Fly free Jackie.

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
I offer you my sincere condolences for Jackie. Your posts about him showed how much you loved him. He will always be with you. It will take a while but the pictures and video you have of Jackie you will learn to treasure and will bring you bittersweet moments. I am going though that with my three boys. All the time. Even though time has passed they are still with me in my pictures of them, my memories, the stories I wrote and though the memories of others that knew my boys. I totally feel your pain and anguish and know what you are going though because I have been where you are. If I could I would hold you and cry together.

I was fortunate to be with Joaquin my Eclectus when he passed. He waited for me to rush to the ER so that we could be together. This was his last gift for me and I will never forget it. I was able to sing to him his favorite song.

With Diego I had to rush him to the clinic after he suffered a stroke. I had to breath for him and his last moments were spent in triage with Dr. Blair using heroic measures to save him. While my sister was racing to the clinic during rush hour I begged for him not to die and in desperation when Diego struggled to breath I breathed for him.

Mihijo passed from a heart attack over night. The evening before he was his normal self and he enjoyed an evening of our company relaxing with us. It was Lupe who found him in his cage and to this day the experience traumatizes her. Every morning she has to lift the cage covers of Valentino and Julio to "check" them. She has to know if they are still alive.

If I may I would like to share a poem I wrote about my Eclectus Joaquin.

Why did you leave?

I know we had a rough beginning
I know we bonded strongly
I know you had an old wise soul

Why did you leave?

Your feathers bright and intensely colored
Your beak yellow and orange like candy corn
Your heart pure and true, open to everyone

Why did you leave?

Did you know you were supposed to live for 75 years or more?
Did you know how much impact you had on people’s lives?
Did you know you were a part of me?

Why did you leave?

God only loaned you to me
if only for a short while.
Your life was cut so short
it almost seems so cruel.
I am forever grateful for God’s trust in me
with your life and love.
I can never forget you. I keep your remains
and memories forever close.
God needed you more than I did

This is why you left

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Oh my....I just read this and it brought tears to my eyes....I'm so sorry to hear about your baby's passing....Oh I can't see the screen......My deepest condolences to you!!!!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
I know you are grieving and I am sorry for your loss, but finding out what happened can give you some closure, especially down the road so unless its physically impossible at this point I would recommend the necropsy.

Judging from the symptoms my first thought is a seizure.

Spacechild

Jun 9, 2013
Southern CA
Parrots
Paco -White Fronted Amazon 2003;

Tiki -Parrotlet 2002-03;

Tikitoo -Parrotlet 2003-2012
Rest in peace Jackie. Always remember that you did your best and brought love and happiness to his life. It was a pleasure watching you two grow. I know how difficult it is right now, it will get easier in time and he will forever stay in your heart. My deepest condolences.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm sorry it took me so long to reply, ..... I don't even know what to say....I'm sitting here crying again. :(

My heart and soul goes out to you! I know how much Jackie meant to you.

Many, many hugs!!! We are all here for you!

Rest easy Jackie! You will NEVER be forgotten and loved always!

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Thank you everyone for your condolences... It took every ounce of strength to even post it yesterday, but I know you guys would understand what I'm going through, and how I'm feeling right now. I can hardly handle this huge hole in my heart...it feels like someone's ripped a huge rift in my life. Some people (non-parrot people) would say he was just a bird and a pet so move on... But he wasn't just that. I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason- he was put in my life for a reason. He wiggled his feathery little butt into my heart and he became a huge part of our family and our lives. Last night was so hard for me- I put him to bed and closed his curtains as usual, said my goodnights and I love you's... But only silence. No squeaky scratchy voice telling me night night and woo hoo. No good mornings or hello Charlie's... Daily life will never be the same without him.

I had planned on spending many, many years with Jackie.. and he probably thought I was insane for all the things I built him, and all the things we did together. I know for a fact he was happy, he loved me... And I loved him. Even though he hated my husband, my husband loved him too. He saw every day how much Jackie loved me. I just wish I had a little more time with him...

Everyone in this forum has taught me SO much and has been through my journey with Jackie since day one. Thank you- all of you for helping me, and thank you for being here when I need you the most.

I feel like Jackie was just the beginning of my parront-hood... God said "let's give her a tough, mean lil green chicken and see how she does"... Jokes on you God- because even though he was a mean, angry bird when he came home, I broke down those walls and deep-down he was a softy. He taught me so much- extreme patience, persistence, unconditional love, pain tolerance, faith, and to always share your food with a zon.

Cheers to you Jackie boy, I love you and will NEVER forget how you made me a better parront.

CABCC69D-0D93-442B-A68D-3CF8BD220DD5-8071-000005A30108C338_zpsc33e6ee3.jpg

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
Today is going to be pretty rough- I can already tell... I feel like cleaning all of his stuff and putting it in storage... It hurts to look at his stuff. Just knowing that he should be there and he's not... Part of me wants to run and hide, and the other part wants to run out and get another bird- but it won't be him and that's the part that kills me.

