GCC HELP! please

louiscoverdale

Nov 27, 2012
Essex
Hi all,

My name is Louis, im nearly 22 years old and i am currently a beginner Zoo Keeper in Essex (Bird Team:))

I am hoping soon to become an owner of a green cheek conure. And i know there are millions of threads on cage size and so on, but i still need advice.

I just need someone to help me with the following :)

- Will my GCC be ok with 2 small dogs? Im not planning on letting the bird out with the dogs, but will it be ok with occasional barking?

- The cage size. Do i need a a big bulky parrot style cage?

- Noise, i know they are the quietest of conure breeds. Im not guessing they are as loud as a salmon crested cockatoo or anything, but on the same level as a cockatiel? I dont mind the noise just thinking of neighbors if the bird is constently screaming.

A big thanks to anyone who can help me. I know people are thinking you work in a zoo and you need help??!! but like i said im new...ish.

Thank you. :green2:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
- Will my GCC be ok with 2 small dogs? Im not planning on letting the bird out with the dogs, but will it be ok with occasional barking?
Many people keep parrots along with other animals... so yes, he should be fine.

Besides my birds, I have 2 cats and a dog! He's half akita, half (insert breed - probably pit?)

- The cage size. Do i need a a big bulky parrot style cage?
The bigger, the better! Conures have an expected lifespan of 15-30 years, so this will be the cage he will be living in for many years to come! Not to mention, that once you add in perches, toys, dishes, etc, a small cage is going to get crowded!

I don't know what cages are available to you, but flight cages are typically great deals! A good size cage for a small bird! Such as the following cage... it's 32" wide by 21" deep and 34" high... overall, it's 60" height.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produ...ges/Categoryimages/larger/lg--75873-58827.jpg

- Noise, i know they are the quietest of conure breeds. Im not guessing they are as loud as a salmon crested cockatoo or anything, but on the same level as a cockatiel? I dont mind the noise just thinking of neighbors if the bird is constently screaming.
Species, not breed.

I would believe that a male cockatiel would call more frequently than a green cheek, but green cheeks can still have a pretty loud voice! Most really aren't that bad, noise wise.

If you are concerned, you can go talk to your neighbors and make sure they are ok with it!

Most Reactions