For orchid lovers

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I just HAVE to directly insert this picture....I hope you don't mind.

OH MY GOSH how gorgeous!!!!!! What type is it? I've never seen one of those before. MAGNIFICENT!!!!! :D :D :D

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
That is gorgeous! What kind of orchid is that?

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
How interesting!!!!!!! Please do tell us what kind that one is. :)

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Marley-YSA (hen) -hatched 07/20/2006;
Simba-DYHA (hen)-hatched 06/23/2003
Hehehe.....thank you!
Thank you Wendy for inserting my picture.
This is from the family of Bulbophyllum. They like a LOT of humidity which is close to ZERO in Colorado. But I am trying my best so it blooms for me ....I think 3 years in a row..... :)....I mean once a year, not continuously.
The actual tag of this orchid if you are interested says
Bulb longissium x mastigion putidom....so it's a cross of 2 species.
There are few more blooms in my house at this moment, I could post later if you are interested to look..... :)
I could never imagine I could talk orchids on THIS forum. It makes it easy for me...I don't have to jump in between 2 forums.......hahahaha!!!!!
But with this one I'll have to brag to my old friends on the orchid forum..:rolleyes:

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh YES YES YES...please post as many pics of your most GORGEOUS orchids that you can share!!! :D :D :D

My Cattleya seems to be in shock right now because I just brought her inside a few weeks ago (before the first frost). She "was" spitting out a flower for me, but ever since she's been in doors, she's come to a screeching halt. :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
You remember I posted about orchids awhile back about my orchids having keiki and I have seeds now too. My other orchid grew keiki too so now there's 5 keiki total and I started a pop trying to grow the seeds out of the orchid mix and moss on top inside a glass container with the top covered to keep moisture in. Trying this way instead of the growing medium....

GaryBV

Nov 2, 2013
Southwestern Pennsylvania
Parrots
Pacific Parrotlets - green Beanieboy and blue Skya;
Fischer Lovebirds - Mariposa and Papillon
Oh my I just love orchids. Two weeks ago I picked up a Phalaenopsis orchid for only $4.99 at Wal-Mart!!! I just couldn't pass it up. I used to have quite a few orchids, but we moved to this place about 10 years ago and there is just not enough window space for them. My saddest story about an orchid is about a Cattleya I had babied and babied, a startling crimson and yellow, and I finally got it to bloom, but on the very day it bloomed I had to leave on a month long trip to Indonesia and Thailand, and when I came back.... flower dead!

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Gary, I have a similar sad story about my Cattleya. The very first time it bloomed for me, I was SO very excited. The day after the flower had fully opened one of my fids decided to use that flower as a landing pad. POOF...there went the glorious flower. :(

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Does the phalaenopsis bloom more often? My mini phalaenopsis been blooming all year long....

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Does the phalaenopsis bloom more often? My mini phalaenopsis been blooming all year long....

:eek: No kidding??? Mine have bloomed twice this year, for VERY long periods of time, but I currently only have 1 that is still blooming, but another one of my Phalps is putting out another flower stem at the moment. :D

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots

Phals are known for blooming non-stop. Not all of them though. I had one (a rescue from Walmart) that bloomed non-stop for few years. Usually it happens with the ones that have sprays of flowers and flowers are smaller.
I have one (well few.... :eek:) Psychopsis orchids that bloom literally non-stop. They call them "Butterfly orchid" or "Forever bloom orchid".
I'll post a picture later (I am trying to clean my house....:mad:), or you can google it. It's one of my favs.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Simba landed on one of mine Catts in bloom.....:mad:.....so instead of having 3 (!!!!) flowers I have to settle for enjoying only 2.........:54:

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
My mini one I got from Lowe's for a quarter that was half dead. It kept growing new stems off the existing stems and kept blooming. This is also the one that started growing keiki.

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
You are all so cute with your birds and your orchids, I can't stop smiling here. Good to know I am not the only one.....:p

I'll be a BIG snob, but I have to tell you this....hehe....the orchid's flowering stems are called "spikes"....hehe, sorry.

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
I actually know that....just too used to calling it stems instead of spike...lol

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
I have 6 phalaenopsis and mine bloom every 2 - 3 months. The mini one I have is about twice a year, so that's awesome how yours is in constant bloom! I also have a Miltonia that blooms twice a year.

Betrisher

Jun 3, 2013
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Parrots
Dominic: Galah(RIP: 1981-2018); The Lovies: Four Blue Masked Lovebirds; Barney and Madge (The Beaks): Alexandrines; Miss Rosetta Stone: Little Corella
Has anyone grown Stanhopeas? I keep thinking I'd like to have a go, but then they cost $$$ and I just can't imagine them staying alive during our hot summer with their spikes stickin' out the bottom of the pot. Are they difficult to keep going? Are they subject to heat and periodic drying-out?

My Dendrobiums flowered like mad this year, but the new Catt and Oncidiums didn't. Snif! It's going to be a killer summer, judging by the spring we've had, so I'll have to be really vigilant about keeping the orchids moist. Maybe next year I'll try a Phalaenopsis... maybe... I'm just too scared to start off with one and then have it turn to tea-leaves before my very eyes. :(

OP
torrap

torrap

Jun 10, 2013
CO, USA
Parrots
Stanhopeas have the coolest flowers ever. That's the one I didn't grow....yet.....:p. I think they need 90% humidity which we could only achieve when taking showers here in Colorado USA.......:54:
You are lucky, you are in the land of Dendrobiums!

Here are some of my blooms I have at the moment. The purple Catt with two flowers had 3 flowers before Simba landed on it. It's very fragrant. The Psychopsis is the one on a 5 feet long spike.....:p...has only one flower right now, but there are 3 spikes there and the other 2 flowers are coming up.
What Blooms Now Photos by minsk80 | Photobucket

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
Stanhopeas have the coolest flowers ever. That's the one I didn't grow....yet.....:p. I think they need 90% humidity which we could only achieve when taking showers here in Colorado USA.......:54:
You are lucky, you are in the land of Dendrobiums!

Here are some of my blooms I have at the moment. The purple Catt with two flowers had 3 flowers before Simba landed on it. It's very fragrant. The Psychopsis is the one on a 5 feet long spike.....:p...has only one flower right now, but there are 3 spikes there and the other 2 flowers are coming up.
What Blooms Now Photos by minsk80 | Photobucket

Your flowers are absolutely exquisite!!!!!!!!! I think I need to rid some of my plants and go full orchid.... :D

Most Reactions

Latest posts