Fledgling over here! :D

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Sun Conures - Jin (male) & Sun (female).
Senegals - Sparky (female), Spike (male).
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Ruby (female)
Eclectus (vosmaeri) - Jagermeister (male)
Peach Faced Lovebirds - Eros & Cupi
Hello everyone,

I'm Steven, the new fledgling to this great bird brain site...and glad to see that all the bird brains are flocking :p.

I'm 24, born and bred Cape Townian, the proud owner of 2 amazingly noisy loving and extremely demanding Sun Conures (Jin & Sun) and have recently gotten married (even more demaning :p) to a bird brain like myself, currently settling in Pretoria.

One of my lifetime goals is helping (one way or another) in eradicating the "endangered species" label from our dear feathered friends....big dream I know, but big dreams is what I do :).

I'm currently studying networking, and was recently a biology university student.

My wife has a male Senegal by the name of Sparky...and incredibly unique bird, but I'm sure she will introduce him and herself soon :).
*On that note...its amazing to see how birds from completely different environments get on...well...when they do. The mixing of our "children" is funny to see and sometimes stressful on our part...a bit of nipping, beak fighting, stealing of each others food. The 2 hand-reared ones (Sparky and Sun[female]) seem to get on ok...but Jin and Sparky will take a bit more time to gel....but when they all outside, they fine :)

Birds.jpg

Great to be here and will get to know more of you and your birds it time :)

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Steven and Marilize, great to have more South African's joining us.
Two bird brains are better than one LoL
We love sharing pictures of our fid's, so don't be shy

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Tnx :D :D :D

owned is a slight understatement!! lol

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
Sparky (M) on the left, Sun (F) to the right and Jin (M) at the back :)

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
awww its a fab pic as you can see i have a rather moth eaten sene :) called nut who has stopped chewing her feathers to bits but is not looking as impressive as the sene's i see out there lol

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
nut is cute :D.

chewing...hmm...my male SC currently has a bold belly, and all started when they were playing in a box :S. But I see there is a shoot here and there at least. Although...after a groom, a couple shoots go missing. lol. but gradually getting better :)

Last edited:

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
i'm confidant nut's bald patches will grow back (fingers crossed) i've stopped stressing over her stress and she is settling in so well now, to where she is managable with the whole family!! ok she still bites my son an accidently bit my partner her fav person, but they will rush her with things lol

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
hmmm...the birdy that can get phobias! lol. have you discovered that marvelous place they LOVE? The fine little hairs by their nostrils...they so calm when gently rubbing that area. lol. oh yes...lets not forget beak fighting! another favourite :D lol

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
ahhhhha! Too cute.

I have adores sunnies for years. I finally was able to home my girl last year. I love her to bits. They are so special, aren't they?

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
I couldn't agree with you more! Once you look past their screams, you see an amazing personality! :D

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
hmmm...the birdy that can get phobias! lol. have you discovered that marvelous place they LOVE? The fine little hairs by their nostrils...they so calm when gently rubbing that area. lol. oh yes...lets not forget beak fighting! another favourite :D lol

oh not tried that area an what is beak wrestling?? i will rub her head/neck/cheeks etc and every now an again she opens her beak to me not being threatening an i just dab it with my fore finger lol

OP
Steven

Steven

Jul 13, 2010
Pretoria, South Africa
Parrots
here's an example of Sparky beak fighting...but most of the time he REALLY gets into it :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XTtRpEpfqFI]YouTube - ‪Sparky Beak Fighting :D‬‏[/ame]

antoinette

Supporting Member
Jul 6, 2009
Media
Sunny South Africa !!!
Parrots
African "Grey"
"Mishka"
Male
7 Years old
Sparky looks like a mean little fighter (I mean that in a good way)
Loved the beak fighting LoL at least we have a name for it now.
Every night, as I place Mishka on my lap, he has a go at me with his beak, he's way of playing.
I must try get this on video, they look so cute when attacking and actually doing nothing

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
thank you :) so all this time she's been trying to play with me an i've been coming up short!!! poor nut lol

when i see the signs i will play with her and see if i still have my finger ends left tomorrow lol

not sure about showing my son as although he loves to interact with nut, he reads her signs wrong an she is inclined to bite him, bless but he still goes back for more????

JawzX

Aug 22, 2010
Media
Vermont
Parrots
8 year-old second-hand Alexandrine Parakeet Buddy (aka Baby, aka Ms. Prissy Beak)
hah! I guess I must video Ms. Beak in her Fightin' mode ;) she bobs and weaves and blocks and goes around for the sneak attack on the side... Up high, down low, forward and back! If she weren't almost constantly purring and never actually biting I would think she was taking it seriously :D

Von1983

Banned
Banned
Sep 3, 2010
Media
LOL! I love the name "beak fighting"!

Cal does this when she wants her beak stroked.

Sparky reminds me of my border collie as a pup doing this for some reason!!! Haha! Just goes to show, no matter the species, everything returns to baby times when invited to play! :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts