Food aggresion?

newclassic

Feb 17, 2013
California
Parrots
1 lovebird (April 1997), 1 cockatiel (adopted in '97 at ~2 yrs)
I've had my lovebird for 15 years, and he's never bitten me to the point of drawing blood or anything; I can pick him up/touch him with my hands, he'll step up on my finger, he kisses me, etc. He's tame in every aspect, except that he's pretty aggressive about food--which is weird, since we are his first and only family (aside from the breeder). He has plenty of food, and has never shared his cage with anyone.

If I let him nibble on treats through the cage bars, he'll nip my fingers out of the way (not just a curious nibble). He's fine with my presence and the fact that I'm holding food for him, so long as my fingers aren't too close. If I give him small pieces of food out of the cage, I usually lay it out on a surface or shallow dish, rather than have him eat it from my fingers. Is food aggression caused by anything in particular (e.g. fear?) or is it a result of him exerting dominance, e.g. a territorial behavior? The only time he ever nips me hard is anything to do with food. I should also mention, my dad's been in charge of feeding the birds for years (he gets up earlier, I usually don't have time in the mornings).

Riio

Apr 19, 2011
San Diego California
Parrots
'Rio'~RIP baby girl 'Sunshine'~Yellow Side Green Cheek Conure
I'm sorry I have no advice. I was just searching food aggression because my lil green check is sooo mean when it comes to food. We adopted him and he was on a seed diet with previous owner and I think left in a room alone alot. Anyway it doesn't matter if its food going into his dish or a snack in my hand. If I come near his food when he's eating he puffs up screeches and comes running on the attack. It is weird!!!

goalerjones

Oct 24, 2011
Parrots
Hahn's macaw, RIP George, Jenday Conure
If its inside his cage it would seem the place brings it on. My bird bites inside his cage only. If he is on my shoulder he doesnt attack my fingers.

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Mango has constant access to pellets and veggies, plus he gets mash, nutriberries, fruit and nuts as treats ALL the time. He will take food from my fingers ever so gently, but if I try to hold on to it he gets really aggressive. Also, if he thinks Im trying to take food away (an assumption he makes as soon as he has whatever Im giving him) he will make a big show and act nippy. I never take things away unless he (rarely) finds something he isnt suppose to have. He is super worried about this though and I think it might just be instinctual. Mango can be a little aggressive about his food dishes in his cage too. I agree with goalerjones that your birds might be a bit cage aggressive. I fill Mango's dishes when he isnt in his cage, and I take them all out and fill them away from him. I also change his cage up big time on a regular basis to try to prevent some of the cage aggression. When he is in his cage, I show him a treat before I put my hands near him. He has to be nice or he doesnt get the treat. If he gets aggressive with me I close the door and walk away. I come back later and do the same thing again. This has really helped. When possible I will even eat the treat before I leave to drive the message home. I really dont like it when he gets thinking he can chomp away and threaten me. Mango is really food motivated though.

Most Reactions