First Conure

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
My husband and I took a long time to decide on a birdie. Initially I wanted a cockatiel because I had one for about 10 years as a teen and into adulthood. But we did lots of research and finally decided on a sun conure.

We went to a local pet shop and picked him (we call it a him for now) out. Paid a crazy amount. But it was worth it! $450!!! He is 15 weeks old. We've named him Blaze.

The girl working there told us she had a cage for sale...it's huge!! So, we bought that for him. 2'x3'x3' He has lots of room to run around inside, but most of the day we leave the door open...though he is still a little shy about coming out. I had wanted a playtop cage, but this one is not a playtop and I've read the playtops can actually be dangerous. So...I'm making it a playground top! I took a bendable rope perch and secured it to the top of his cage so that the longest part of the rope is straight (horizontal) and he LOVES that. He's got lots of toys inside of the cage to play with and for now four different perches. A rope perch (inside & outside), a natural wooden perch, a store-bought dowel perch, and a little pedi-perch. Also inside two hanging toys (one made of wooden blocks, the other made of all shinies). And then a huge wooden swing. He doesn't have ANY interest in the toys. Just wants to stay perched on the top rope perch. He will even "fly" off of our shoulder to go back to the rope perch. I've also ordered him a Manzanita T-perch that I will secure to the top of his cage along with a set of these. They are special crafting a conure-sized set for me. I also ordered this to attach to the outside of his cage. And of course, how could his home be complete without a porch ? I also would like to order this snugglesack for him, but I'm not sure if he would sleep in that (opinions?)

For now he is eating [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Kaytee-Fiesta-Conure-Food/dp/B000HHM824/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316407099&sr=8-1"]Kaytee Fiesta Conure Food[/ame] and I've tested out a few fresh foods with him (boiled egg which he absolutely LOVED, orange, boiled potato)...I intend to slowly introduce more fresh fruits/veggies. I'm familiar with the list of things he can and cannot have. I did order this [ame="http://bit.ly/pK3QuB"]food[/ame] for him and I plan to slowly get him off of the Fiesta blend. (opinions?) I also got him a [ame="http://bit.ly/nVeEEM"]buffetball[/ame]

This is his second day with us. Yesterday he loved my husband and wouldn't leave his hand/shoulder. Today he loves me & his cage-top rope perch. I think he only loves me because he's learned I'm adorned with shinies (wedding ring, earrings, necklace)...and he loves to snuggle into my hair and he just can't do that with my husband.

We would love to start training him quickly. He is already alerting us when the front door is opened. We've positioned his cage in our back "bedroom" aka our computer room which is where we spend 99% of our time since it's just the two of us and our two dogs. (No kids...just one very excited nephew who can't wait to meet our bird). Any recommendations on things to train and how to go about doing it, etc.? Frankly I don't care if he ever talks. We just want him to have fun and be loved. I have read that conures aren't very good "talkers" anyhow.

At night I am just covering his cage with a fitted queen-sized sheet. He doesn't seem to really chew...at all. If it's ever a problem I'll probably order a canvas coverlet.

Ok...so any advice for this new conure Mama would be appreciated!

:orange:

Link to the porch: http://bit.ly/qMjbGD
Link to the buffet ball: http://bit.ly/nVeEEM
Link to the new food: http://bit.ly/pK3QuB

(Sorry, no idea why the links won't work half way through the post)

Last edited:
OP
kriskoeh

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
I just noticed some of my links aren't working. Sorry for the sloppy look...but I didn't make them not work :p

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
Hi! Welcome to the forum! And congrats on your new lil one. I've only been a conure momma for a few months but its been great. I didnt think my lil Rio would talk, but amazingly enough she says her name, and makes this kissing noise! Its so cute...again welcome and good luck!

Printer bird

Jan 4, 2011
Calgary, AB
Parrots
Dipper, 8 year old WC Pionus
RIP Charlie, Green Cheek Conure,
Lelu, parrotlet and
Poe the budgie.
Sounds like you are doing great! I'd wean him off the fiesta mix (too many seeds) and onto a pellet like Harrisons - which is sounds like you are doing anyways. Then you can give him the fiesta mix as a treat every so often. Keep offering fresh veg, sometimes they take a bit but they will end up loving it. He will start playing with toys once he's more comfortable - trust me on this!

You can train your bird easily by using rewards. Our GCC loves loves loves bits of almond and will do anything for them. The easiest is to start with something simple like step up (for getting onto your hand) and then giving him a treat when he does it. Then you can progress to more challenging tricks. Easiest are ones that reinforce behaviors that they already do (maybe a funny dance, or a sound they make etc). We found touch training to be easy as well - put a stick in front of your conure and when they touch it with their beak (they will usually do this as they are curious) say good! Or use a clicker and give them a treat. It took charlie exactly two minutes to figure this out and will scoot along and touch a stick to get an almond even if he hasn't done the trick for awhile.

Lots of great advice here enjoy your new little guy, they are fun!

OP
kriskoeh

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
The easiest is to start with something simple like step up (for getting onto your hand) and then giving him a treat when he does it.

Thank you for the great advice! I'm thinking of ordering a clicker. I'll have to find some unsalted almonds and give that a try.

Actually, the really cool thing is that the girl at the pet shop had already trained him the "step up" command and so he does that. So cute.

chadfromnc

Sep 19, 2011
NC
Parrots
Sun Conure
Congrats on your Sun Conure I had got my first one this past April and hes been teaching me alot every day!!!

Bobioden

Jun 27, 2011
Denver
Parrots
Maxx & Emma -Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conures (Male & Female)
Congrats on your new GCC. YOu will love being owned by one.

I he can fly, have you thought of getting his wings clipped?

OP
kriskoeh

kriskoeh

Sep 18, 2011
Parrots
Sun Conure
Congrats on your new GCC. YOu will love being owned by one.

I he can fly, have you thought of getting his wings clipped?

Mine is actually a sun. :)

His wings are clipped. He can mostly get a little lift but doesn't make it very far. I haven't decided yet if I will keep them clipped or not.

So far really enjoying him. He went NUTS today when my husband got home from work. He just couldn't contain himself. He was fluffing up his feathers and screaming and dancing and jumping and kissing and shaking his head. He was so happy my husband was home.

Thanks for all of the great advice and well wishes, everyone!

:orange:

Customcasket

Aug 24, 2011
Media
New Jersey
Parrots
Female Dusky Conure (Kayak) Female Sun Conure (Carlisle) Female Budgie (Meister) Male Budgie (Spooky Burd)
Beautiful little birdie :) I love suns. They're so bright and colorful.

My sun came eating that junk food. Try pellets and keep after your little guy with fruits and veggies and everything good and healthy! My sun is a stubborn little bugger. He will not eat anything other than his pellets and occasionally a veggie. I'm trying though. I didnt have him when he was younger :'( otherwise he'd have learned veggies=tasty.

Good luck with your little guy! Start young with good habits and you'll have a happy healthy buddy for many, many years.

Most Reactions

Latest posts