First go ever at target training Kiwi

Hermit57

Aug 16, 2013
West Virginia
Parrots
Rocko - Blue Fronted Amazon
Sasha - Goffin Cockatoo
Ziggy - Cockatiel
I was surprised at how fast my BFA picked up on clicker training. One thing I did was color the tip of the dowel with blue food coloring. That gives him a specific target. If he doesn't touch it right away, I withdraw it and step back. He's learned there's no click or treat unless he gives it his immediate attention.

4dugnlee

Apr 27, 2014
Ohio
Parrots
Sassy - 13 y.o. Blue Front Amazon, Cisco - 6 y.o. Sun Conure, Peanut - 8 y.o. U2
Fred - 2(?) y.o. Cockatiel, Ginger - 3 or 4(?) y.o. Cockatiel
I tried target training with Sassy. I used a small wooden stick and it didn't go very well because she kept biting the end of the stick off...lol. A knitting needle is a great idea! I will try again with a knitting needle. She really has a mind of her own!

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I tried target training with Sassy. I used a small wooden stick and it didn't go very well because she kept biting the end of the stick off...lol. A knitting needle is a great idea! I will try again with a knitting needle. She really has a mind of her own!

Instead of teaching Sassy to touch the stick, you might instead try teaching her to reach for her. She doesn't have to touch it for her to orientate her head towards it. :)

Most Reactions