Fly free Jackie.

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
It kills me to even type this...

Earlier today Jackie passed away. I'm devastated, to say the least. He died in my arms and it was fast, and hopefully painless. My heart hurts so much and I'm a wreck.. I keep wishing this is a nightmare.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
oh I am so.sorry, Thankyou for making his last while here a so much better place. You had grown so close, I know how.much you loved him.
I'm sitting here crying, I can't even imagine your pain.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
I'm really sorry to hear about Jackie!!!! I thought he was doing so well with you!

Do you know what happened? Will you be getting a necropsy done?

Boysmom

Nov 17, 2011
Atlanta, Georgia
Parrots
Ruby- Solomans Island Grand Eclectus ***
Flora- Panama Amazon
I am so very sorry for your loss ! I have been through the loss of a pet lately and it is so very hard. I had to put down my 17 1/2 year old cat due to feline cancer in the lungs and kidney failure. Tigger grew up with all 4 of my boys and he is very much missed. I will definately keep you in my prayers ! Hugs to you !

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Here's what happened: (WARNING-GRAPHIC)

He was on the counter next to the living room, and he got on top of a stack of movies- the movies fell and he flew towards his jungle gym and landed in the bottom pan. I picked him up and put him on one of the perches, within seconds he was panting and swaying like he was gonna fall off so I picked him up slowly and held him... His head cranked backwards and he made this strange croaking/clucking, then he flapped onto his tabletop stand, then fell on the desk and was laying there...I picked him up again... He passed away right after I picked him up. All of this happened in a matter of minutes and there was nothing I could've done to prevent whatever it was.

We will not have a necropsy done.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I was almost finished remodeling his jungle-gym..
This is him sitting on it yesterday...

25325BE1-2830-4BDE-AF96-388E6FF797CF-6981-0000042A5101C0D3_zpsa46a6f8e.jpg

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
So sorry! At least you were there to improve his life and he in turn brought joy to you! May he rest in peace. :angel:

:60:

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Oh, I am so sorry......it's so sad.....
At least it was fast.....sounds like he didn't suffer much.....poor thing.
They do make these sporadic, crazy moves when get spooked unfortunately.
Good memories are to stay with you.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
My condolences, as well. I have lost several much loved birds, and it never is easy. You made the end of his problematic life somewhat happy. Be glad you helped him. I lost a Lovebird that I rescued from a horrible situation a while back. I had her for 1 1/2 years of her more than 11 year life. She, too, died in my hands unexpectedly. I can never forget her, and am very happy that her end of life was stress free and happy. You should feel the same. Nobody but another bird person can understand how these creatures work their way into our hearts.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I feel like my world has turned upside down... I can't stop crying, this is incredibly hard for me. I just don't even know what to do next.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Don't do anything yet. You need time to regroup, get your thoughts together, and grieve. If the parrot things are not going to bother you for a while, wait and see what comes your way. If you really want to get another bird, do so. But, give yourself time to sort this out in your head & heart.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Hubby is also shocked and saddened by this, he said we could go out and get another right now if I wanted to... But I don't. I still want him to come back... But it hurts to even look at his things, and they're EVERYWHERE- I had to cover his jungle gym because I couldn't handle looking at it.

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Grieve, cry and let it out. Remember all the good with Jackie, Remember that you saved him and gave him love again. There is no gift more precious than that.
Your heart will.show you the way in time.

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
Oh I am SO sorry!!! I saw your username under Bereavement and I actually said out loud: "NO". So sorry for your pain. Give yourself some time to grieve and then if and when you are ready for another bird, you will find the one you are meant to have.

faeryphoebe1

Feb 1, 2013
Media
San Antonio, Texas
Parrots
Trixie, Sunny & Gonzo♡♡♡
I'm so sorry this happened to you. Jackie was beautiful and looked so happy with you. Allow yourself to cry and grieve. I'm so very sorry that you're going through this pain.

Featheredsamurai

Aug 24, 2011
California
Parrots
African Greg
2 cockatiels
This is terrible, I'm crying for you. The time Jackie had with you was amazing, never forget her and cherish all your memories.
You may want to do this so I will share. I decided early on if Rosie or Kenji passes away while I'm still alive that I will have the cremated and put some of the ashes into a necklace I will wear around my neck. That way they can always be near my heart.

When my friends bird passed we listened to this song, honestly it only makes the feelings worse because the lyrics are too perfect. But it helped us to remember that they are truly free after they pass :(

[ame="http://youtu.be/vaRLf8fKRQU"]Blackbird - Evan Rachel Wood {Lyrics} - YouTube[/ame]

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
At least you have some great photos to remember him by! I especially love the last one!

Please, allow your heart to grieve. I'm sure you'll know when you are ready to welcome another fid into your home! I think he was lucky to find you!

kq_fan

Jun 26, 2013
Media
Seattle, Washington
Parrots
Lilo - Female Green Cheek Conure ~ Pal - male cockatiel ~ Pheobe - female cockatiel
Oh my, im so sorry, I hate that when that happens but he is so happy now with no pain flying free. I know how you feel. When my parrot Mango passed away, it was so hard to get up in the morning and look at his cage and not see him their to give a kiss good morning. Peace be with you.

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts