Frankie

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
So Frankie my brand new african grey has ventured out of his cage and is chewing on his new toy inside the cage! Just so you know these are all things the foster parents told me Frankie would not do! I am curious to know why he rubs his beak and head on the bars on the top of his cage? He is still growling at me and throws any treats I offer....but I put some carrots and apples in his food dish and he ate them! I think we are making progress!!!:)

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
Congrats. Sounds like you are having some good progress with him. Has he been watching anymore video games? As far as him rubbing his head and beak against the bars... I wish I could help you. But luckily for you, there are a ton of people here that should be able to help here. :D

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
We are making little progress....slow and steady! I actually went out for awhile today and while I was gone my husband left for work.....when I got home Mario was on the television! I called my husband at work to ask why and he simply told me that he didn't want Frankie to be sad or lonely and that he feels that Frankie really likes Mario! So yes Frankie has been entertained all day by Mario for Wii!

jew1187

Jan 1, 2011
Currently in Rocky Mount VA, Phoenix in May.
Parrots
3 Parakeets, Jaiden, Topaz and Peridot. Baby boy, Skyler, Eclectus.
We are making little progress....slow and steady! I actually went out for awhile today and while I was gone my husband left for work.....when I got home Mario was on the television! I called my husband at work to ask why and he simply told me that he didn't want Frankie to be sad or lonely and that he feels that Frankie really likes Mario! So yes Frankie has been entertained all day by Mario for Wii!

That is great!!! lol. Seriously a good thing though. It will make him feel more at home. And if you both do have to leave, you guys should leave something that makes noise within the vicinity. In the wild when it gets quiet for no apparent reason there is generally a predator around; likewise, a bird in captivity is going to think there is a predator around if it is too quiet. So the Mario thing is a good thing. He sounds like he is going to be a good pet parrot yet. :D Keep up the hard work with im and it will definitely pay off.

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey

That is great!!! lol. Seriously a good thing though. It will make him feel more at home. And if you both do have to leave, you guys should leave something that makes noise within the vicinity. In the wild when it gets quiet for no apparent reason there is generally a predator around; likewise, a bird in captivity is going to think there is a predator around if it is too quiet. So the Mario thing is a good thing. He sounds like he is going to be a good pet parrot yet. :D Keep up the hard work with im and it will definitely pay off.

We were supposed to set up a radio for Frankie today but that never happened! I just have this feeling that eventually Frankie will be singing the Mario tune! Lol.

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
I have read on several different sites that Frankie can eat chicken meat/bones,crab claws and shrimp. What are your thoughts on this?

HRH Di

Jan 9, 2010
Media
McKinney, TX
Parrots
Max - Alexandrine, Jade - Red-Front Macaw, Ruby - CAG
A friend of mine had a Timneh AG who used to hang from the top bars of her cage and scratch her back on the bars...then she molted. Frankie may just be itchy. Try adding some aloe to water in a spray bottle and lightly mist him.

We give our birds cooked chicken and egg from time to time. My CAG, Ruby, LOVES chicken and egg and makes her numm-numm growl when she gets them. I wouldn't give them bones, because, well, I get boneless chicken most of the time. I've never given them any seafood but I don't know that it would hurt them. Chicken and eggs are easier for us. But make sure the eggs and chicken are completely cooked.

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
A friend of mine had a Timneh AG who used to hang from the top bars of her cage and scratch her back on the bars...then she molted. Frankie may just be itchy. Try adding some aloe to water in a spray bottle and lightly mist him.

We give our birds cooked chicken and egg from time to time. My CAG, Ruby, LOVES chicken and egg and makes her numm-numm growl when she gets them. I wouldn't give them bones, because, well, I get boneless chicken most of the time. I've never given them any seafood but I don't know that it would hurt them. Chicken and eggs are easier for us. But make sure the eggs and chicken are completely cooked.

This morning I offered Frankie a piece of orange and he took it out of my hand and ATE it! He didn't throw it!!!! :D We are excited!!!! I will definitely try boneless chicken and eggs.....do I boil these things or cook them in the oven?

Spiritbird

Banned
Banned
Aug 20, 2009
Media
I agree with HRH on the chicken. I feed well cooked chicken wings and please know it is good protein and they love to eat out the marrow. Has Frankie allowed you to scratch his head? Usually there is a key word that they will hear and then lower their head for a scratch. I say tickle tickle and Rosie puts her head down and waits, although sometimes she does not want scratches. As far as seafood goes tuna in water or cook salmon is ok but I do not know about the others you mentioned.

suebee

Jan 13, 2011
This morning I offered Frankie a piece of orange and he took it out of my hand and ATE it! He didn't throw it!!!! :D We are excited!!!! I will definitely try boneless chicken and eggs.....do I boil these things or cook them in the oven?[/QUOTE]

just don't add fat/salt when cooking the chicken :) my nut lurves chicken wings, i generally take the skin off though, but i try not to give her to much high protein things, she also like beef/pork/salmon/prawns not into lamb lol

when i see quail eggs i'll get some for her an boil them up, she can then eat the whole thing like a nut lol

oh have you tried corn on cob?? fresh peas in the pod etc

when ever i cook now i leave nut in mind, as she always shares supper with us, so we are all having no/salt/fat diet lol we do add salt laters if we want to, and as for anything fried etc its a no no for nut or a very teeny tiny nibble lol

OP
M

Maighen

Feb 18, 2011
New Hampshire
Parrots
Frankie-African Grey
Honestly I have not tried to scratch Frankie's head yet....I think I am a little nervous and I don't want to push too much! He still growls a little. He loves fruit....I've tried different vegetables and he throws them away but eats the fruit! A friend of mine doesn't believe Frankie was a breeder bird at all because he is allowing me to do certain things like feed him treats and coming out of his cage so easily! Could his foster parents have been wrong? Or am I just a special bird person? Lol.

Most Reactions

Latest posts