From one to two birds...what's the transition like?

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots
Sun Conure - Ollie- Hatched 08/18/16*

Nanday Conure -Finley- Hatched 10/07/17*

Turquoise Yellow Sided Green Cheek Conure -Paris- Hatched 03/03/18*

Black Capped Conure -North- Hatched 10/10/18
Hello! I currently have a Sun Conure (9 months old) who is amazing and I love him so much. I do want to get 1 more bird to add to our family because I have the time and the heart for one more bird. I am thinking a little green cheek would be a good addition, that way Ollie is slightly bigger and will feel like the flock leader with this other bird in hopes they will if not become friends, at least tolerate each other. I'd like to hear some stories or what happened with you guys when you went from 1 bird to two, how old the birds were and what type of birds they were and if eventually they were able to share a cage or not. What you would have done differently, if anything. I understand they may hate each other and that is why I am trying to get all the information I can to make sure I can deal with such an occurrence. :orange:

LeaKP

Aug 11, 2014
Media
South Africa
Parrots
Congo African Grey
Your desire for another bird for you is the right motivation. Your sunnie may or may not get along with another bird but if you're getting another bird because you want to, I say go ahead! I had a GCC with an African grey that I was helping to rehabilitate (he wasn't an easy or fun bird for a long time). My GCC didn't care about size and would often fly to the greys cage and snatch food from his dish.

Always scared me! Even though the grey was caged, i didn't allow them out together, I knew he could grab my little GCC through the bars! Thankfully I was able to keep him safe from the grey.

Let us know what you decide!

GCCs can be feisty as well as cuddly.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
Expect to never share a cage! Also, the size of the GCC matters not! My guy will take me on, not bluffing, he will die to hold his ground!

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

I don't really expect them to share a cage but they they could one day if they really liked each other right? Or would that drastically weaken my bond with both of them? Should I just never attempt to do that maybe?

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
It's been so long since I only had TWO that I really don't remember!

That depends on so many factors mainly:

1. Type of birds; (pair bond birds can be more jealous and territorial of other birds, especially when - HEY! GET AWAY FROM MY STUFF - AND THAT'S MY PERSON, HE'S ALSO MY STUFF!) Flock birds tend to accept other flock birds more readily, if they are the same type of bird. Flock birds might also reject interacting with another species of bird... no way of knowing in advance.

2. Size differential. My CAG, for example, thought tormenting my conures was a sport. Not particularly a sport my conures were interested in playing. (Macaws and cockatoos have been known to remove the other birds toes... in that situation.)

3. Bird room set up. Where they have enough "separate space" they tend to get along better. Where they have close quarters, and don't really care for one another, they tend to not get along as well. Forced to share a cage and food and water dishes with another bird? You're asking for a toe or leg removal... bigger bird generally prevails.

The purpose of having something like my monster playstand, is so they can interact together as a flock in their little birdie playground... yeah, there are occasional territorial disputes, but for the most part, the birds themselves work it out, without lopping off anyone's toes...

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I can't speak to the transition from one to two - mine were rehomed to me as a pair so I've always had 2.

I can say that I have a sun and a GCC and they share a big cage (although I understand that this wouldn't work for every set of birds). Mine have always lived in the same cage - so I didn't separate them when I took them. It doesn't seem to affect their ability to bond with me - they are both very affectionate with me. Although with birds being very individual - it's hard to predict the outcome.

janquito

Aug 10, 2016
Wisconsin
Parrots
Two green cheek conures, one sun conure, and two quakers.
I got my gcc, Conor, when he (not DNA sexed) was 3-5 months old (the woman I got him from said he was born in April, her boyfriend thought June. The following Feb I rescued a sun, Mango, that is DNA male, was 7 mo old. I didn't put them together right away. They had their own cage, but I'd open their cage doors to allow them to get to the center stand, I'd made, that has food/water & other climbing things. (I didn't have Mango's door open right away & when I did, only when I was in the room) I don't know if it's because Conor was first or just his personality, but he's king & isn't afraid to let Mango know. They're now in a huge aviary together. They had their own beds but are often together when I greet them in the morning.
I love these guys and I think, if you have patience, you should have a great time w/two birds. I can't say everyday goes great because just like people, birds have times when they want to be left alone. Also, they're like having children so expect them to have squabbles & you being referee.
I've rescued two more birds about two months ago. I doubt very much they'll ever be able to go in the aviary together with the conures. These two are quakers. They came from an awful situation. Anyway, you may find that you'll wonder if two are enough.
😁

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 40-year-old Patagonian Conure
Unfortunately (fortunately?), the Rb is so aggressive and territorial that I've never even dared to think of another bird... even though I have coveted many. I just content myself to enjoying other birds here vicariously.
I love you, Beebs.

OP
Sunnyclover

Sunnyclover

Jan 11, 2017
New Jersey
Parrots

Thank you guys for the advise! I'm still undecided and I have some time to think about it. I'm going on a week long trip in August with Ollie, we're flying to Oregon together for a family get together. I don't think I should get another bird before that since I'm sure flying with one feather baby for the 1st time be a handful. I'm super excited to take him though! Any other comments would be appreciated also.

Most Reactions

Latest posts