Hello from a point where DE MD & PA meet.

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Wilmington DE - Landenberg PA
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
HI all.

Note: To moderators, Please read, if not study, I am asking well in advance for a little leeway due to the possibility of old habits still a live and kicking. My intent is that I will not be a 1% , a little bit of a 9%, but mostly stay in the 90% as I have been well before I joined.

Inserted after previewing. If you are limiting to 10,000 characters then why waste my time typing another 3000.? (insert jack in the box musiuc) POP GOES the weasel!

Ive been lurking here several years . Its my go to site for parrot info, I dont remember when I joined or why? There must have been a thread that got my gander up enough to want to say something??? any ways

Disclaimer: I am very familiar with forum psyche, and given that the 90/9/1 is to stereo type based on posts is grossly inaccurate way to pigeon hole people. or is it? :09:

Buckle up! This is likely to be a bumpy ride. I suspect that because I sort of stereotype parrrot owners due to the "style' of writing, interactions with their birds.

1. where is your donate button?

2. My background has provided a wealth of knowledge. I like to say that I know a little about nearly everything. I was or am a sponge, constantly learning sucking info from the internet.

3. I was/am no longer an active moderator of freesking website with several hundred thousand members. I think its important for people to know this in that , I understand forum very well, like the 90/9/1 rule, or some other variation.

3a. Increase your text box size.. I get wordy and these tiny, oh wait idb bulletins weren't created with me in mind, sorry., nevrt mind

4. i am 54 yrs old and eccentric (my own self evaluation)

5. my writing style tends to leave out congeniality and I often can come across as rather harsh.

5a. as I proof, yes I know this is a parrot forum. I got a Green wing Macaw or so they say, he looks hybred (sp mistake purposed) Impossible to believe he is a baby. I love my Rudy. tootie fruity probably got cooties. My little snuggle monkey who love to actually eat 10% of his food. i digress. more of him later. as in some other day

6. due to the above, (part 5) i feel it necessary to point out that, I never hold a grudge, forgive and forget. the past is that, the past. You can change it. I love spirited conversations/debates/arguments .

7. I live or think philosophically . I believe in giving back what has been taken or at a minimum compensate,.

8. Reference item 1. it pisses me off when in a place like this... I cant easily find what I want to do. I need to ease my guilt of not giving back for all I have taken from here.

9. In your search box, I typed several (3) versions related to donate .

10. admirable this place is free to join. Is it free to run.

10a. jeez louise... (the proof insertions are item# then a oh nice . this is an idb bulletin? Is there a list on here of all the [html controls/]

11. I can offer volumes of my own interactions to the forum however

12. due to my personality,

12a. (online personality due to f'd up writing style)

12 continued. .... coupled with OCD, extreme ADHD, minor bi-polar and borderline personality issues.

13. given my forum experience with a wide variety of subjects going all the way back to AOL 1.0 and IRC and MIRC - therefore IMHO it's better that....

14. I wont get involved the way I have over the last 20 years of forum experience.

15. I am in the midst of a large multi staged project related to housing both personal and venture related. A fundamentally wrong thing to do . like marrying into a family run business where you work.

So whats the point of all the above?

16. I love a challenge, so before starting this project ,I bought a baby Green wing macaw, his name is Rudy.

17. My previous parrot experience was with a BFA who I tried to handle for five years right up to the day of his passing, where my interaction had degraded in to my screaming at my significant other. TO LET HIM DIE IN PEACE. LEAVE HIM ALONE! dONT STRESS HIM AT THE VET. LEAVE HIM HERE IN HIS CAGE IN THIS ROOM. LEAVE HIM THE F A LONE. LET HIM PASS IN PEACE.

18. SO! though I could never get to hold him (Oliver BFA 34 yo), unless she ( my other half, significant other. Teri) went on vacation for 4 days or more

18a (on day 3, OLiver usually would give in (( I guesss you are my new owner.)) I offer to send her way often just so OLiver and I could be friends.

19. SIncehis passing, it turned out that I missed him terribly,. Oliver passed April 2015. (I have had a dozen or so other pets, mostly dogs. after enduring 3 months of heartache. Often, to the point of tears. I told myself, "i am going to get my own bird".

20. This meant enduring lectures, from the other half. I 'm not a baby. nothing ever is good enough, shut up..so ironically, so funny, I just got nipped. How much do these birds sense? did he just notice my rise in BP and nipped me. awwwwww. okay time for a Rudy break.. come here, you big baby..

20a. THis place better not time out.. what is it cntrol a control c?

20b I lost post corrections 23 to 33 for some reason

20c I USE CAP LOCKS BECAUSE i AM SCREAMING.. i CANT BELIEVE THAT THE CANNED FORUMS DONT HAVE AN AUTO SAVE. yes I know i am a small percent of a percent who types books and novelettes and then does soemthng spastic to wipe out an hour(s) of typed gobbily gook from a overly intelligent crosswired brain similar to the worse windows OS you have ever encounttered. anyways....

21. Due to my day to day life. (lots of substories ccould be inserted here)

22. In forum posts, I like questions directed to me. Please, be as subtle as a cinder block between the eyes. Im not good with nicey nice. I am good with direct [poigant] converstations and prefer..\

23. I think its impossible to offend me. say something harsh and derogatory to me? I like it. I tells me exactly how you feel.

24. back up statements with facts. I cant stand comments or points or whatevers that arent at at least at a minimum prefaced with something like..... a disclaimer? I digress sorry..

25. Did I mention I like spirited debates?

26. I get lazy and after so much back spacing, i give u[p with my fingers not working well. My advance apologizes to the less than (insert percentage) of people who have read this far for my uincorrected spelling chell speclker

27. I got a litttle attention starved kid that wont give up sliding down my arm. He has his eyes set on this keyboard. Oh gawd.. heaven forbid I should give something else attention than him. I havent been on the computer much at all since I got Rudy September 15 or (note to self to look up adoption date[topnmdate. He was born June 2nd.

28. Digression; Where is the best place to keeep a thread about me / about Rudy. note to self to ask the questions. sub thought ....: A running thread to be used as a journal/diary/blog.

28a. I would like a place here for adding whatevers specific to Rudy, not necessarily - well yeah , on the other hand would a "history" be a useful thing? interesting topic the more I think about it.

28b often threads morph into conversations that seem like that they specific to just a few people.

28c what is you active thread starter % here out of active posters.

28d. what percentage of active members logged in last 30 days actually made a post.

28e. Does admin have a sub board here or one of the numerous add-ons that can be queried for usage data? Can I hAVE LIMITED ACCESS FOR A 24 HOUR PERIOD. it would help me a lot in my own personal time management going forward in relation to how I participate.

28f. Who is the site techie here?

29. where was I ? oh! introduce my self. I wonder how many people read long texts. I tend not to.. I havent read any other introduce your self texts here for example.

30. oh yeah .. I remember Ive been generating a "You have been warned post" and on that note. I think I will scroll to the top and insert a note to the moderators here. whats you median age of the active posters. ( test Question as a control for future reference)

30a. Cutting here...

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
Rudy - Hybrid Ruby Macaw Born 6/6/15 Scarlet Mother/Green Wing Father - Oliver BFA RIP 3/15/15 @ 34yo. Without you, I would not have Rudy. Thank you!
I trying to post items 31 - 50 I have to wait 5 minutes . I am confused. I hAVE POSTED ..... im SORRY IVE NOT MUCH PATIENCE FOR THIS TYPE OF THING. okay my inside voice....

vbull 3.8 text limit at 10k? since when. whyeeeeee?

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
c'mon.. back in the day... sure there were spammers. but why make me wait to post?

31. Hmmm limit to 50 items? okay.. deal

32. Rudy has chilled sitting on my shoulder doing that annoying grinding of the lower beak when it goes side to side quickly 4 or 5 times. I read it means it content and he certainly relaxed right now.,

33. Having a baby ( I still cant get over this huge bird 1155g on 10/4/15. ) need to weigh him again. The scale is a story in itself. I finally built one.

34. he ate formula along with top shelf Macaw food fresh this and that and every variety for his first 2 weeks. He refused completely his formula 2 weeks after getting home. so thats when I modified a digital scale. I was worried he wasnt eating enough.

35 . I read eats 20% of his weight daily? holy cow 1/2 pound!! I know there is easily that much on the floor every day, but.

35a Anyone have a graph for weight gain for macaws Greenwing specific cause they are larger typically. The store told me he weighed a 1000g yet when I weighed him he was always way over 1100g once 1180g that was a bout a month ago.

36. Rudy. jeez just cause I had a BFA around for 5 years, I was confident of finding a bird on a specific day at a specific place for very specific reasons.

37. my story with purchasing Rudy, would be an important one to share. However I wont tell parts of it without the whole story.

38. I will say this, unless you have a personality traits. suitable for the amount of work (time) Do not buy a baby green wing macaw. Now with that said. I have had a ball with this guy. It was a good choice for me. NO a GREAT choice. however we have had our moments,

39. I marvel at the number of members who list there flocks they live with. I want a survey with personal questions of everyone of you. Reason. I am a betting there is a common thread that can be generalized to some degree that if given to someone. It would say, " if this is not you, then don't get a bird."

40. Disclaimer to the above. I am a new bird owner who knows nothing but what they have read. However, I am also a good read of people. Okay these points are going to end in no whereville, except " what is this and why does it taste so bad. and dont you know I have a condition called thinskin?

41. Rude Rude Rudy.. I want to teach him to say F off! and I wan t him to be able to do it on cue. where do I gind best parrot traners?

42. awwwwwwwww my little snuggle monkey is laying across shoulders, he was sitting on my right shoulder he just stretched out and head is on left as I am haunched over this laptop..

43. he is being so good now. And aww man, can he be a monster.. I did my homework and while I made a decision on which bird over a 2 hour period.

44. a large breeder in southern delaware opened their store for me to meet on a saturday night from 7-9pm 2 hours after thier 5pm closing.

45. I don't know the forum rules on mention specifics related to what came easily come across as promotional. However....

46. I can easily become a sales persons worst nightmare. My experience was a positive one. UNbelievably positive, had I had more or made more time, I am sure I may have been able to make even a better match

47. okay 50 quickly approaches. Hopefully this whole message will let others who are interested met the criteria of a true introduction.

48. Purposely, I have numbered sentences or points purposely so that if anyone replies hopefully they will use an item number. crap Rudy rest is over wakes up and proceeds to comb hair, works some more on chewing a mole off the back of neck.. c', mon rudy 2 more items. okay I just got poked in the eye that does it

49. I know you should not yell or react respond to bad behaviorl, but a firm RUDY, STOP IT! has froze him in his tracks, he does get that a couple time a day.

50. I love this guy. I went to send a pic from my phone as an attachment to my son (3rd year UVM) and google cloud did something quite interesting. MY sons reply was: wow those are really good? His reply confused me. I selected one pic from hundreds on my phone which is a crappy little $45 walmart LG throwaway phone.

GO To this link. NOte ig nore the first two pics. and remember google cloud did this automatically. Hope I can find an easy way to get a copy of the link from phone to here and this board doesn't scrub it. hope it works!!

THis is Rudeeeeeee. most, appear to me, as shots taken after his shower! https://goo.gl/photos/PvqQ21FKTY6QrfuA9.

MangoandKiwi

Oct 20, 2015
Pittsburgh
Parrots
two green cheek conures (former breeders) Mango and Kiwi
lol I hope that first picture is not Rudy's food :eek::D

Welcome to the forum, I don't know anything about :red1:, besides that he looks amazing and shouldn't eat that what was in that first picture :cool:

Aquila

Nov 19, 2012
Philadelphia
Parrots
Sydney - Blue Front Amazon
Gonzo - Congo African Grey
Willow - Cockatiel
RIP:
Snowy, Ivy, Kiwi, Ghost - Parakeets
Berry - Cinnamon GCC
Welcome to the forums. :)

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
lol I hope that first picture is not Rudy's food :eek::D

Welcome to the forum, I don't know anything about :red1:, besides that he looks amazing and shouldn't eat that what was in that first picture :cool:

THank you for your reply = 116 views AND 5 replies. 4% is far less than the 9% rule, which tells me a lot . Especially with a post designed to get replies.
Sadly it confirms what I suspected. oh well.

I wrote a dozens of questions, not one answer.

