Frustrated... Anyone have experience dealing with Polyfolliculitis?

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Penelope Primrose: Crimson bellied conure
Sorry to ask/post so much about the same topic, but I feel like I am at a loss. As a general summary I've taken P to the vet 2x starting since right before thanksgiving for her pulling out small pin feathers. Initial visit she had just started a molt and the vet summed it up to her first big molt and dry skin. So we were sent home with an anti-inflammatory and told to take her into the shower for a bath and the steam. Symptoms didn't stop so we brought her back... This time her skin was now inflamed so we did a CBC and a feather smear. CBC came back completely normal feather smear showed inflammation and a minor bacterial infection. So more anti-inflammatories and a two week course of baytril. Vet thinks it can either be a itchiness or possibly Polyfolliculitis but since she's plucked a lot of pins we really haven't seen multiple pins coming from one follicle. The vet also wants her in one of the soft fleece e-collars which I have but have been torn on putting on her since she is flighted and I do not want to clip her.

My main question is if anyone has dealt with Polyfolliculitis and how did you manage it? I've been trying to do research on it, but there's not much out there. I'm also going to bring in a fecal sample just to rule out giardia as well. If anyone has dealt with this or has any advice I'd love it! It's so upsetting to see her pulling at her pin feathers ): I have seen a minor improvement on the baytril and we still have a week to go on it. Positive note we did DNA her and found out she is indeed a she:rainbow1:

GaleriaGila

Parrot of the Month 🏆
May 14, 2016
Cleveland area
Parrots
The Rickeybird, 38-year-old Patagonian Conure
I have no expertise but lots of empathy and praise for your energy and follow-up!
Good luck!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
I have no expertise but lots of empathy and praise for your energy and follow-up!
Good luck!

There are some topics that I have no experience with and sadly, this is one of them! Our DYH Amazon plucks is rump resulting from a injury and multiple surgeries.

Check you're homes Humidity level and assure that it is above 45, targeting 50 with a target home temperature of 70 degrees. This will not solve your specific problem, but will ease dryness issues. Also talk to your Vet about a misting topical that like higher Humidity will ease dryness issues.

Fully agree with the above Post!!!

OP
KrisandPenelope

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
Thanks I'm going to pick up a humidity gauge and see what the house is at. The vet sent me home with the rain spray but I'm still working on the little one who is afraid of the big scary blue bottle ��.

plumsmum2005

Nov 18, 2015
England, UK
Parrots
Lou, Ruby, and Sonu.
Fly free Plum, my gorgeous boy.
aloevera

A link for your information.

If you get her to sit on your arm and then spray you and her initially she may not be so scared. Plum seems to mind the spray in an upward direction better than down???

From what I have researched it tends to be more common in Budgies and Lovies so perusing some of those sites may bring results?

Last edited:
OP
KrisandPenelope

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
That's what I have been reading as well that it is extremely common in Love birds and Budgies, but my vet had me believe though its rare in can happen in other species of parrots ): It is just so strange bc she completely leaves her feathers alone and it's just her pins that she pulls out. I'll try spraying her on my arm. I got it to where she can stay on a perch and I spray it near her so we have made some progress!

SailBoat

Supporting Member
Jul 10, 2015
Western, Michigan
Parrots
DYH Amazon
Thanks I'm going to pick up a humidity gauge and see what the house is at. The vet sent me home with the rain spray but I'm still working on the little one who is afraid of the big scary blue bottle ��.

We faced the same problem with our DYN Amazon. Our big, no fear guy, was clearly punished with a spray bottle prior to coming to us. What I do is to peach our guy on my left hand and hold the 'Misting' bottle in my right hand (cause I'm right handed). I than, lightly tap the spray tip to his Beak and then move to Mist from below targeting the underside of his rump. After a couple of Mists, I move around to the side and lift his right wing with the spray tip and that common gets him to lift it so that he can see what is going on. I than mist there. If I am using a 'Soothing Product,' I step back away from the area of the last Mist.

The Beak Tap is to allow him to connect the rump mist with the spray bottle not being a punishment.

Note: Humidity Gauges are sold in sets with a Temperature Gauge, which is good, since Humidity is always read with a targeted room (Home) Temperature.

Last edited:
OP
KrisandPenelope

KrisandPenelope

Aug 23, 2015
North Carolina
Parrots
I'll try that idea with the spray bottle! This one has two approaches to new items...fly away screeching or attack it LOL. Thanks for all the advice!

Most Reactions