Forgive and forget!

inkedandloud

Oct 20, 2013
Parrots
Cockatiel by the name of Django.
So 'Django Incage', which is his full official title, has been with me now for just over a week.

All is going well with him despite a minor attempt he made to tear off my finger this weekend mid-cage clean. But that's all in the past and I haven't roasted him in the oven yet. Just kidding ;)

My question is, is it ok to mix bird types? i.e. keeping him with a budgie? Should I leave him for a few months to settle in before I introduce another bird? Any advice would be awesome! :white1: + :greenyellow: = :eek: ????

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
"Keeping him with a budgie" as in getting a budgie, or as in keeping them in the same cage?

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
If you are talking about putting a budgie in with him, from what I've read, you shouldn't, one or the other (can't remember which) can attack the other. I'd read conflicting information, but if that is possible, I wouldn't risk it.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
I don't think mixing them would go over too well.

When Django gets too feisty, walk to his cage with a pot of oil and a bowl of flour and smile. He might not get it but you will feel better. LOL

OP
inkedandloud

inkedandloud

Oct 20, 2013
Parrots
Cockatiel by the name of Django.
Hmmm, maybe I will leave it then! Just focus on my angry little chum.

Hehehe, good plan Captsteve :') maybe eat some chicken next to his cage and make some serious eye contact! Haha!

***on a serious note, I have no intention of cooking the bird***

Although if anyone could offer a recipe . . . . ;)

jugoya

Mar 7, 2013
Shreveport, La USA
Parrots
Porter (Broto); Fuggles(Budgie)
Though Cockatiels are commonly kept with budgies...

Its a common misconception that its a good idea, if you were to do so you would likely need an aviary sized cage. Budgies are bossy busybodies.

And despite a smaller size will likely badger and torment poor Dj.

Though I have successfully kept a male Cockatiel with a male budgie.. I wouldn't recommend it, these two had been through thick and thin together in an abusive household. The cockatiel was so banged up he didn't live much longer than a couple of years after that.

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
The only recipes I found were on how to cook a galah. ;)

Jugoya is correct. I often say that cockatiels are like the laid back golden retrievers that enjoy watching things happen. Budgies are more like an annoying pesky small dog that must always be in your face, have Napoleon complexes and can't sit still.

Yes, it can be done, and I've done it as well, but not in a small cage! For the most part, I also had multiple birds of each species, except for the last hen I had before rehoming her. She decided she liked my mitred conure that is easily 8 times her size, and he didn't like her. I couldn't trust that she wouldn't get herself killed every time I let her out of her cage, so I placed her in a budgie only home!

If you ever want to consider another species in the future (after quarantine and seeing if the birds get along), bourkes are nice birds! :)

strudel

Sep 30, 2013
Media
And despite a smaller size will likely badger and torment poor Dj.
Yes, that's it, thanks. I'd also read that it could be bad that somebody ends up dead :( How about another weiro? My 2 seem happy together (I adopted them together, I didn't introduce them).

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
If you intend on getting a flight cage then it's doable. If not I wouldn't suggest it. Budgies can be little pests as they won't stop pestering the tiels when they're being rejected.

Most Reactions