First Nail Trim for Tate today....

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
I've noticed in the last few days that Tate's nails are getting pretty long. They kinda hurt when he's climbing on me. Then today I noticed he was holding some food akwardly, so it's definately time for a trim and I took the day off from work, so I should take advantage of my free time! Hope it goes well and he doesn't get mad at me!!! Eeeek. I'm a little nervous. I'll post later to let you know how it went....

roxynoodle

Dec 1, 2011
Good luck. It can help to have 2 people; one to hold the bird and one to trim. Now while he is still young is a good time to get him used to having his nails filed and trimmed so that you can do it yourself. I was able to train my other conure to accept this right away, but Rowdy was older when I got her. I've only had to do hers once since she keeps them trimmed with her cement perch, but she freaks out whenever I do mine or the cats!

OP
MissyMe83

MissyMe83

Nov 29, 2011
Indiana
Parrots
Tate ~~
White Capped Pionus -
Violet ~~ Yellow Naped Amazon - Jupiter ~~ Baby B&G Macaw (coming soon)
Thanks Roxy. I've been working on getting him more comfortable with me doing things not so natural with him such as holding him upside down in the palm of my hand and spreading out each wing and touching him under his wings. He doesn't fight me with it, but it does make him uncomfortable and he won't tollerate being upside down in my palm for very long. I think it's probably best to have an experienced avian vet do his first trim. Hopefully he can handle him without too much stress and he won't take it out on me too much or associate our little excursion today with bad feelings. I figured we would go visit my mom and niece for a bit then head over to the vet. They accept walk-ins for little things like a trim.
Eventually I'd like to be able to do them myself but we'll see how it goes. I'd like him to be comfortable with me handling him awkwardly a bit more before I try to add something like a file to the mix : )

Also, ordered one of those perches that should be coming today...maybe that'll do the trick for the in-between time.

Most Reactions