First good large parrot?

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
1 Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure: Cody <3
In a few years I would really love to get a larger parrot. My question is, which larger parrot is better for a beginner? The only thing I've had experience with is a cockatiel and a green cheek conure (he has the personality of a big bird though!). I know this is way into the future, but I just want to get some ideas.

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
Suggest you do some volunteer work and interact with the larger birds. That way you will get experience. Or visit a friend that may have a larger parrot. I joined my local bird club where people bring their birds to the meetings. This is another way to interact with the larger birds.

parrotqueen

Jan 14, 2010
Media
United States
Parrots
Pineapple & Sunshine--Gray/wildtype male cockatiels
A good first 'big' bird would be a senegal, pionus, or a red-bellied.

Although, I've read great stories about people who started out with something BIG, like a macaw. It can still end really well whichever route you take.

Happy hunting!

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Thanks :) Well, I was thinking about volunteering, but I don't have any avian rescues around me, and no avian stores either. I'll just have to keep doing some research. I was just looking for a general rule.

Allan Gibbs

Jan 16, 2010
Gilbert, Arizona
Parrots
Blue-Gold baby Macaw
I can see where Spiritbird is coming from. At the very least, visit some stores that will allow you to interact and physically hold the large parrots several times before you take one home. I held my first large parrot (well, an African Grey is technically a medium sized parrot) on Sunday which was about an hour before I bought one from another store. Prior to that I've had parakeets, love birds, and Conure (which prior to the African Grey, I considered large) but I think it's a little different experience with big birds.

Despite all my reading and video research, the one thing that you don’t fully absorb is how much large birds have definitely more of a presence and require more caution than smaller birds. If a parakeet bites, it’s like a pinch. If a love bird or conure bites, it may break the skin and bleed a little. When a large bird bites, most likely you’ll bleed. And, I don’t mean to scare you away from large birds. Biting shouldn’t be common but the potential for injury (especially if you have little kids) is there. Household members should either know how to interact with the birds or avoid very close proximity to them.

PS: And they make a bigger mess when they eat.

Mel

Mar 30, 2010
Media
Sydney Australia
Parrots
Eclectus - Shadow /
Sulfur Crested - Chicka
It would be great if you could interact with some larger parrots as SB suggested but if that's not an option just do heaps of research. Read up on all the different breeds needs & characteristics & when you get a short list start talking to as many people you can who have had experience with those breeds..... this forum (you know how much we like to talk about our birds) vets, breeders etc. Be a little wary of some pet shops looking for a sale, I had one here tell me a sulfur crested is just like owning a big budgie - i don't think so!!

Remember though, just to make it more confusing, every bird is an individual and may not fit the mould so to speak. Take all the info you can, cipher through it and then make your decision.

Another thing that will probably influence your decision is cost. I would love a Macaw or an AG but they are thousands of dollars where I live so they are on my winning the lotto list

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
We kind of started big so I'm a little biased. Our Alex isn't big, but we only had him for about 6 months before our RFM came home, so I really don't know anything else.

Everyone above gives great advice. I would also suggest that if/when you decide on the parrot you want, if you can, visit him before you bring him home. It makes things much less stressful for everyone.

diehl2229

Jun 14, 2010
Vero Beach, Florida
Parrots
We had an CAG about 4 yrs ago but it had congenital problem and not weaned fully and it died. Breeder wouldnt help :( We have decided to give it one more try but this time will be a SI Eclectus
The male Eclectus I think would be perfect!!!!!

apatrimo94

Jun 15, 2010
Media
Hudson Valley, New York
Parrots
Bartleby-Pearl Cockatiel
S'mores-Albino Parakeet
Maybe you try getting a mini macaw? I heard those guys make great beginner macaws and they're lots of fun. Good luck with any choice you make!

OP
GreenCheek

GreenCheek

Aug 27, 2009
Baltimore, Maryland
Parrots
Hmm, thanks! I never really thought of a mini macaw. The severe macaw looks really great! I mean, it's still going to be years until I get another bird, but I love just trying to get an idea. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts