Flight Suites ?

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
and Ollie an 18yr old rescue Gray
has any one tried them, or have an opinion on them?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I recommend harnesses for adults. Those are usually easier to train a bird to wear than a suite, unless they were raised and trained to wear a suite prior to weaning.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Lol at first I thought you meant a suite at a hotel where you can allow your parrot to fly freely, now I see its about the flight suit. Lol!

OP
doakota1

doakota1

Aug 21, 2013
upstate NY
Parrots
Lucy-Blue and Gold Macaw
and Ollie an 18yr old rescue Gray
I tried putting 1 on Lucy today, no way that's gonna happen

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
My bird doesn't like the flight suit either. The harness is way easier for me because he doesn't mind it at all. If i make him wear the hoodie for long or the flight suit, he will start to pick at it.

ShellyBorg

Apr 8, 2013
Redding, CA
Parrots
TAG Spirit,RLA Danny,Senegal Damon, Parrotlet Opal, B&G Paris
The suit also keeps their waste near there vent. That means a butt wash everytime you take it off. I would not use one.

DallyTsuka

Mar 19, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Parrots
Dallas and Tsukasa (Cockatiels)
Mango and Munchlax (Peach Faced Lovebirds)
i use them for my cockatiels. i wouldnt trust one to a larger bird though. the aviator would be much much better for a larger stronger bird.

and as for the butt wash, i dont generally have that problem lol either i'm lucky or it doesnt happen that way.

kiwiS

Jun 27, 2013
Parrots
Kiwi Stardust - a green cheek conure
I love my flight suit. No problems with a dirty vent because I don't keep it on Kiwi for hours and hours. It's only on her when we go out for walks in the park, or for car rides. If her vent does get dirty I just let her splash around in some water after and she's good to go.

As for Kiwi, she doesn't like it and will get really mad at it once it's on, but she gets over it after a while, especially with going outside and lots of yummy treats being a reward.

Putting it on gets easier with practice..i will hold her whole body in my left hand (be very careful NOT to squeeze..imagine your hand a claw cage..firm but not tight!), wrap the flight suit around her with my right, and velcro it on. When it's secured I gently pull her wings out each hole, and then wiggle the butt part and her feet pop out on their own. She puts up a fight sometimes, but if I stay calm and do it quickly, she has no time to throw a tantrum, or even think of one. Just don't make it a big deal, and make sure you reward a lot after, lots of excited talking and fun activities.

Good luck!!

oops..just realized this is for a macaw..sorry! you can't hold a macaw with one hand!

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts