Funny poicephalus stories

Zuzu

Sep 24, 2012
Media
Sloan,NY
Parrots
Sengal Parrot
I'm sure all of you at one point or another has been in someone's house before and heard the stupid Smoke Detector do the reminder battery low beep. Well one day my family and I, plus Zeus was visiting out at my brother's house and his smoke alarm kept beeping, at first i paid it no mind. But Zeus caught on to it real quick, what he noticed and i didn't is my brother was doing a social gathering or whatever, and it just so happened everytime someone would arrive and walk in the smoke detector beeped, so the bird caught on, bad thing is, now he does it at home, anytime someone comes in or were out on the porch and someone walks by out front while on the porch, he does the smoke detector beep, extremely loud, like ear-numbing or doing deaf, hard to believe a bird that small can pump out a chirp that loud. i'm just glad its the reminder and not the actual siren going off for something smoking

MeganMango

Oct 13, 2012
Media
Guelph Ontario
Parrots
1 red bellied parrot (Mango), 3 cockatiels (Bugsie, Alfie, and Bananas)
Oh my goodness where to start! Mango my red belly has done a number of hilarious things since we got him a month ago. To start he has an evil villain laugh (which is down right creepy) that he picked up from us watching anime. He usually does this while attacking toys on his cage. He also screams at his green veggies if I dont dip them in orange juice and stares me down with the dirtiest look. He also says "do a barrel roll" and flips over onto his back and flails his little legs around. I am such a sucker for this I practically melt every time.
Probably the funniest thing though was when he decided he wanted my nachos! I didnt want him to have it because of the salt, so I put him on my shoulder and gave him a small piece of apple (one of his favorites) he kept throwing the apple and heading for my plate of nachos. I kept putting him back on my shoulder and ignoring the behavior. Im feeling rather clever, a good mommy, managing undesirable behavior and not giving in to feeding something he shouldnt have. Then, he leaps into my nachos flapping his wings, kicking chips and salsa everywhere, screaming and laughing his evil villain covering himself with sour cream, and then runs across the plate with a huge chip in his beak. He spread sour cream and salsa everywhere trying to avoid having to give me the chip and running around like crazy. He was a complete mess and I had to shower him immediately. All the while my fiance is just laughing his head off watching all the drama. I wanted to ignore it and just get the chip away from him but I couldnt keep from laughing! Needless to say he was very full of himself.

KevinT

Oct 11, 2012
The Best Way to Start the Day...NOT!

The best way to start the day is NOT to have a little green bird make a dive bombing run from the stair landing down across the dining room table and onto the kitchen counter breakfast bar.

I've got to give my six and eight year old grandsons credit, though. They didn't panic when their breakfast was so rudely interrupted. Maybe they were in shock.

I appreciate that Tyrael doesn't soil his sleeping cage upstairs. I really do. This does result in some degree of urgency when he gets up in the morning, however. Usually he's very good about "holding it" until he gets to his day time cage downstairs. This morning, however, as I was carrying him down the stairs I apparently startled him when I turned my body slightly to turn on a full spectrum light we'd recently placed on the landing where it can shine on the bird cages below. He launched himself into the air and began his descent into and through the dining room. Like a fighter pilot with empty external fuel tanks, he jettisoned some extra weight to improve flight performance.

Casualties include a portion of flooring, the dining room table, a spoon (!), a dining room chair, and a coat hanging on the back of a stool.

I guess you never know if something's going to freak out a parrot until you try it.

I told the kids that it could have been much worse. It could have been Zeus (our new rescue African Grey). Then again, Zeus flies like a brick. Someone was waaaay too thorough when trimming his wings.

Zuzu

Sep 24, 2012
Media
Sloan,NY
Parrots
Sengal Parrot
Ok, like i do every Morn i usually come on here, or surf the web, while having my coffee and I'll have Zuzu with me, after he's done his big morning business in his cage lol. Anyways, on Sundays i'm normally reading the paper and such, and Zuzu is right there with me, walking shoulder to shoulder, clicking and chirping, or doing his mating dance up and down my arm, well i guess he don't like me reading my paper that day, cause he decided to continue down my arm to my hand, look at me a few times, then the paper and back at me, and started to shredded it, ripped the whole edge off with one swipe, and i'm sitting there shaking the hand he's on, and grumbling, "hey, stop that, i'm reading that" and he just non-chalontley stopped took the piece he had in his mouth held it in his foot, looked dead at me cocked his head to the side and said "What?, Me?" then went back to doing it, then in between bits asked me "Why?" just about floored me lol, it's like having a conversation with one of the kids which are 5 and 9. Well guess i won't be doing that with him around again.

Shade

Sep 27, 2011
Canada
Parrots
Piper - Peachface Lovebird;
Shade - Senegal Parrot;
Joey & Pixel - Red-bellied Parrots;
Petey & Zuri - Meyer's Parrots;
Léa - Cape Parrot
This happened over the week-end -

Joey seemingly had a tiny spot of dried poop on the top of his beak - not sure how it got there.

My boyfriend asked him if he could try and get it off, to which Joey shook his head "no".

He then asked him if he liked it that way, to which Joey shook his head "yes".

Both times, he shook his head a large number of times.

Probably purely coincidental but very very funny!

seagoat

Oct 3, 2015
Kelowna, BC Canada
Parrots
17 year old Red Belly Poi named Gaugan and 5 Month old Meyers Poi named Sunny
My Red Bell female is such a character, She makes all kinds of postures and funny litttle dances to express how how she feels. Lately she has decided when she is mad and she is near my hubby he should get a peck on the foot. It is very funny to see her try to chew on the carpet and then I say, "no Gaugan" She makes a funny posture and goes running towards my hubbys foot to give him a little peck.

WideO

Aug 26, 2013
What we always expected started to happen lately: Oscar is ordering the dogs around. From his perch, he shouts their names ('PATSYYYYY!" "EDIE!") or in general "DOGGIES!!!") combined with "Move Over!" or "TIME TO SLEEP". He knows that he gets to play outside when they go to sleep, so he orders it a lot...

Patsy always ignored him ("Bird? What bird?"), but Edie wants to be friends so badly... thus Oscar gets very angry when Edie (who stares at him with great expectation...) approaches his cage, jumping towards him to annihilate his big nose, at which point Edie cowers back in horror.

Patsy puzzled him until he found a way to make her react too: throwing food out of his bowl. Patsy eats everything that doesn't bite back so parrot chow is OK for her. Oscar sits near his bowl, picks and drops some food, and watches her jump after it with his head slightly tilted. He repeats this a couple of times and has great fun in seeing the dog chase after the food. :)

Most Reactions

Latest posts