First vet visit

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots
Parakeet named Blue. Adopted from a Humane Society 5 years ago.

Kirby Cockatiel adopted from a humane society 2018.

Also a slew of other small birds that span my entire childhood.
This Saturday we meet with the behaviorist for Georgia. Fingers crossed we have a productive visit. I had to complete a 10 page questionnaire yesterday for her. Once completed it ended up being a 22 page profile.

I was amazed at how detailed this lady was. There are questions like what lighting is the bird exposed to, what do they do when you stare into their eyes, down to do they defecate when you look at them. We also have to submit photos of toys, cages, and a lay out of doors, windows, and rooms of our house the bird has access to.

Georgia still hates me. Its now to the point were anytime I walk past her cage she pecks fast in an attempt to get me. I'm hopeful I can break her of her hatred towards me this year!

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

First appointment down and we received a lot of insight. She did get her wings clipped. Our trainer basically said it should be a must for safety reasons. We agreed and she was clipped. They started with the first 3 feathers and let her go...she flew as expected normal. They ended up taking 5 feathers total on each side.

Plan of attack...any time I enter her room I treat her. I’m now going to be feeding her all meals that are high reward. (Fresh foods) her favorite now feeds her only pellets.if she lashes out at me her human has to leave the room and I have to handle the situation. We were told she’s a very sexual bird. Our goal is to break the intense unhealthy bond she has with her man and create trust with myself. Fingers crossed we succeed. Our goal is this time next year I can safely handle her.

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Sounds like some concrete steps that you can take with Georgia! It will be interesting to hear how the progress goes.

OP
Birdmom12

Birdmom12

Jan 21, 2019
Parrots

After talking with her I feel much more hopeful! She was clear it would take a lot of time,consistency, and work but it’s possible. She also had tons of knowledge on wild birds and their psychology. She gave us so much insight on why they behave the way they do, how we humans often don’t meet their needs, and how we can give as “natural” as a life as possible. I’m hopeful Georgia and I can developer a bond. She did make it clear we will likely always have this issue during hormonal season. Progress will likely be slow and next year this time we may even see steps backwards. After the visit though I have a renewed confidence in repairing / developing our bond.

I was surprised to learn that amazons mate for life! She said amazons find a mate and pair up until death. When one dies they move on but other then that they stay together. This explains her fierce attachment.

Most Reactions

Latest posts