First Jumping Lesson!

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Fargo- Blue and Gold Macaw
Soooooo, this morning i was up at 8am, mum said, do you still want to go to the jumping class? I said of course!

Got my gear into the horse truck, set up Fargo's cage with lots of foraging materials, got dressed, made up Fargo's food, then it was time to go!

We got there at 12:30, and it was meant to be an hour private lesson..
But i rode until 3 :rolleyes:

Well, Kitai was AMAZING!!!!

At first he was upset, cause the instructor was showing me how to bring his head down instead of up in the air ( cause he is a racehorse ), and Kitai quickly learned what to do, you could tell how focused he was!

After 10 minutes i hopped on to give it a go, and Kitai was just magic, he finally bowed his head down nicely (most of the time) hahaha

Then it was jumping time!!!!!

We have never done proper jumps before, only the little ones at home, so this was his FIRST time seeing actual jumps and wings!

There were seven jumps set up in the middle of the arena...all in a straight line, they started off small, then got bigger.. and Kitai was amazing..
He didnt once try and shy at the jump, he just cleared each of them perfectly!

The instructor was sooo amazed, i cant tell you how many times he said
' This horse is amazing' or 'geez, thats a bloody nice horse isnt it' haha
and to make it better, the man had a great sense of humour, so he laughed at my sarcastic witty comments, and he made jokes back!

He couldnt believe how WILLING Kitai was to do anything for me, all he wanted to do was please me..

He said he is soooo calm, and has just a lovely temperament, and that there isnt a nasty bone in his body!

So anyway.. Long story short, Kitai is the best horse ever hahahaha
and now some photos!

Flatwork:

Jumping:
This was his first ever DOUBLE jump, and he cleared it like a pro each time..

and the video!!!
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qKzbrJNakZM&feature=youtu.be"]kitai jumping - YouTube[/ame]

The instructor man said we have ALOT of great potential!!!!!

But i am so proud of Kitai with his first lesson.. You can tell he just loves jumping, there is absolutely no hesitation at all!

Will be getting a lesson every 2 weeks, then will be going to the big arena and hiring out the jump course each week!

Hopefully will be going to a little jumping show next weekend ! :D

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G :D :D :D

You have GREAT form, Tab!!! And Kitai....well he's such SO very special. That horse loves you SO much!

BEAUTFIUL pictures and AWESOME video!

You 2 will make it quite far....mark my words. ;)

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
beautiful!! also, that shade of "tiffany" blue is one of my favorite colors.

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
Your animals are all fantastic Tab, so jealous! :)

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Wow, you sure do have a lot of potential! Kitai's doing brilliantly for a horse off the track! He's bending nicely round your leg and his rhythm and take-off are great! In fact, he doesn't look like a horse who's only beginning to jump - he looks capable of C-grade at least (in Pony Club terms, that is). Keep practicing, but don't make the mistake of running him round and round the training ring so that he gets stale. I think you've got the makings of a great all-rounder here, tab. I'd certainly be thinking about eventing in the future, if that's what you'd like to do. I *love* that you're paying attention to his outline and head carriage at this level. If you don't get those things right at the beginning, it can be a nightmare trying to correct them later on. Well done! :D

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
WOW AMAZING! you two make a great team and he is a wonderful horse!! :)

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
A-M-A-Z-I-N-G :D :D :D

You have GREAT form, Tab!!! And Kitai....well he's such SO very special. That horse loves you SO much!

BEAUTFIUL pictures and AWESOME video!

You 2 will make it quite far....mark my words. ;)

Hehe Thank you :D

I hope so! :rolleyes:

I kept patting him after every jump and saying hes a good boy, and the man said you dont have to do that!! and i said, i want too!!!! :p haha

He is a star in the making!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
beautiful!! also, that shade of "tiffany" blue is one of my favorite colors.

Thank you!! :D

Same here :09: It was a HUGE task getting that outfit... I got the leg wraps, my shirt and jacket last year..
And this year, when i went to buy the saddlecloth, they said- its no longer available in Australia :eek:

I emailed EVERY horse shop in australia, seeing if they had one in stock... and there were only 3 left!! So quickly bought it hahaha

I REALLY want the ear piece for jumping, but they never were available in Australia, only Germany, and i dont think the company will send it :31:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Your animals are all fantastic Tab, so jealous! :)

Haha Thanks :D

and you know, Fargo was in his cage from 10am, till 5pm, and my brother said he didnt make a sound or jump around, he just sat there playing with his toys! Such great boys they both are! :rolleyes:

Although when i got home he was glued to me, just wanted to sit and preen my hair all night hahaha :09:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Wow, you sure do have a lot of potential! Kitai's doing brilliantly for a horse off the track! He's bending nicely round your leg and his rhythm and take-off are great! In fact, he doesn't look like a horse who's only beginning to jump - he looks capable of C-grade at least (in Pony Club terms, that is). Keep practicing, but don't make the mistake of running him round and round the training ring so that he gets stale. I think you've got the makings of a great all-rounder here, tab. I'd certainly be thinking about eventing in the future, if that's what you'd like to do. I *love* that you're paying attention to his outline and head carriage at this level. If you don't get those things right at the beginning, it can be a nightmare trying to correct them later on. Well done! :D

Thank you very much!! Thats what the man said, that he couldnt believe he is off the track with the way hes willing to learn so quickly!

He said that Kitai had me trained really well, wanting to hold his head up, and he was the boss of me, and i said yes because i dont like being mean to him and pulling the reins so hard! :31: But he showed me what to do, and it was like Kitai was a different horse.. so i know i have to be tougher with him until he carries his neck down!

So i will try today and see how we go, hopefully he will be a good boy again!

I also found out, that apparently, having a horses head bent down, you should only do it for 6 minutes! I never knew.. The instructor said thats why dressage tests are 6 minutes, but there is the long stretched open walk in the middle, cause other wise the lactic acid builds up in their neck!

So he said i just do 5 minutes of teaching him to hold his head down, then give him a loose reined walk, then do it again!

and yes thats what the instructor said as well!! Need to get his head carriage and bending outline correct now while he is learning everything to begin with, rather than waiting until he is older and set in his ways!

I would LOVE to do 3 day eventing :D I think Kitai will be great at it now, he is getting better with dressage now with his head carriage, he loves jumping, and i take him around the hills here and over logs, and he just flies over them!! :rolleyes:

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
WOW AMAZING! you two make a great team and he is a wonderful horse!! :)

Thank you!!! The instructor said we were a perfect match!
Its funny cause when i ride Kitai, he looks just normal size, cause i am so tall, but hes so big, the instructor couldnt even get on him!!! :09:

Do you jump, i think i remember seeing a post about you having a horse? :)

MarciaLove

Jan 4, 2012
USA Georgia
Parrots
Sugar the Blue Crown Conure♂, Merlin the Camelot Macaw♂
I dont jump Ive always wanted to try jumping but Ive only ridden western I do mainly barrels and some pole bending but not on my horse yet I have to train my horse first she hasnt been ridden much I just love saying my horse :p just got her!

OP
tab_xo

tab_xo

Aug 9, 2012
Queensland, Australia
Parrots
Hahahaha Awwwww! Your horse hehe
Thats awesome! You will be flying over jumps before you know it! :D

Most Reactions