Yeah okay, my mommy told me the same thing, I understand, " if you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything."

SO here: let me do something good. Lets start with something positive .

Being informed is a good thing. Misinformation is a bad thing, it is easily spread and repeated. Sadly. Fear mongering with alarmist attitudes is what generates our 6pm news. Let me help

Raw Cannabis. First off, no doubt bird digestive tracts are different than that of humans or are they? Food in = Crap out.

News Flash! Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

Decarboluxation must occur to cannabis strains containing THCA. Iam presuming that the psychactive chemicals contained with in cannabis is what puts it on the (bad for birds list) Is THC bad for birds or is one or more of the other 400+ chemicals that make up cannabis?

In simple terms: Weed must be heated at roughly 175 degrees for an hour for it to become psychoactive. This is probably why for thousands of years it has been smoked. THCA is converted to THC during decarboluxation.

Now with that said, there are several other cannabinoids that are psychoactive and horticulturists today ( as in the last couple of years) are developing strains high in the CBD's for the medicinal effects. I do not know what affect, if any occurs when ingesting RAW cannabis high in CBD's - I have heard of strains reaching 9% normally CBD's are only 1 or 2%.

I can assure you that whoever put cannabis on the (not safe) list for parrots.... can't produce any technical information or case studies, or any real life reports like... hey man, my bird ate my stash and died.... for that matter.

I most certainly can attest that absolutely zero affects occurred with a BLue Fronted amazon who loved to shred ( much to dismay) cannabis buds. Periodically during the winter months, when he was being directed toward the lights - he would freak in anticipation ..... hurry up!.... lol I think it was HID light spectrum he was craving, not the fresh off the vine salad.

The majority of the states in the US now allow Dr's to prescribe cannabis. Patients with prescriptions look for and will try different strains looking for the one that works the best for them. High CBD content is a better pain reliever, I honestly don't know what THC is good for treating. Lack of a social life or belonging to a group?

Here is a more technical explanation.

The cannabis plant produces THCA which has little effect on us. In order to "get high" you must decarboxulate the cannabis (remove the carbon atom) Using heat or time converts the THCA or tetrohydrocanabanolic acid in to delta9-THC . Furthermore, if you are ingesting cannabis raw, after it has been properly dried and cured, it will be considerably more effective if you bond it (MIX BLEND DISSOLVE) to an alcohol, fat or oil because the THC will bind to them subsequently allowing the THC to then be absorbed in the small intestine more efficiently.

So, In closing - don't smoke weed around your bird the same way you dont smoke cigarettes around them. Don't feed them a cookie made from cannabutter. Baking causes decarboxylation And heaven forbid, why would you let them eat your crop. For the same reasons farmers fence. They don't want the cows, sheep, horses, goats in the families garden.

Lastly - I completely forgot the whole reason why I introduced my self after years of lurking. I am intensely worried about rudy not getting socialized, please please please if you are any where near zip code 19348, I need my bird to meet people. I can't stand out on the road any more as people drive by its too cold out now.

BIg catch. I dont drive and to ask people to pack up and bring their bird is asking alot. I am begging. If you are in the area, please make contact, I'll figure out how to come to you, if all else fails.

Ive already noticed the way he treats Teri who no longer lives with me when she visits once a week and I see signs progressively that the interaction with her is not good.

This is a woman who I label as a animal whisperer, every animal seems to take to her. Teri said last night, he doesnt like me. I tried to explain "thats not it, he likes you... he is extremely curious about you, but he is testing you"

Anyways at not quite 5 months old now, its important to me to expose him to people who know how to handle large birds. He is a sweet boy with me. but just like a hyperactive toddler...... Rudy is completely flighted and its likely I am spoiling him. Recent indications of separation anxiety are causing concern. Soon he is going to to have to move to his own room and custom built enclosure.

OP
DiscoDuck

DiscoDuck

Banned
Banned
Jun 9, 2012
Media
Parrots
LOL 2 of the 5 replies were my own... I like how this site is full of nicey nice people, but howdy! Let your true colors shine!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
LOL 2 of the 5 replies were my own... I like how this site is full of nicey nice people, but howdy! Let your true colors shine!

