Funky Feathers

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
We noticed at Kirbyā€™s annual in April that one of his left wing primaries was shredded in a 3cm section. Now heā€™s missing some outer primaries too! It could just be regular molting, but Iā€™m not sure. Iā€™m emailing my vet also but I figured I would post here to see if anyone has seen anything like this. I canā€™t remember if he molted already this year or not - he just dropped a primary on his right wing a couple of minutes ago, and that wing looks completely fine.

The left wing with shredded feather:
IMG_0385.jpeg

His right wing for comparison:
IMG_0386.jpeg

OP
ravvlet

ravvlet

Jun 25, 2019
Seattle WA
Parrots
Kirby - OWA, 33yrs old (2019-)
Broccoli - Dusky Conure - 3?mo old (July 2023 -)
~~~
(Rehomed) Sammy - YNA, 45 yrs old (2022-2023)
(RIP) Cricket - Cockatiel (2019-2022)
Well dangit. I emailed the vet and got a reply from the receptionist, and it makes no sense. She said ā€œin the first and last imageā€ (but these are photos of two different wings?!) there is a ā€œfeather that is narrowed near where the feather is missing that appears to have been chewedā€.

I assume she means the shredded feather? We noticed it on his annual. Iā€™ve been monitoring it, and it has not changed (still 3cm chewed/shredded section). I also have no idea what she means by ā€œfirst and last imageā€ as theyā€™re photos of completely different wings. I even included the fact that the shredded feather was noted on his annual in the email.

Argh. Last time I got a response from the vet, but this time it was signed by the receptionist, so I donā€™t think she saw it. Oh well. I replied and expressed confusion. I hope this isnā€™t the gal who gave me flak when I came in for Sammyā€™s very first appointment after only having her a week and admitted I wasnā€™t good at handling her. She was pretty rude and it really bummed me out.

Most Reactions