Fun activities for new friendship?

Screech

Nov 20, 2013
Mojave Desert
Parrots
The Budgies: Chirpy, Squawky, Feisty, Peeps; The Giant: Beaker The Greenwing
He's still a little nervous around me, but I don't want him to get bored. Besides talking to him and holding him, I'm really at a loss of things we can do together.

gizzygirl

Jul 23, 2013
MO
Parrots
Ayla, Jondalar (tiels), Lucy ( BG macaw), Phoenix (Camilla macaw), n Gizmo, Annie (Goffin toos)
Peek-a-boo. All my fids love it!

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
Any game you can play with a toddler you can play with a big mac...

BruceV

Oct 20, 2013
S.E. Michigan
Parrots
Simba (Blue & Gold Macaw); Cosmo (Blue Quaker); Blue (Blue IRN); Mattie (Green Quaker)
Tug of war is good too!

Simba sees me playing tug of war with my dog and he'll start playing with his toys pulling on them and growling and occasionally even barking at them.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
How on earth do you initiate tug of war?

The simplest way is grab a piece of plain, thick sisal rope, tie a few knots, and let the fun begin. :)

Of course you can feel free to add some "fun" things to the string of rope. Add a big, fat Marbella bead, add a pine cone....etc etc etc.

Birdman666

Sep 18, 2013
San Antonio, TX
Parrots
Presently have six Greenwing Macaw (17 yo), Red Fronted Macaw (12 yo), Red Lored Amazon (17 y.o.), Lilac Crowned Amazon (about 43 y.o.) and a Congo African Grey (11 y.o.)
Panama Amazon (1 Y.O.)
My GW mac LOVES tug of war as well...

She has a doggie rope toy. Sometimes she preens it. Sometimes she latches onto it and tries to rip it away from you.

You basically just waive the soft end in her beak, and she decides what she wants to do with it.

She also plays "fetch" with that toy, with my daughter, Sarah.

She also throws it at Sarah i.e. plays fetch + catch...

Throw a blanket over them, they play peek-e-boo...

Mine also does the evil laugh, and gets down off her cage, and chases Sarah around the room. Does this one with my girlfriend as well... (This is only a good game to play with them if we are SURE they're actually playing, and not fixin' to attack! Fixin' to attack is a VERY BAD game to teach a big mac!)

She also plays wiffle ball. Sometimes she'll catch and throw. Sometimes she'll catch, and tear the ball into tiny pieces...

AND DANCING... another favorite. Turn on the music and bob your head...

I knew a mac that liked to be swung by his feet... he actually taught ME that game.

Rock A bird... i.e. lying on his back in your arms getting rocked.

Beak wrestling... "I got your face."

And of course, playing with toys and props...

(OTHER THAN THAT, THEY JUST KINDA SIT THERE... :D)

WENDY CRAIG has a post on her web site about a flighted RFM who loved to play catch... Only in this case THE BIRD was also THE BALL! Fly to one, fly to the other one....

So, yeah...

Last edited:

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
AND DANCING... another favorite. Turn on the music and bob your head...

Pfft...c'mon Birdman, you can do better than that. ;) ALL my fids LOVE LOVE music. While the zons tend to "sing along", the big macs dance along. They not only bob, they rock from side to side, and BOTH go "La lalalalalalalla la lalalala". :D :D :D And yes, I freely admit if my neighbors were to see me "party" with my fids, they'd most likely contact those who come with the white jackets. :54: :30:

Most Reactions