first day out of the cage!

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
so I want to share this with all of you!
This is my phoebus' first day out of the cage!:)I think he has never been out before..I was trying all this 1 1/2 month to get him get used to me and I think we have done some good steps.so today I decided to let him out a bit.I have to mention his wings are not clipped, basicaly because I have seen pics from all of you people and I didn't see any clipped wigs.Maybe I should have him clipped because he is not totaly tamed..:06:
so I opened the top of his gage and he stood there hesitating to go out or not?when he saw me holding his favourite treat he came and sat on the top confidently.he stayed very calm and was in a good mood.he ate some and played a little with his toys.then I thought I would try to make him step up on my arm..he wouldn't,so I tried with a perch but when I moved it a bit he wouldn't go there either.I think that he doesn't like being on something that moves yet.he probably doesn't feel safe..then he saw something probably on the tv that was close to him and flew...but I couldn't make him stop then.he flew all around hanging from the lamps and I was scared that he bites some wires..he didn't!when he finally came down and pooped on my bed:mad: :D I towelled him and put him back to his cage..that was it for today definetely!
Am I on the correct way? should I have him clipped? Did I try to go far?
Is there anyone here who had an adult untamed parrot?

darkchi

Dec 6, 2006
Albany, NY
Parrots
Cricket -C.A.G
We talk about clipping a lot here, and it all a matter of opinion... my baby is clipped, but I am letting the feathers grow out. If she doen't take to well on having her feathers back.... like geting into trouble, I will let them grow back.

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Yeah we have a lot of clipped and flighted birdies here, all mine are flighted but I think our little Chalie (Bourkes Parrakeet) had his clipped before he was able to fly. :( He doesn't fly too well but he's getting better all the time. :D

There are pros and cons to both and its very much a personal choice.

Is there anyone here who had an adult untamed parrot?

Once a long time ago, I had a wild caught bird :( (I had rescued him) he was about 15 years old and with a lot of love, patience and after quite a few bites we got him to the stage of landing on my arm. But he didn't have any idea what was expected of him. In the end I had him clipped and worked with him, and it really made a difference. I don't think he had ever stayed anywhere long enough for anyone to work with him, In the end we had a loving bird. Having him clipped helped me a lot as he couldn't just take off when ever he got the urge to do so, which was most of the time.

You are definately on the right track with your guy, take it slow and he'll soon get to know what you expect of him. How old is he?

OP
pheobus

pheobus

Jun 14, 2007
Media
This petshop owner told he had him at the shop for 4 years.I think it's five but I'm not sure if it is the same bird.And that when he bought him he was almost 1 year old maybe a bit younger.So according to him the bird must be between 5-8 years old.Should I trust him?The parrot doesn't seem like he was caught as an adult because I've seen other wildcaught adults that are like tigers in their cages..

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
My post has ended up in the wrong place.
Can it be retrieved?
I posted a long winded answer to this post, but its gone somewhere else.
can any one see it?
Found it,...dunno what happened there
I have wrestled with this problem since I got Skippah.
I want him uncaged, yet safe and happy at all times. So to clip or not to clip?
I had to clip him when he was younger so I could get near him. To convince him to enjoy my company, I clipped his wing. He could coast down and even flap upwards for a short distance. Last 3 feathers of one wing. In the time the wing has been unclipped, I have worked a lot with him handling wise. Maybe over handling? can you do that? Anyway. Now that he no longer lives in a cage, but on a perch 24/7 (see pix elsewhere, its a cool prech) he can be handled by me and Debbie. He has fewer panicy attack in reagrds to kittens walking neaby and dogs play fighting underfoot. So now He is a more Happy confident bird, I am tempted to let his wing grow out. He will step up on command, even when scared, even on the end of a broom, so I think I can handle it.
This would mean I have a fully flighted Cockatoo loose in the house, and I am not sure what problems that would bring.
Dilemma: non caged bird? Still safe?
Caged bird? Unhappy bird?
Uncaged, flighted bird? Happy, safe bird,.....Win Win?
I am trying to make the latter work. A fully flighted bird, on a perch, 24/7 who is happy and safe at all times. So far so good.

I have pictures to prove its working so far, but if he gets too "cocky" or dominant or flighty or anti social in any way, I will again clip him and let it grow out again and try and work on the problem as it grows out. Then in 4 or five years I will have worked out all the bird bugs and have the perfect uncaged, fully flighted, walking talking flyng buddy.

Right? thats all it should take? Right?

Last edited:

Peta

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Sep 7, 2006
Red, with work, then I can see no reason why Skippah shouldn't be the happy, content, flighted and cageless Too that you are hoping for. It may take a few clips or it may work right away. You are able to read Skippah so well, and that is a big plus.

Most Reactions

Latest posts