Finally have some sort of plan

RisingSun

Feb 6, 2013
Florida
Parrots
cockatiel - Lucy; SI eclectus - Matisse
I would go for the night cage set-up but as I live in an apartment I'm stuck as to where the second cage would go. Bathroom is a no-go as I often go during the night and with thin-ish walls from the bedroom to the neighbors I wouldn't want the morning shout to annoy my neighbors, also I normally watch tv in bed before sleeping wouldn't want to keep him up with that. The cage space I had before let them look out the window where my conure would watch the cars driving by and the wild parakeets in the trees.

Is only me at home so being free-roaming all day isn't really a option as much as I would like to.

Yes I do work in an office, if it wasn't for filling papers away I could work at home full-time but unfortunately all paperwork has to be filed away so I can't. It's a very small business, me being one of 2 people doing finance but my work is a 15 minute walk from home so not far at all. I'd bring him into work (my bosses actually said they wouldn't mind on occasion) but there's mold in the neighboring office and I think in the AC unit so wouldn't be safe for him.

Other than the mold in the office next door, sounds like a lovely place to work, with only a 15 minute walk. Nice! Working from home is not for everybody anyway, even when it is an option. Although, I thought I would hate it (I was practically forced to go home), I ended up liking it, because of course I get to spend more time with my BFFs (the birds lol).

The sleep cage could just go on top of the regular cage, provided it has a flat top. The idea is to keep him out of his daytime cage until right before you leave...keep it locked until then. You seem to leave early enough, that I would not even let him in there to eat until the second before you walk out the door. In the morning you would open up his sleep cage, of course there will be water in there, and you can put some snacks in there in the morning. And then spend time time with him away from the cages, bring him in the shower with you using a shower perch, have him hang out with you in the kitchen while you are preparing his food, do some physical activities with him.

When it is time for you to leave, let him sit and watch you set up his daytime cage with new toys and activities, and the food. The idea is to get him excited about his day, and build up the anticipation. So that he doesn't see you leaving as a bad thing, he'll see it as the time to get into the fun cage with all the food and toys and activities. Also, you will need to wake up early enough to spend all this time with him, which means you may need to change his natural schedule a bit. He will have to go to bed earlier, so that he can wake up earlier. My cockatiel is ready for attention the second I open the cage, even if it is dark out. My Eclectus however, gives me the grumpy bird back for a good 30 minutes or more, before he is ready to even come out. And even then he ignores me for like another 15 minutes. If your birdy ends up being like my Eclectus, then I would suggest going out there early, maybe about 30 minutes, flick a couple lights on, say good morning and put on the TV low volume. Go back to bed for 30 more minutes, or whatever you want to do on your own. If not, what could happen is right when they're starting to wake up and really gearing up to get attention from you, it's going to be time for you to leave, which could leave them mad and frustrated with you.

Sorry for the book! I just had experience with this with my birds, and guilt drove me to find the best solutions. And all of these things worked really well for us.

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
all good options thanks! I'll have to see what his current routine is. He comes with his own cage already so he may be used to sleeping there which I don't want to upset. A lot of it would have to be based on his wants of course. I think mornings will be the hardest for me. I'm not a fast riser exactly haha! Even setting an alarm for 6 I normally leave at about 8 as my bed is just too comfy. If I end up getting the home visit I'll try to talk to the person and get ideas from them

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Some basic workout equipment is not expensive (think 1-3 months membership fees) and unless you are extremely serious about working out, just maintaining a healthy activity level and staying in shape doesn't require huge, expensive, fancy machines. Kiwi just LOVES when we workout. He gets super excited and it's free entertainment for him without the hassle of having to go to a gym (or nastiness of touching something some stranger has sweated all over). Extra time with your new companion, one time expense to get some weights, resistance bands, bosu ball etc... instead of a recurring monthly expense, just saying;)

OP
LordTriggs

LordTriggs

May 11, 2017
Surrey, UK
Parrots
Rio (Yellow sided conure) sadly no longer with us
I mainly use it for the swimming pool haha very handy to help relax when not filled.

I have been researching on these guys and never realized how small they are! I think my idea of parrot sizes is completely broken. Although I will say I'm worried about biting and the pain from it (no issues with blood or wounds) I know he will bite if surprised or interrupted from his playing which naturally I don't plan on but we all get nailed in the end. I never really got it bad from my conure, he was pretty good with his bites, they were more to say "stop please" than as a pain bite and of course that tiel isn't much to go by. Everything I see when researching talks about people being permanently scared by Meyers and pios. Just a bit anxious about it

Most Reactions