Well, I don't wish to appear rude, but your post is kinda all over the map and hard to follow. So, I don't really know what to say, except welcome to the forums...

And please don't get your bird stoned!

If you choose to do that, it's your life, your body, and you choice... your bird doesn't really have that choice if you're slipping him pot.

Maybe I'm just not getting what your saying here, cuz, well, you were kinda all over the map here... but if you are, please don't.

Last edited:

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I... don't even... I couldn't read it all. I need a TL;DR summary [emoji33]

I assume you do mainly want Rudy socialized? And that you've made a lot of assumptions about the forums... and I'm glad you don't smoke weed around your bird because yes, it's not good. And I'm not sure the post is designed to get a lot of replies because imo it was really hard to read...

As for #41... please don't [emoji33]
#39 - I don't think it's that easy, unfortunately... I wish it was
#35a - there are charts all over the Internet, but it does depend on where the bird's heritage is from ("normal" vs. "Bolivian"), average is about 1300g I think. Ranges from about 1100g-1700g.
#28 - there's a macaw forum
#24 - not sure there's enough research into parrots and all the different species to present solidly backed up information 100% of the time... we're still learning. Psittacine research isn't a huge industry.

And yes, I answered everything backwards because to actually read everything I had to scroll up and down a few times. [emoji43]

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Little history lesson. The really LARGE macaws, that were sold as Bolivian birds in this country, were smuggled birds.

They're actually from the interior of Columbia...

Columbia stopped legal exports, but had the best birds. So they documented them as wild caught in Bolivia...

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!
Whew, I made it through all that! Still have no clue what it was...

Welcome to the forum!

Christinenc2000

Oct 8, 2014
North Carolina
Parrots
Big Bird _ Blue & Gold Macaw
I made it thru the first post. Kicked my self in the butt for doing drugs in my younger years.
JK
About making it thru the first post
Maybe

Um Welcome.

Captsteve

Jul 17, 2013
Crestview Fl.
Parrots
Goffin Too, U2, Scarlet Mac, B&G Mac, DYH Zon, CAG and a
Birdbrained Wife!

True Colors?

Most of your questions are directed at mods. the rest are incoherent babbling.

If you want an answer to a question, post one simple (or not so simple) question.

You (From your ramblings) have enough experience to know multiple questions on a forum usually won't garner any answer. they are too confusing and all over the place.

As for your post being designed to illicit responses, You are definitely right. You are trying to do what trolls do best, stir up crap!!!

Mallory

Jul 31, 2015
Media
Parrots
YNA hen "Greenleaf", Black Capped x Green Cheek Hybrid "Eva", CAG (hatched 1/1/2016), European Starling "Koda"
I would not normally come on this strong, but you said you have a thick skin and want to know what people really think about your posts.

From what you said, it's like you believe yourself an enlightened individual, believe the mods should spend extra time tracking data down just for you just so you can decide if the forum is worthy of your time. You believe replies to your welcome post are an indication of community activity.

And your post...Your post. I wanted to follow your logic or find some shred of a common thread. I wanted to welcome you and hear your story! Your post read like some unpleasant mechanical stream of consciousness that occasionally hinted at a macaw flavor. Why the bullet points? Why the questions you probably already know the answer to or could easily research? Why hint you had bad impressions of our community you wanted to confirm? Why express a desire to socialize your bird but also ask us about teaching it to cuss? If you are as old as you say, your bird will eventually be looking for a new home barring an unfortunate accident, and a macaw is already a huge burden to will someone so why add bad language to the pot? I won't touch on the other pot being discussed on this thread other than to say it's not something I would bring up here in your first post and basically marks you as potentially trolling for attention. It's like walking into a room of people - "hey guys, I'm new here, want to know why I'm pro-choice??"

Welcome to the forum. I am not trying to be nasty or antagonistic but as with most communities I think you will find you get out of it what you put in. What you just put in will confuse most and perhaps upset some. I hope you can organize your thoughts better in the future and avoid controversial off topics because there are some amazing parrot owners here who can really improve your relationship with your macaw! No hostility meant, I just wanted you to know how an average forum goer might see your thread. Rudy is beautiful. :red: That's all.

ffarl

Aug 8, 2013
colbert-popcorn.gif

Most Reactions

Latest posts