First time nail trimming

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Rockhampton, Qld, Australia
Parrots
Bundiibird - Alex - hatched 31/08/09
& Millie - BFA - hatched 29/10/14 & Willow - CAG - hatched 30/10/19
So this morning hubby and I decided it was time to trim Bundii's nails. This is the first time that I have had to trim nails. Bundii usually keeps them trim but of late they were starting to get caught in things. :(

Well Bundii is already very cautious of my hands, so I got the trimming job while hubby got the comforting/holding job.

Once I got into a rhythm, it was easy to do. However the first one had me in tears, hubby laughing at me and Bundii thinking we're both nuts. :rolleyes:

I got the nail clipper in the right position, clipped and then Bundii decided she was going to squawk. I seriously thought I had chopped her toe off. Clearly, I had just moved the toe into the wrong position, but being the first time, I was nervous of trimming too far. It was like instant tears for me. Hubby thinks I am nuts. :eek: Although he may not be too far off.

Anyways, I can now safely say that Bundii's nails are trimmed and there was no long lasting side effects on her. Me on the other hand, I might need stiff drink to recover. :D

Ein

Apr 21, 2014
Arizona
Parrots
1 African Grey
1 Quaker
1 timneh african grey
Sounds pretty eventful for everyone involved.

Have you ever considered a sand perch in her cage? I have one for my Alexandrine and it's made the worlds of difference and the plus side is NO STRESS for you and the bird. It sands down their nails naturally as they walk/perch upon the perch. It also makes their feet soft too :)

Might be something to consider next time. I purchased one for Merlin's cage cost me around $20 which is well worth it. I put it where I know he'll go to perch (his food dish, he's a porker) and it naturally took care of it.

Just to be clear, when I am talking about sand perches I'm talking about the concrete ones ad not the sand paper covers, I have heard a lot of bad things about the covers. However speaking from experience I would say a concrete style sand perch.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Amanda, I'm glad Bundii has a nice manicure now, and is no worse for wear :)
So what'd you have? Tequila, Scotch, Rum, Vodka?? :D

Raven has a sand perch that he uses a lot, and his nails don't even touch it. It's the right diameter, I don't know.. I think maybe it's too coarse to work well.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
@Ein - we have a pedicure perch already in her cage. It worked at first but now it has just filed the nails into needle points. Hubby thinks it might be a little on the small side. She has extremely long feet/toes. I am going to order her the one in the next size and see if that works. In the end I think it was only stressful for me. Bundii did not even bat an eyelid after the initial sqawck. Even that one, I think, was just to make me feel bad. :rolleyes:

@Julie - I actually don't think I could stomach a drink tonight. I may or may not have had one too many on Friday night. It ended with me and my boss dancing in the middle of one of the classiest restaurants in town. Whoops, lucky there was only 2 groups left in there by that time of night. :eek:

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Oh wow Amanda! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din! I had a little go at trimming Dommie's nails and he nearly split my eardrums with his bellow. When the vet did it, even he managed to cause one nail to bleed. No way I'm doin' that particular jobbie, especially on the Beaks. They'd have my fingers for lunch, I do reckon!

Well done you, on getting the nails trimmed. Next time, you have to publish an instructional video so the rest of us can learn from it.

PS. I bought sand and pumice perches for all my birds at huge expense. They all have needle-like nails now, despite having been provided with the correct diameter of perches for their foot sizes. I give up! :22_yikes:

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Glad all went well with Bundii's pedicure:) Sounds like you did a great job, and being nervous is just a sign you care about your little buddy.

