Female died from polyoma virus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Doublete

Mar 15, 2015
Maryland
Parrots
"Loki" turquoise GCC 1/4/15 hatch date-- "Chiqui" amazon 9/2010 hatch date---- "Banner" green parrotlet hatchdate 11/22/16

RIP "pineapple" lovebird
Any updates?
I was wandering around fb tonight and came across Ana's page.. Seems she shipped out a whole bunch of babies recently.

Susan

Feb 24, 2006
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Two Budgies.
In all fairness the polyoma virus incubation timeline made it impossible the bird was sold infected. Also the test must be done within 72 hours for this very reason. The results are not required in 72 hours only the biological sample collected.

This thread was permitted to bash a well respected person without anyone (really the person having started this thread) posting a follow up. Here is the follow up;it must be read carefully to understand the chronology of the polyoma pathology. I hold a graduate degree in biotechnology and am employed in the pharmaceutical industry. I also purchased my Major Mitchell's Too from Anna and know dozens of people having purchased dozens of birds from her over the past several years.

'

Ana's Parrots and the Eclectus

AUTHOR: Ana - (USA)

SUBMITTED: Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Since you’ve been posting all over about this I feel that people should get both sides.

Eclectus parrots have near zero toleration for Polyoma. The incubation period is around 2 weeks from exposure and symptoms usually occur 3-10 days after this incubation period. It is highly contagious and is usually spread from parent to baby, by dander, and by feces. People are also transmitters of this disease from dander relocation. It is rare that you will find an asymptomatic bird with Polyoma and even more rare that a Polyoma infected bird would make it to its fledgling stage. An adult exposed to Polyoma would have the same two week incubation period followed by its onset and acute death from the date of infection which would be about a month.

Polymoa if I remember correctly can survive for 6-months without a host. This means if you have a bird that is infected, unless you use a 1/10 solution of bleach on everything, a new bird can be infected with an old virus. You had this bird two months before it died. Anyone with a calculator can see the problems with the accusation that the disease came from parents cleared of all disease more than two years ago with its offspring never showing any symptoms of disease or death. One of the birds from that same clutch was tested and tested negative by the buyer. It would be impossible for infected parents to infect one bird or a clutch being fed by one syringe to not have the disease passed to ALL chicks in that clutch.

After the bird died and was diagnosed with Polyoma you stated that there were no other birds around. In a message dated November 30, 2014 you clearly state that you have two Parrotlets. These birds along with Lovebirds, cockatiels, and cockatoos are known carriers of many diseases and are usually asymptomatic. When the Eclectus died you denied ever making this statement about owning Parrotlets so I have included the screen capture.

One bird died and the other was healthy so why did you do a charge-back for two birds? You could have easily done a partial charge-back for the disputed amount. In the end the credit card issuer sided with us. Why would you attempt to roll the dice and attempt to enrich yourself an additional $1300 by doing what is called “friendly fraud” within the credit community? If the other bird was perfectly healthy, why would you do a charge-back on it?

You had a contract. You questioned its enforceability under UCC. I have seen contracts written on scrap paper that held up. A contract is pretty much a written instrument reflecting an agreement between two or more parties. This contract has already held up to test.

The contract clearly states to have the bird tested within 72 hours. This time frame is reasonable and protects both parties. The clock stops during that 72 hour period until the results are back. The contract protects the seller (us) because a bird newly infected with a disease at a buyer’s home would usually not show antibodies for diseases during that 72 hour period. It also protects the buyer from receiving a sick bird. You did not live up to your end of the agreement and put us in a situation where we were threatened, accounts were frozen, you attempted to have your credit issuer reimburse you for a bird that is alive and doing well, you then threatened us again that if we didn’t pay you “hush money” you would go on a bashing campaign. When we refused because of all of the above we did tell you would pursue legal recourse; this is true. If you do a docket search you will see a trail of legal recourse that as breeders we’ve needed to pursue to make sure our reputation was intact and that persons trying to unjustly enrich themselves were forced to compensate us for damages.

What we have is a contract that was not adhered to. A timeline of death not consistent with Polyoma in an Eclectus. An admission of having other birds and then a recanting of this once the bird was diagnosed. Doing a charge-back on a bird that was perfectly healthy. A follow up demanding money which implied doing damage to reputation if not agreed to.

Anyone reading the above can reasonable come to the same conclusions that we have. The bird was not infected within our premises and the actions that followed were unethical and were a clear attempt of recovering money that you knew did not belong to you since the other bird was healthy. If you had simply followed the contract we would not be hashing this out in public. If the costs of doing these tests were prohibitive, then you should not have bought a bird.

I will save you the dignity of not posting the charge-back information or emails between us because my intent is not to make you look bad, but to defend my practices and let the readers decide who is reputable and who is not.

References and contacts can be found on Facebook via Ana’s Parrots. I'm sure she would be happy to hear from people who are interested in healthy happy parrots.'

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
...This thread was permitted to bash a well respected person without anyone (really the person having started this thread) posting a follow up.

You have resurrected a thread well over two years old to revisit a debate over the tragic death of a member's cherished bird. Now, while I understand your desire to defend your friend, and even respect it despite the length of time that has elapsed, I take exception to your characterization of this thread as a bashing. As I recall, the quote you've posted in Ana's defense was already posted by Ana herself two years back. She simply chose to do so in another thread.

I have no problem with you quoting it here, as you may be concerned with future readers reading this thread and not the other. But phrasing your response in such a way as to imply that we've only allowed for one view and not another is misleading. As I said, Ana had her say. And pointed out herself that members could read her words and come to their own conclusions.

jess.reco

Sep 16, 2014
Downunder - Australia
Parrots
Tequila - Solomon Island
Wow....

Lizard I'm so sorry for you :( We've dealt with a dodgy rottweiler breeder before and had to put our puppy down. It's the worst thing every. I hope you're little boy is ok <3

Anansi

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 18, 2013
Somerset,NJ
Parrots
Maya (Female Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Jolly (Male Solomon Island eclectus parrot), Bixby (Male, red-sided eclectus. RIP), Suzie (Male cockatiel. RIP)
I think the post just before this one is a good place to close this thread, ending it on a positive and encouraging note. It has run its course, and there is no longer a productive reason to keep it open.

If you're reading this, Liz, our thoughts and best wishes are still with you and Jack. Your presence has been missed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most Reactions

Latest posts