New rug

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Let me start by saying I feel very silly for what Iā€™m about to say.

Anyway, basically I bought a new rug, opened it in my birdā€™s room and there was a terrible odor. Come to find out new rugs emit VOCs. Lovely.

I took it out of the room immediately, it was probably in there for one whole minute but Iā€™m worried about my Quaker now and canā€™t shake it. Itā€™s almost her bedtime and sheā€™s acting normal for this time of night. Sheā€™s almost definitely fine. Just posting for reassurance mostly.

zERo

Staff member
Super Moderator
Dec 9, 2021
Media
Texas
Parrots
Tony-Green QP(M)
Tom-Pineapple GCC(M)
Milly- Sparrow (F)
I think sheā€™s probably okay! We canā€™t protect them from everything and since it was such a short amount of time it should be okay.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
I think sheā€™s probably okay! We canā€™t protect them from everything and since it was such a short amount of time it should be okay.
Open a window for ventilation and the vapors should be gone quickly. You may think you continue to smell them but I heard that it sometimes takes a while for the "scent memory" to get out of your nose even after the scent is gone.

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
She is fine this morning, just as loud and chaotic as always. You're right :giggle:

OP
psitticine

psitticine

Dec 23, 2022
Parrots
Chichi (2021 - 2022)
Rainy (current)
Open a window for ventilation and the vapors should be gone quickly. You may think you continue to smell them but I heard that it sometimes takes a while for the "scent memory" to get out of your nose even after the scent is gone.
That's very interesting! I laid it outside immediately after that, I'll leave it out there for a few days and see where it's at smell wise. Hopefully it's a simple enough task.

DonnaBudgie

Supporting Member
Jan 24, 2023
Windham, Maine
Parrots
Budgies. Lotsa Budgies.
That's very interesting! I laid it outside immediately after that, I'll leave it out there for a few days and see where it's at smell wise. Hopefully it's a simple enough task.
After airing it out like that I'd bring it into a small closed room like a bathroom and unroll it to see if you can still smell any fumes. If not it probably fine.

Most Reactions