posted last year for more info).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Sorry to hear about the result....That breeder should be informed of the virus spreading in her aviary.....She needs to refund your money back, but she might try to put the blame on you saying it happened under your care.....Non the less, she should be stopped!!!

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
So Ana said I had 72 hours from picking up my birds to get them tested so she's not at fault. She said other people had their babies tested and they all tested healthy. I don't believe this because the testing for chlamydia was $200 and now the testing for polyomavirus is $240. She thinks it's a $25 test. Whether there's a superficial test available or not that costs that little, I don't know. Two avian vets say that if there are no other birds in our home that the disease came from the breeder.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Ana DISGUSTS me! :mad: I'm not surprised she's not willing to take responsibility.

I am so sorry, lizard!! :(

Puck

Mar 8, 2015
That makes me SO angry!!!!! Sometimes I love that we have so much freedom concerning what we do with animals (and who can breed them!) here in America, and sometimes I wish we had MUCH stricter regulations!

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Ugh! I second Wendy's post. :mad:

It does cost much less to test yourself with a kit from Avian Biotech, BUT... That's beside the point here!! Ana's attitude toward this is disgusting and an outrage. HOW can she not know by now that she is the reason for contagious deadly disease! I can bet this isn't the first time it has come up. She knows it!

How do you stop this? Even if she were effectively put out of business and had the hundreds of birds tested, what would happen to the birds?! The thought of this whole thing is truly disturbing. Even worse is knowing she's far from being the only one out there like this.

Because disease is unfortunately constantly being perpetuated out there, it will never be eradicated :(. I always think too bad they aren't like dogs... Vaccines for everything. Actually there is a Polyoma vaccine, but I'm sure Ana is not interested in it...

Last edited:

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I am so sorry to hear that polyoma is the cause, and angered (though not surprised) by your breeder's response.

I'm praying that Jack tests negative.

As for Ana's callous 72 hour policy, (which doesn't even make sense to me. Who could get results in 72 hours? And are you, as the consumer, expected to test for every possible disease within said 72 hour period? That would likely cost significantly more than the original price of the bird) my thought is that you should make clear to her your willingness to go VERY public over this. It might make a difference.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Unfortunately most breeders have that 72hrs policy.....It's sad that some of these people can not be trusted and we're getting birds from them....

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
I think the policy would be to draw the test within 72 hrs and send it for
Testing, not necessarily to have the results back. Since that would rule out being contracted in the new home.

Very sorry she is doing this.

camo

Jun 30, 2014
Parrots
Gizmo - Male Eclectus Parrot

Pebbles - Female Eclectus Parrot
Sorry to hear. I hope Jack is negative!!

Her claim of it only costing $25 makes no sense. Under her warranty she states " You must pay to take the bird to an avian vet." An avian vet doing a test for $25, I think not.

Regardless it sounds like a sickening attitude, if she isn't asking to see the report and saying she is having her birds tested, then clearly her priority is money over the wellbeing of the birds.

I hope you achieve a resolution, and I hope her future customers read this post before making the decision to proceed. Given her attitude, I think it's appropriate to spread your experience throughout the Internet as much as possible.

Cheers,

Camo

drlisaort

Nov 3, 2012
Hollywood, Florida
Parrots
Oliver, Male (SI) Eclectus

Right, but unfortunately there will always be more irresponsible (and well meaning but ignorant) breeders than there are great ones I'm afraid, with the vast majority of the bird loving population also unaware (or under aware) of how close to home these issues really are.

I hate to further put a damper on things, but I want to remind members of this... Same thing with BIRD MARTS. They are also "fun but potentially deadly". Many, many "breeders" there who don't know the first thing about deadly disease unfortunately. They have done experiments in marts across the US with disease test swabs on tables and the environment, and ALL came back with deadly viruses. (Not to get off topic, but you can search for a thread called bird mart dangers that I posted last year for more info).

Very scary thought to think of the dangers out there...even most likely where I take Oliver to get his nails clipped. I'm sure the owner/breeder means well but I often see his vats of seed etc open with people and birds going in and out to grab morsels....

OP
lizard

lizard

Dec 2, 2014
Emmaus, PA
Parrots
Jack, SI Eclectus
Apollo, Golden Conure
She's not responding to my last email which cites that her contract means nothing under UCC law. She thinks it's more likely that I brought the virus into my house from petco than it is to have come from her house.

I'm ready to start posting my story (just the facts) everywhere, but my husband says I need to control myself until we get the money back. This is so frustrating, especially because I'm waiting on a second diagnosis for my remaining guy.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Document EVERYTHING, including the last time she wrote back. Note her 'deliberate' silence (or should I say her avoidance to face the facts).

Your husband has a valid point, even though I seriously doubt she'll refund you a single dime. :( Wait until you have Jack's results, if you can, get something in writing from your vet.

Then...let lose on the internet!

LadiDy

Feb 7, 2015
Media
USA, Macon, GA
Parrots
Military Macaw; Princess Storm, 25yo
CAG; Alex The Bird, 24yo
Eclectus; Ummbella, 2yo
Hopefully Jack will test negative. If not then there's more than enough evidence for a civil law case. I'm not sure of the cost, but with all your documentation backed by vets, it sounds like a winner to me. Believe me, Ana will reap what she has sown. Polyoma in a breeder's aviary is no joke.

amjokai

Apr 19, 2014
Wahiawa, Oahu, Hawaii
Parrots
Eclectus, Blue and Gold Macaw, Cockatiels, Ringnecks, Green Cheek Conure
OH MY THIS MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL! I'm so sorry for your loss!!!
So I live in Hawaii, on the island of Oahu. For a long time there were no cases of polyoma or pbfd.... In the last few months we have had confirmation of one case of polyoma and a confirmed case of PBFD in a lovebird bought from a petstore.... the lady had NO other birds, and did the test and mailed it to avian biotech the same day she brought the bird home..... The petstore REFUSES to take responsibility..... They destroyed the bird and effectively destroyed the evidence.... She did send the parrot clubs here the positive test and receipts and stuff so I think they may try to do something about it.... I tested my whole flock with avianbiotech.com just to make sure I didn't bring it home in one of my birds..... thankfully everyone came up negative.... its scary though cause there are soooo many birds here in close proximity, and its an island so we have no escape from it... and no winter to kill it if it is in the ground or on surfaces.... :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts