Freaking out! I have rats inside my house can they transmit diseases to my tiel??

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Two Cockatiels: Rascal (Geraldine) and his baby brother named Coconut!
Since past couple days there is something living inside the wall of my house... I can hear it scratching and it also squeaked!! I had rodent problem which I paid a lot of money to eliminate but now it seems problem is back! They might have to cut drywall in middle of my living room to see what is inside the wall.

What if I have disease carrying rodents inside the wall... can they transmit diseases to tiels? I know rats can and will eat tiny birds, not good!

Very upsetting I paid a LOT of money and the imbeciles who were supposed to have secured this house did not do a good job because now I have things living inside my wall in the living room scratching and chewing inside the wall all day!! I'm worries for my tiel! :( Pest control coming tomorrow...

BIRDIGIRL

Jan 25, 2016
Mayo Ireland
Parrots
Rodney Blue Fronted Amazon
RIP Mr Biggles White Fronted Amazon , Elsa and Little Nellow the Lutino Budgies, Lady Primrose a Pied Budgie and English Budgies Houdini Popeye and Olive
So sorry this has happened hope the pest control people are able to get rid of them and help you prevent them coming in again...also dont forget to move your birds elsewhere so that they are not affected by anything the pest control people may use or have to do to get rid of the rats . Hopefully by the weekend you will be ratfree. I know nothing about the diseases that rats can transmit to birds but hopefully the rats havent come into direct contact with your birds or their feed stuff but I do understand your worries. If the rats have got into the bird food then I would throw it out and get fresh food and keep it in a rat proof sealed container .

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
As you said that you had the problem before and they were eliminated it would be wise to check that you are not inadvertently inviting them in?

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
As you said that you had the problem before and they were eliminated it would be wise to check that you are not inadvertently inviting them in?

This house is empty... I have been here for over 15 years and the house is literally empty asides from one bed, a table and an office desk. When someone sees inside of my house they think I just moved in because it is so empty! :) I am a MASSIVE clean freak and a minimalist. I use this house mostly as an office as I work from home. I am a very anal clean freak... NO clutter no mess LOL My house is SPOTLESS and sparking clean at all times. I love being in clean organized clutter free environment it feels great. I even mess proofed my tiels cage... it is wonderful... I now no longer even get any seeds or mess on the floor anymore. I cringe when I see how some people live... or what their fridge looks like on the inside... or what their car looks like on inside, OMG. No thanks.

... so no, I am not inviting rats into my home. My tiel's food is kept in small airtight container in my pantry. I live in Florida unfortunately.. it is a NASTY HUMID DISGUSTING SWAMP... rats, squirrels etc love housing in the attic and the walls of a house. I cannot wait to move back to CA or to Sweden or Hungary and out this horrid place.

Truly Nolen did a terrible job... I will be peaking with the supervisor today. I am very displeased they did a sloppy careless job in securing the attic... otherwise I would not be infested with rats again in the attic and walls of this house. I am not happy! I also don't have any trees touching the roof or anything... so this is really a big mystery how this happened.

Last edited:

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.

This house is empty... I have been here for over 15 years and the house is literally empty asides from one bed, a table and an office desk. When someone sees inside of my house they think I just moved in because it is so empty! :) I am a MASSIVE clean freak and a minimalist. I use this house mostly as an office as I work from home. I am a very anal clean freak... NO clutter no mess LOL My house is SPOTLESS and sparking clean at all times, no exceptions. I love cleaning, I know, I'm weird. I love being in clean organized clutter free environment it feels great. I even mess proofed my tiels cage... it is wonderful... I now no longer even get any seeds or mess on the floor anymore. I cringe when I see how some people live... or what their fridge looks like on the insides, OMG. No thanks.

... so no, I am most certainly not inviting rats into my attic. My tiel's food is kept in small airtight container in my pantry. I live in Florida unfortunately.. it is a NASTY HUMID DISGUSTING SWAMP... rats, squirrels etc love housing in the attic and they can easily get into the walls of a house. I cannot wait to move back to CA or to Sweden or Hungary and out this horrid place.

