Food problems

J86

May 22, 2011
My conure is mainly on roudybush pellets. But i noticed when he eats most of his food ends up as powder in his dish, so half of the cup ends up as powder. Should i let him eat that? Seems like a waste of food if he just grinds it up and lets the rest sit there. Or should i switch sizes?

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
You could try switching sizes, although I know some people will use that dust and mix it into birdy bread! Or sprinkle it over fresh foods.

Currently, I am feeding my entire flock cockatiel sized Harrison pellets, including my mitred conure. The smaller size allows him to eat it with less food being flung around (getting hit by flying projectiles hurts!). That said, he loves to use his beak and swish it around inside his food dish, or pick up large amounts of food and a lot of it falls out of his beak since he's missing half if it anyway... so food still gets wasted!

WannaBeAParrot

Jul 5, 2012
Media
SE Florida and Sullivan County, NY
Parrots
Cody-Blu, female Blue-Crowned Conure, Hatched - (approx) June 1, 2014, in a South Florida tree.

Pritti (Cherry-Head Conure) -- Fly in Peace my beautiful boy. Forever I'll love you.
I know what you mean. I never thought of reusing it though -- birdy bread is not something I make, but maybe I'll try mixing it in a bit of oatmeal next time I make it.

The smaller size sounds like something I'm going to try too.

Thanks for the ideas.

Most Reactions