First ever budgie

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
If his poops are moist he's probably drinking. Budgies don't need to drink a lot of water. They come from a pretty dry environment and their kidneys are good at conserving water.
His flight feathers will probably be grown in enough for him to fly better in a couple months. English Budgies are big comparer to American and Australian budgies and weigh quite a bit more (ask the vet his weight). Because they're so big they need more and longer flight feathers to fly well. My smaller lighter American budgies and my half English budgie can still fly amazingly well with their primary flight feathers shortened about one inch. I doubt they could fly well with uneven flights like Wolfy has right now.
I'm not trying to convince you to keep your bird's wings trimmed. Unless there's a safety risk to me or my birds I like my birds to have full flight.

OP
W

Wolverine

Jun 22, 2023
Derby, UK
Parrots
1 brand new budgie
How's Wolfie doing?
We went to the vets, he said not to even the clip as his flight feathers are growing through so it would mean waiting even longer. Keep everything as low as possible in the cage for him until he is back to normal. He is moulting right now so offering him baths regularly which he jumps on to drink out of in my hand which I love šŸ˜. He weighs 37g and is around 8 months old which vet says is a good weight for an English type though he could get up to double the weight of an Australian type which surprised me haha. I bought him some fresh herb plants for the windowsill so he has a fresh supply of basil and dill, also tried some blueberries which he wanted nothing to do with but the basil has had a few nibbles. He is hand tame for sure but still nervous around me but I sit with him most of the day talking to him like a person hahaha and I play him music while I go on the school run. First week and he has been on his swing and most of his perches, doesnā€™t seem to understand there is water in his water pot though which makes me worry he is only drinking when I offer him a bath, can I keep an open source of water like his bath in the cage? If itā€™s changed and cleaned regularly? He can stand in it and get in and out easily, Iā€™m just worried he may get into trouble with it when Iā€™m not there with him not be fully able at the minute.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
We went to the vets, he said not to even the clip as his flight feathers are growing through so it would mean waiting even longer. Keep everything as low as possible in the cage for him until he is back to normal. He is moulting right now so offering him baths regularly which he jumps on to drink out of in my hand which I love šŸ˜. He weighs 37g and is around 8 months old which vet says is a good weight for an English type though he could get up to double the weight of an Australian type which surprised me haha. I bought him some fresh herb plants for the windowsill so he has a fresh supply of basil and dill, also tried some blueberries which he wanted nothing to do with but the basil has had a few nibbles. He is hand tame for sure but still nervous around me but I sit with him most of the day talking to him like a person hahaha and I play him music while I go on the school run. First week and he has been on his swing and most of his perches, doesnā€™t seem to understand there is water in his water pot though which makes me worry he is only drinking when I offer him a bath, can I keep an open source of water like his bath in the cage? If itā€™s changed and cleaned regularly? He can stand in it and get in and out easily, Iā€™m just worried he may get into trouble with it when Iā€™m not there with him not be fully able at the minute.
Yes! Give him a nice big water bowl so he can enjoy bathing and playing in the water as well as drinking! Everything else was great news, too. He's young, molting, and healthy. He will be able to fly in a month or two when his new feathers grow in. You've got a beautiful, floofy-headed English boy to enjoy for many years to come and will be best friends in no time- he may even learn to talk!
I would take him to the vet (he sound like a good bird doctor) every six months to a year for check ups.
Please post new pictures of your buddy when he gets his wings back.

Most Reactions