LaurenB

Oct 28, 2014
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Green Cheek Conure - Tiki //
Sun Conure - Nacho //
Indian Ringnecks - Kermit and Beaker
Hello all,

I have a 5+ year old Conure, Tiki. My work schedule is a little abnormal... I work three 12 hour shifts Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then I am off the rest of the week and weekend. I therefore don't have much time Monday-Wednesday to spend with her... I usually spend 30-45 minutes in the morning before work, and my husband spends 30-45 minutes at night before putting her to bed. On my days off, she gets hours of time.

I leave the radio on for her while I am at work, but still I worry that she is lonely. I can't help but feel like being able to see and hear another bird would still be better company for her.

I LOVE all breeds of birds, and I would LOVE to have another. Based upon my research... I understand if I get another similar sized bird (they will be housed in separate cages regardless), a few scenarios could happen. They could hate each other, they could enjoy each other's company, or they could fall madly in love with each other and I will cease to exist. Obviously, I would want the second option, but I know I have no control over what happens.

My relationship with Tiki is very important to me and I don't want to risk anything changing that.

SO my thoughts/questions are...

Would a parakeet be a good option? I've had them in the past, and as they are still a parrot species, seems like a better option. I would still plan on taming it.

What about finches or canaries? I would get a couple of those as they aren't exactly tame-able but would they be a good idea to keep my Conure company? Obviously they would never be able to interact with each other.

My goals are simply this - a bird (or birds) to keep Tiki company on my long days at work. Tameness is not a priority as I will still enjoy them regardless.

Thanks!

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think canaries or finches would be good for what you're going for. They'll never be able to be tamed or handled, but they would add pleasant sounds and visuals for Tiki if you think she's lonely. They might also disrupt her environment and stress her out, so it's always a gamble adding other birds. But personally I think vocalizations and visuals of other birds is a good thing.

Most Reactions

Latest posts