Truly Nolen did a terrible job... I will be peaking with the supervisor today. I am very displeased they did a sloppy careless job in securing the attic... otherwise I would not be infested with rats again in the attic and walls of this house. I am not happy!

Ok calmly does it, it was just a thought and easily done.

You have done wonders for the tourist trade LOL :)

Hope speaking to the supervisor brings some results. :)

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots

This house is empty... I have been here for over 15 years and the house is literally empty asides from one bed, a table and an office desk. When someone sees inside of my house they think I just moved in because it is so empty! :) I am a MASSIVE clean freak and a minimalist. I use this house mostly as an office as I work from home. I am a very anal clean freak... NO clutter no mess LOL My house is SPOTLESS and sparking clean at all times, no exceptions. I love cleaning, I know, I'm weird. I love being in clean organized clutter free environment it feels great. I even mess proofed my tiels cage... it is wonderful... I now no longer even get any seeds or mess on the floor anymore. I cringe when I see how some people live... or what their fridge looks like on the insides, OMG. No thanks.

... so no, I am most certainly not inviting rats into my attic. My tiel's food is kept in small airtight container in my pantry. I live in Florida unfortunately.. it is a NASTY HUMID DISGUSTING SWAMP... rats, squirrels etc love housing in the attic and they can easily get into the walls of a house. I cannot wait to move back to CA or to Sweden or Hungary and out this horrid place.

Truly Nolen did a terrible job... I will be peaking with the supervisor today. I am very displeased they did a sloppy careless job in securing the attic... otherwise I would not be infested with rats again in the attic and walls of this house. I am not happy!

Ok calmly does it, it was just a thought and easily done.

You have done wonders for the tourist trade LOL :)

Hope speaking to the supervisor brings some results. :)

You can hear the rats or squirrels running around in the attic in middle the the night. I think it is rats unfortunately... it is rather spooky at night I am just waiting for them to chew through the wall and enter the house. I saw many youtube videos of exactly this happening!

The rats just moved in few days ago... hopefully they will be eliminated before I pick up my tiel's new brother in 5 days (the second tiel I'm getting)... during the evening it's rather creepy having things running around in the attic and inside the living room wall! :( ... so I slept with all lights on last night and the TV on :)

wrench13

Staff member
Super Moderator
Parrot of the Month 🏆
Nov 22, 2015
Media
Albums
Isle of Long, NY
Parrots
Yellow Shoulder Amazon, Salty
Rats or squirrels can literally eat the insulation off electrical wires in your walls and set fires. I have lost a car to them eating the insulation off the main battery cable.. went to start the car and WHOOSH. We had a rat problem that no one could fix.. until I got a terrier. 2 months later, no rats.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Rats or squirrels can literally eat the insulation off electrical wires in your walls and set fires. I have lost a car to them eating the insulation off the main battery cable.. went to start the car and WHOOSH. We had a rat problem that no one could fix.. until I got a terrier. 2 months later, no rats.

OMG... now you have me worried this rat problem will not be fixed. I heard they hate moth balls because they are very sensitive to scents... maybe sprinkling lots of moth balls in attic will help? I know I can't have them in the house because of my tiel? I hear they are very powerful.

I just bought a new fire alarm this morning. I will be installing it soon because I am paranoid now about potential fire because I heard lots of chewing inside the wall! =(

Pest control here in about 40 minutes... I spoke with supervisor... turns out I paid them $400 back in 2012 for rodent control... times flies wow. I didn't realize it was that long ago... supervisor told me the rats can create new holes along side the roof? In other words, I am screwed... the "warranty" is over and I might have to pay $400 again... noway! That seems absurd. I will know more once pet control is here.

Did the rats penetrate inside of your home?

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
I am worried rats might have already damaged the wiring in this house... now I would have to hire electrician... how can they even check if the wires are damaged if they can't see the wires? I'm referring to the insulation covering the wires... how can they even determine if it's been chewed?

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
First item: Calm and slow down! The last thing your parrots need is for you to have a Stress Related Event and end up in the Emergency Room!

Second Item: You have gotten really good advice to your Thread. Regardless of what type of animal(s) you may have, being a neat freak only gets you so far. The area that you live in creates natural pressures, year around, that have any number of animals seeking a dryer, safer home. It is not unusual for homes in your area to be treated regularly! My parents would treat yearly, just because.

Third Item: Different animals enter a house from different areas. And Yes, most of the animals that busy themselves to enter a home have the mouth tools to work any weak areas of the home. Most animals will enter from below or above, looking for weak areas commonly found around pipes and/or wire conduit cuts. Next are doors, lower and upper level windows that do not close tightly. And last, any siding that may have come loose with time or weather.

Fourth Item: Electrical wiring insulation is something that a cross-section of animals will chew on, especially if they have been in the home for extended periods of time. Now, what are we talking about here: Go to any floor or table lamp that you have. The cord that runs from the lamp to the outlet has a coating on it. That coating is what we are talking about. Not the same as wall or ceiling insulation. Electrical professionals know what and where to look for sights of wiring damage.

Fifth Item: Diseases are carried by all animals and every Human. What diseases are being carried by the animals entering your home will be common to your area. Most diseases are carried in and on the animal, and likely on the 'bugs' that live in the fur and off the blood of the animal. Some diseases transfer between species, most do not.

Since you have very little in your home, there are very few contact points that you need to concern yourself with. Anywhere that is or commonly becomes wet it a primary area. Second would be any area that you store, prepare and serve foods

Are they currently, physically inside your living space (not talking about in walls, ceilings, etc...? If you are not seeing sights of their being inside your home, at this point, the concern regarding transfer of disease is fairly low.

Sixth Item: Based on where you live, it will be far less costly to yearly, at first, and then after at least three years, every other year, Chemically Treat and Physically have your home inspected. There is a strong reason why a pest treatment in your area is only warrantied for two years!

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
First item: Calm and slow down! The last thing your parrots need is for you to have a Stress Related Event and end up in the Emergency Room!

Second Item: You have gotten really good advice to your Thread. Regardless of what type of animal(s) you may have, being a neat freak only gets you so far. The area that you live in creates natural pressures, year around, that have any number of animals seeking a dryer, safer home. It is not unusual for homes in your area to be treated regularly! My parents would treat yearly, just because.

Third Item: Different animals enter a house from different areas. And Yes, most of the animals that busy themselves to enter a home have the mouth tools to work any weak areas of the home. Most animals will enter from below or above, looking for weak areas commonly found around pipes and/or wire conduit cuts. Next are doors, lower and upper level windows that do not close tightly. And last, any siding that may have come loose with time or weather.

Fourth Item: Electrical wiring insulation is something that a cross-section of animals will chew on, especially if they have been in the home for extended periods of time. Now, what are we talking about here: Go to any floor or table lamp that you have. The cord that runs from the lamp to the outlet has a coating on it. That coating is what we are talking about. Not the same as wall or ceiling insulation. Electrical professionals know what and where to look for sights of wiring damage.

Fifth Item: Diseases are carried by all animals and every Human. What diseases are being carried by the animals entering your home will be common to your area. Most diseases are carried in and on the animal, and likely on the 'bugs' that live in the fur and off the blood of the animal. Some diseases transfer between species, most do not.

Since you have very little in your home, there are very few contact points that you need to concern yourself with. Anywhere that is or commonly becomes wet it a primary area. Second would be any area that you store, prepare and serve foods

Are they currently, physically inside your living space (not talking about in walls, ceilings, etc...? If you are not seeing sights of their being inside your home, at this point, the concern regarding transfer of disease is fairly low.

Sixth Item: Based on where you live, it will be far less costly to yearly, at first, and then after at least three years, every other year, Chemically Treat and Physically have your home inspected. There is a strong reason why a pest treatment in your area is only warrantied for two years!

No worries, I'm not THAT stressed over rats... so long as they stay inside the wall that is LOL. I've been through a lot of very serious things in my life... rats are the least stressful ordeal I ever dealt with so no worries ;) ... but after watching rats chewing through drywall and entering the living room on youtube it freaked the heck out of me as I was sitting here at night and this thing is scratching and scratching at the wall as if it were chewing it's way out and also seems they are trying to jump out of the AC vents right above my head as they are running around above it. I'm scared of the dark already and I would totally flip out with rats running around inside my house at night I'm scared of everything when it's dark! I would pee my pants :p

Thankfully, the rats are inside the attic and walls... not inside my actual house living area... not yet at least. Pest control just left... they sealed up possible entry areas on the roof and put traps in the attic... so I expect I'm going to smell dead bodies in few days. I REALLY hate killing things and feel bad for the rats... but better that than this house burn down or my tiel gets injured. I have been using pest control for past several years they come out here every 3 months or more if needed... rodent treatment is separate service they offer which is way overpriced at $600!!!... but I negotiated price down to $200 :) ... but omg... it seriously sounds like that rat is about to bust through the drywall with the nonstop scratching and chewing I keep hearing... not a great feeling :eek:

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
OMG!! LOL OMG... my heart is racing. Ok, I take back what I just said. I suddenly jumped from my chair because the rats are inside the wall in my living room (wall right behind my TV) and I heard a loud cracking thump sound as if it busted through the drywall. I can hear what sounds exactly like scissors opening and closing and opening and closing very rapidly... are those the rats teeth?? It definiftely sounds like it is chewing on something.

If that thing busts through the drywall I am soooooo outta here!

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Sorry to triple post in a row... but can rats come out of that hole I have on my wall? That's where my old fire alarm was... I hope rats can't come out of that hole before I manage to install new fire alarm? :34: As it will be few days until I can....

Last edited:
OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
Wow, after reading tons of horror stories like the one below on rats squeezing through bars of bird cage. I no longer feel bad about KILLING rats! I didn't even realize mice/rats can cause the below catastrophe. What a horrible way to die :(

I had a cockatiel named Birdie and I loved him dearly. One morning my mum found birdie on the bottom floor of his cage. She found it strange as he usually stays on the perch. So she had a look and found that both his legs were chewed off and that a piece of his leg was lying on the bottom floor of the cage (where the poop lands). She couldn't believe it. What's worse was he was still alive. So who knows when his legs were chewed off. He suffered so much! My mum tried to take him to a vet but he died later that morning.
We all couldn't stop crying for the loss of our little loved one.
I still cannot believe rats/mice could do such a thing. I'm not sure how to get rid of them because I have 3 dogs living in the house as well and one of them is an avid rat hunter.

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
It 'appears' that the 'fire alarm' (possible a smoke alarm) is part of a whole house, inter-wired system. That based on what appears to be an electric wire hanging out of it. If true, there would be a metal wall (light fixture) box mounted in the wall. Once again, if true, if would be difficult for an animal to enter there.

OP
Tropical

Tropical

Oct 13, 2015
Palm Beach
Parrots
It 'appears' that the 'fire alarm' (possible a smoke alarm) is part of a whole house, inter-wired system. That based on what appears to be an electric wire hanging out of it. If true, there would be a metal wall (light fixture) box mounted in the wall. Once again, if true, if would be difficult for an animal to enter there.

My bad, I intended to call it a smoke alarm... I have habit of calling it a "fire alarm". I just got taken to the cleaners.... $888 I just paid (then it is $140/year to renew and if I use them for pest control then I don't have to pay the renewal it will be lifetime warranty)... I'm using a different company now who are supposedly "experts" and do a good job and specialize in rodent control... they showed me the traps the other company put in my attic and they were terrible... all rusted etc... no good... they also didn't secure the house properly. I rather pay higher price and do everything possible to keep my best friend (my tiel) safe. It is very scary to know a rat could easily squeeze through my bird's cage bars... lots of horror stories online. Rats suck!!!

Most Reactions

Latest posts