First time parront

Boudreau

May 29, 2017
SW Louisiana
Parrots
Isaac---Sun Conure
Soooooo my wife and I walked in to Petsmart the other day to get some cat food on our way to do some things. As usual I stopped by the birds to see what they had. Occasionally they have Conures and I always check them out and watch them clown around some.
Now quite a few friends of mine are bird owners (from Conures to Hyacinths) but Angel (my wife) was not about to take one in ever. She would always ask about them but not knowing anything about them terrified her. Now my experience with them is limited but I learned to respect every one, large and small and if they take to you it's over----friend for life.
Something caught me off guard when she went to get someone and let me in to take him out to see me. He was a total ham, hand and shoulder tame too! Apparently she had plans and was waiting for a nice Conure to show up to get me after all these years for father's day this year. So we brought little Isaac home. An extremely handsome 4 month old Sun Conure. A bit overpriced, but in all honesty I'm very happy to know he will be taken care of properly.

Isaac%20Cage_zpsqjlm4rxk.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Please excuse the messy desk in the background. Most of his toys hang in the background by his window. I had to put him up while typing this since he likes to 'help'. My mechanical keyboard clicks and its an attention magnet for him...lol.

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
A warm welcome to you, Angel, and Isaac! What a wonderful story of surprise and joy!!

Sun Conures are strikingly beautiful and we have several members with this species. Feel free to peruse the various forums and ask any questions!

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Three things on the cage. With that style feeding station, your little guy may learn to slide them open. You may want to swap out one of the dowels with something more comfortable for his feet. No need to go buy something, in your area, you have bottle brush and sycamore. Both are safe for use, as long as you are 110% certain they have never been sprayed!
Third is the snuggle hut. Many fids are fine with them, but many also like to chew them! Watch your guy for any signs of chewing, if so, you have to remove it!

Kentuckienne

Supporting Vendor
Oct 9, 2016
Middle of nowhere (kentuckianna)
Parrots
Roommates include Gus, Blue and gold macaw rescue and Coco, secondhand amazon
Welcome! I second the motion to get rid of the snuggle hut. MANY birds have died after ingesting fibers from chewing them or have got caught in loose threads. Some have lost toes and feet after having circulation cut off overnight. These things should be banned.

OP
Boudreau

Boudreau

May 29, 2017
SW Louisiana
Parrots
Isaac---Sun Conure
I appreciate your caring observations. I keep a close eye on him and have been looking into some of the options I've seen here to replace. His water and feeding stations are temporary, came with the cage, and are in windows that he won't be able to open for a while. The windows latch at the top with a pressure tab. Hard to explain. They are TOUGH to open for me, although I've seen the power of curiosity in birds and it will surprise people that don't know for sure.
We are spending time bonding and settling in from the move. His first vet visit is next week with a really good one in my area. Luckily a few friends use him so I knew where to go already.

Last edited:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Good for you, for reaching out.
Glad you found us!
Best of luck to you and yours...

OwnedByGeorge

Jun 7, 2017
It's great that you are taking him to the vet. A lot of people don't take their birds to the vet and that's just not right. Dowels really make bad perches for birds and a lot of vets recommend natural perches only (actual branches with bark on them that bolt onto the side of the cage)

All of my parrot's perches are natural, except for his food and water perches which he spends the least time on. He's hanging out with me out of his cage about 11 hours a day though. He just goes in there to sleep.

Please ditch the snuggle hut. No ropes, no fuzzy things. Some birds accidentally swallow when they chew these things which can cause a painful death, or they get their foot stuck. Just not good. There is no benefit to the bird by having these things in the cage.

OP
Boudreau

Boudreau

May 29, 2017
SW Louisiana
Parrots
Isaac---Sun Conure
Thank you, I've been making all the changes as I can find the replacements. The day I picked him up we had his first visit scheduled.
I thought I knew a little about parrots before, but I'm finding out exactly little I really do know. Thanks

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Most Reactions