Getting a second eclectus

OP
C

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
Well, my female ekkie flew into a really high coconut tree a few hours ago. She was on my wife's shoulder in the garage, and without thinking, I opened the garage door to take my other bird for a walk, and away she flew. She usually comes back with recall, in fact, my wife sometimes places her in low trees and calls her back, and she immediately flies back (very short distance though).

Anyways, I can hear her squawking in the trees. She swooped down a few times, but flew right past and over us, and circled around only to land in another high tree. Its up to her at this point....I really hope she will come home.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I would suggest if you are totally against any breeding and don't want babies at all then don't add the male to your household. Because it is a possibility. Things could work out good and they just a want to be friends, but the chance of breeding is there whenever you put a male and female together. If you don't mind if they breed and can hadnle any extras then go for it.
I hope that helps a little.

Aims

Jun 23, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Parrots
"Jax" Red-sided Eclectus ~ "Peaches" Lutino Lovebird ~ "Skid" Peachface Lovebird ~ "Bo" and "Peep" Cockatiel's ~ "Opie" Galah
I posted before I read right through the pages... My bad.... Looks like you got him in the end. Congrats they look happy on the pictures. :)

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Well, my female ekkie flew into a really high coconut tree a few hours ago. She was on my wife's shoulder in the garage, and without thinking, I opened the garage door to take my other bird for a walk, and away she flew. She usually comes back with recall, in fact, my wife sometimes places her in low trees and calls her back, and she immediately flies back (very short distance though).

Anyways, I can hear her squawking in the trees. She swooped down a few times, but flew right past and over us, and circled around only to land in another high tree. Its up to her at this point....I really hope she will come home.

From what I understand with free-flight, there will be a time when they'll want to stay out and they aren't ready to come back yet. Waiting them out (sometimes even overnight) and then recalling them again, they will eventually come. After all, they will get hungry!

From there, you can get the recall down stronger.

Do you have any updates? I'm hoping you've gotten her back by now!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Did she come back???

The foot issue might of been there since he was a baby as something might of happen to him. Like Pedro says, he looks like he's in excellent condition in the pictures you've posted. By giving him better diet now will take care of any left over bad diet issues. When we got JoJo, my goodness, his beaks were damaged, it looks like a larger bird had barely bitten him or something. BUT it's all grown out now and he looks wonderful.

OP
C

Chikoo

Jul 17, 2012
Parrots
Chikoo (female Eclectus, 4yrs)
Rumi (male Eclectus, 12yrs)
I spoke to Rumi's previous owner, and he said that his foot was like that when he got him at age 2, and that the vet suspected it happened during birth or as a baby, and that it didn't seem to hinder him. He's a little clumsy, but so is my female! I think ekkies are just on the clumsy side. He's devouring all the fresh fruits and veggies I give him!

My female, Chikoo, came back yesterday morning. She spent the night out. And the neighbors saw her in a tree in our yard early in the morning, when she started squawking at the crack of dawn. But then she flew farther away, but we traced her sounds, she was in a low guava tree in a neighbor's yard, and she stepped right up onto my wife. She definitely seems to be going through some hormonal stuff right now. She's been a bit weird lately, and this morning when I went to give her breakfast, she was on the bottom of her cage tearing apart her cage liner! Lucky, I had just changed it last night. I think she wants to nest.

But what a relief to have her back!

MikeyTN

Feb 1, 2011
Antioch, TN
Parrots
"Willie"&"Lola"B&G Macaw,
"Dixie"LSC2, and "Nico" Scarlet Macaw.
Congrats on getting her back!!! Don't you have a grate on the bottom of the cage??? When she's able to get to the liner or somewhere dark she will nest and be hormonal!

The toe issue is what I thought what had happened when he was a baby..

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
Glad she made it back safely!!!! And I hope you continue to recall train her!

Hope she doesn't become too hormonal and hard to handle!

labell

Feb 17, 2014
East
This post is over two years old...if you have a question it is better to start your own post.
No you should not be weaning to a seed diet with eclectus. Seed should make up a VERY small portion of their mostly fresh diet. