First Molt Questions

Lunatic

Dec 23, 2011
Hi everyone. My husband and I have had our cockatiel Roxie for about four months now. She was about six months old when we got her, and is now (we suspect) going into her first molt. I keep finding little down feathers everywhere; when she fluffs, they puff around her, and anyone who holds her gets covered in little white flakes. She has also been a little cranky, when she's not demanding head scratches. I should also point out I live in sunny coastal Georgia, and it's 75 today. :)

So, all signs point to first molt. But being a new bird mom (this is our first bird, though certainly not our last), I want to make sure there's not something else I'm overlooking. I don't think she has any deficiencies-- she eats Roudybush pellets, and has a calcium chew and mineral chew. Plus we have one of the big treat stick holders that she loves to play with and box around.

This is just molting, right? She's NOT pulling the feathers out. She's a happy bird, with a lot of toys and plenty of affection and more than three hours out of her cage every day. She talks and sings CONSTANTLY, which I'm told is unusual for a female 'tiel. She can say "Hey Roxie, pretty bird," and "I love you, Roxie," as well as making laser sounds and mimicking the dog's bark, the oven timer and pretty much any whistle she's ever heard. :)

Last question-- is it ok to leave the treat stick in the cage all the time? She seems to play with her toys more when it's not there. And she certainly eats her pellets more. Should we have a treat schedule just like we have a "rotate toys, clean perches" schedule?

Thanks! (I hope the picture shows up. I've never tried to post one in a forum before.)

308764_2524144144135_1269302408_3043073_1405355139_n.jpg

OP
L

Lunatic

Dec 23, 2011
I should point out that the picture is a couple of months old. When we first got her, she banged up her tail feathers pretty badly learning her way around the cage. She is now a cage navigation pro and her tail feathers are straight. Further, she only had one wing clipped when we got her. She has both clipped now, because she kept flying into walls, though we hope to have our outdoor flight cage ready by the time her feathers grow back.

When we got Roxie, we got her from a pet store and she was not tame AT ALL. It took a LOT of patience (and millet) to get her to sit on our hand, much less talk and sing. Now she rides around on my husband's shoulder and pretty much participates in every household activity.

Right now I'm watching her preen and as she pulls the long feathers through her beak nothing happens, but when she "fluffs" to reset herself, little down feathers fall. :(

Pearl

Dec 2, 2011
Denver, CO
Parrots
Butter - Lovebird * Basil - Cockatiel * Bean - Budgie * Barley - Budgie
That's a standard cockatiel molt :) You sound like an exemplary bird parent, I'm sure she is jsut fine. Basil's usually lasts 4-6 weeks from the first downy feathers all the way to the wings and tail, but that can vary depending on the bird. They're messy little critters when they molt! Lots of baths help tremendously with the dust and itching. Good luck!

Most Reactions