Edit: I haven't noticed Kiwi's grit perch doing much for his talons:(, but he does rub his beak on it a lot (which keeps his beak nice:)). He typically only gets 1 or 2 "pedicures" a year. I try to hold out until my poor arms and hand simply cannot take the pain any longer before my 'regal eagle' with his big, sharp talons becomes a humbled parrot who can sit on me without laving trails of puncture wounds:52:

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
@Ein - we have a pedicure perch already in her cage. It worked at first but now it has just filed the nails into needle points. Hubby thinks it might be a little on the small side. She has extremely long feet/toes. I am going to order her the one in the next size and see if that works. In the end I think it was only stressful for me. Bundii did not even bat an eyelid after the initial sqawck. Even that one, I think, was just to make me feel bad. :rolleyes:

@Julie - I actually don't think I could stomach a drink tonight. I may or may not have had one too many on Friday night. It ended with me and my boss dancing in the middle of one of the classiest restaurants in town. Whoops, lucky there was only 2 groups left in there by that time of night. :eek:

I feel for you, Amanda! Makes me a nervous wreck to do the nails around here, I am always much more nervous than they are..lol. I am so glad it went well:)

However, I am a bit sad that there is no video of you and your boss dancing around the restaurant:(

:):):)

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
Oh wow Amanda! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Ha Ha, you're a better man than I am too, Amanda. I worked for a vet and groomed dogs for three years, and I still hate trimming nails, I don't even trim my dog's nails, I let the vet or the groomer do that. Good for you and Bundi.

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
However, I am a bit sad that there is no video of you and your boss dancing around the restaurant:(

LOLOL!!! Yes :D Why not post something like that on the Worldwide Web haha. Glad you had fun Friday Amanda! ;)

Sterling1113

Feb 15, 2014
Dallas area, Texas
MAN do I feel your pain!!
I remember when we took Pascal to the vet to have his leg band removed.. The cry he let out was like nothing I've ever heard before! (Which I guess at the same time was nice, knowing he'd never been too uncomfortable before then, and now knowing what kind of cry to listen for if he ever gets himself hurt.)

But man.. my ever-so-understanding boyfriend had to pat me on the back and comfort ME when it was done! Everything was fine and Pascal was unscathed but man the cry he made brought me to tears.

The conures are easier about their nails being done.. We just wrap them in a towel and if I'm the one trimming it takes me about 30 seconds per foot. Usually if I can be quick about it all is said and done before they know what's going on. And I only take off the very tips.. Loki is the only one with nails that you can see the quick, so I only trim what is absolutely necessary. :eek:

And when all is said and done Pascal gets an almond to crack open and the littles get a peanut to destroy.. and all is right in the world again. :)

EnglishMuffin

Mar 1, 2014
Vancouver, Canada
Parrots
Sootie- Yellow-sided GCC
With a lot of patience and treats, I taught Sootie to hand me her foot and let me hold it to clip her nails. She's a doll. I say 'let me see your foot' and tap which one I want, and she hands it to me. I clip a nail, put it down and then tell her what a good girl she is.

She normally gets sick of it after the first foot is done and I have to leave it an hour or so before starting the next one but it's so easy and stress free for her (both of us actually)!

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots

Terry I am so glad that there is no video evidence. It is not something that I am in the habit of doing. Luckily we are so busy at work that this is a rare occurrence. The night out that is. :D

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
Oh wow Amanda! You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!

Ha Ha, you're a better man than I am too, Amanda. I worked for a vet and groomed dogs for three years, and I still hate trimming nails, I don't even trim my dog's nails, I let the vet or the groomer do that. Good for you and Bundi.

You know, I was so nervous. I once had the vet clip our dog's nails and he made one bleed. It took me all night to get it to stop bleeding. I tried everything. :( Eventually I had to just sit there with her and keep my finger over the nail to get the blood to clot. I cannot imagine having to do that with Bundii.

It was only a small clip but I could not just keep letting her get them caught in the towels on the lounge chair. It probably needs doing again soon, but for now it has worked.

OP
Bundiibird

Bundiibird

Mar 9, 2013
Parrots
With a lot of patience and treats, I taught Sootie to hand me her foot and let me hold it to clip her nails. She's a doll. I say 'let me see your foot' and tap which one I want, and she hands it to me. I clip a nail, put it down and then tell her what a good girl she is.

She normally gets sick of it after the first foot is done and I have to leave it an hour or so before starting the next one but it's so easy and stress free for her (both of us actually)!

That's where I would like to be with Bundii, but we still have touching issues. But we are getting there. :) This the first time in Bundii's life that I have had to clip them and she going to be five in a months time.

Most Reactions

Latest posts