Poor Quigley the budgie, I'm not sure if she understands what's going on. She loved him too and had great fun egging him on and having screeching contests- Jackie always won. Go figure.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I have no doubt that Quigley knows.

I can relate to all your emotions, I truly can. You know, after reading about Jackie, I hugged all my birds, but especially my Sammi. Why Sam, you may wonder. After suddenly and unexpectedly losing my beloved Quincy (DYH)
in 2009, I was a royal mess for a long, LONG time. Last year I finally decided to get another DYH. Of course Quincy can NEVER be replaced, but when I found out that Sam was Quincy's FULL brother, I shed more than just one tear.

HUGS to you....as many as you need and want, my arms are wide open!

SandyBee

Oct 5, 2012
Coquitlam BC, Canada
Parrots
DYH Amazon-Rescue- Bosley (36),
African Brown head-Rescue- August(9)
Poor Quigley, yes I am sure he will be affected too.
No bird can ever replace Jackie, but the lessons he taught you will help you deal with life, children and more feather butts.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
As much as his screams hurt my ears, I think the silence is worse. It's killing me. I keep thinking I'm going to hear him... It's almost 10:30 and I keep getting this feeling like I should go wake him up and he'll help me make my coffee. I just wish he would come back to me!!! 😭 this ***king SUCKS!!

ruffledfeathers

Aug 23, 2012
Media
NJ
Parrots
Gilbert Oliver, Blue Crown Conure; Georgie, Sun Conure (2/8/01-8/8/12) RIP little girl; Percy, budgie 1993-1999. RIP Pepito-spanish timbrado canary
I know that feeling too. Georgie, my sun, had her moments where i wanted to wear earplugs--even that morning when she died i had yelled downstairs (i was getting ready for work in my bathroom upstairs and she was calling me, over and over) for her to be quiet. That evening when it was silent in my house, it felt so very empty without her 'annoying' little screechy voice. Even the times when they drive us nuts, love is love....you just love them and want them back. Hugs to you. I truly am sorry for how you are feeling.

BillsBirds

Jan 9, 2012
Largo, Florida
Parrots
Timneh African Grey (Bailey), Lovebird (Elvis)
Of all the birds that have passed through my life & home, Bella, a Lovebird, was my favorite. What a wonderful creature! Though she died of advanced age, she left me way too soon. I bought a tiny bottle with a chain on Ebay that hangs around my neck, with a very small feather of hers in it. It certainly doesn't replace her, but, it is a memento of our time together, and can bring a smile to my face now & then. You may want to do something similar. My heart just aches for you. As I've often said, God needed one of His angels back for some reason, and He picked yours. And, yes, Quigley will mourn the loss of his friend, and pick up on your emotions, as well. Be strong, and know that there are many birds out there who need someone as knowledgeable, caring, and loving as you. When you're ready.

forbey

Apr 26, 2013
Media
I am so sorry for your loss!

Each of the little ones we take into our homes occupy a special place in our hearts. No other bird will ever take his place. I'm positive, when the time is right, you will find that there are places in your heart for others. They will never fill his spot in your heart, but they they will find and fill a place of their own.

Forbey

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
When he was laying in my arms a little red feather fell out of his wing.. I was thinking of making a necklace or something with it.

I know there's another bird out there, somewhere who needs me... and I'll be here waiting.

Last edited:

noblemacaw

Sep 23, 2011
Parrots
Valentino - Red Fronted Macaw - Hatched August 12, 2012
When the time is right something will happen to put you with another featherbutt that needs you. I think it so awesome that you can say that so soon. Be kind to yourself and take care of what you need. If you need to put Jackie's things aside for now don't feel bad about having to do so. The day Mihijo died I tore down his cage and put it in storage. I could not handle looking at his empty cage and not hearing him or seeing him in it.

It was hard the two months We were without any parrots. Valentino was due to come home in December and Mihijo died in October. Those were two very dark months for me. In time another parrot will come into your life. Never doubt that and take your time with your own grief and how you choose to handle this. The people on this form are there for you when ever you want to talk about Jackie and remember her we will always look forward to your pictures and stories of her. She truly was a very beautiful parrot.

Guggs for you because they are so much more than just hugs. Take care.

OP
getwozzy

getwozzy

Feb 26, 2013
Oregon
I just finished putting all of his things in storage because I couldn't handle looking at them.

I know someday I will have another parrot, it's the when I don't know...parrots have a special kind of love and I just can't be without it for too long.

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
I know someday I will have another parrot, it's the when I don't know...parrots have a special kind of love and I just can't be without it for too long.

What a great job Jackie did......teaching you what parrot love could be.....
We all crying and remembering Jackie with you.

Most Reactions

Latest posts