First Yellow Feather!

Bongo

Dec 27, 2010
Bongo, our sun conure, just had his first yellow feather grow in on his back! Our little guy is turning into a man:D He is doing a lot of preening and pulling pin feathers, but he seems pretty uncomfortable. He is a little bit cranky and nippy too. Other than taking baths, giving scratches and having patience, is there anything we can do to help him along and keep him happy?

He bit me the hardest he ever has last night. I know it's not his fault, but how can we make this easier on all of us??

Thanks!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Its a stressful time....he'll get over it soon....you still need to tell him no when he bites! You have to nip it in the bottom before it starts!!!

Pionus

Feb 3, 2011
Media
snow covered Canada
Parrots
White-capped Pionus-9yrs & a Peachfaced Lovebird-2yrs (for now...)
Another thing you can do is help preen them. (if they let you) My pionus gets very itchy and cranky when he molts. His first molt was tough cause he was very nippy. I taught him that i could help him. Since most parrots cannot reach their head to preen the feathers, other birds would normally do this such as their mate. Since most pet birds just have us, you can help the little guy out! :) What you do is gently (real gently-> no pulling) rub the pin feathers - that have the feather tips poking out of them - and roll it between your thumb and forefinger. This helps break down the shaft protecting the feather that is no longer needed. If it breaks off, good. If not, thats ok, (it might not be ready) just leave it for another day. I use my thumb nail sometimes. Keep in mind that this is on the pin feathers which the feathers are basically fully grown. Hope this helps :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts