Forget how big he is sometimes!

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw (Titan) & Yellow Naped Amazon (Kelly)
One of the girls walked in when I had Kelly out on the table at the shelter and she looked at Kelly and went who the heck is that??!! I'm like he's mine don't touch or you'll die. She thought he was huge. I forget sometimes that he is bigger than most amazons we see. Always fun to watch the girls be cautious around the monster bird though:D
q7AxdpB.jpg

clayman

Jun 26, 2016
Prague, Czech Republic
Parrots
Female BFA's -- Ori and Tia (sisters, hatched in May '16)
Wow, that's CAG territory in terms of weight. :) I weigh my BFA girls pretty much every day, and they are in the 340-370g interval, which I consider quite fine.

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
He is a big boy. He was about 100g heavier when I adopted him. Now hes just big still within range for the YNA though. He gets his exercise chasing people down:p

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Not Porky for a Yellow Nape Amazon, not at all!

Our Double Yellow Head Amazons is on the small size for DYHA's and he pulls in at 510. Our friend's Mealy Amazon shakes the scale at 725 and he is about average for a Mealy.

The top end of the Amazon family has some big Parrots!

* The perch on the Scale has a very interesting shaving to them, are they shaved from dowels?

FYI: The Yellow-Winged Amazons, which is part of the Blue-Fronted Amazon family will push in around 450.

Last edited:

mh434

Oct 28, 2014
BC, Canada
Parrots
Yellow-naped Amazon "Sammy"
Love birds (4)
Green-cheeked Conure "Skittles" - now, sadly gone from my life
Blue-Crowned Conure "Tequila"
African Grey "Reno" - sadly, now gone from my life
Well, that helps put my YNA Sammy's size in perspective...he's currently at 630 grams...he's a BIG boy, with attitude to match!:eek:

OP
riddick07

riddick07

Dec 22, 2011
PA
Parrots
Well, that helps put my YNA Sammy's size in perspective...he's currently at 630 grams...he's a BIG boy, with attitude to match!:eek:

Yeah that is still in range for a YNA as long as he isn't a butterball:)

Kelly as a butterball when he first came home...and this was after losing some weight at the shelter. I've posted this a couple times now lol

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Kelly really is a big boy!!! Kiwi is 420 grams, which is about right for a BFA. I seem to notice YNA's and DYH's seem to be of a "thicker" build than other amazons. My mom's DYH is also a big amazon (pushing 600 grams). She is not fat though, she is solid with muscle from lots of flying (and also has a "hearty" appetite)! She makes Kiwi look rather scrawny by comparison!

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
He is a big boy. He was about 100g heavier when I adopted him. Now hes just big still within range for the YNA though. He gets his exercise chasing people down:p

At one point in her life,Amy weighed in at a hefty 524g's :eek:

She is at 482 now :rolleyes:

Jim

Most Reactions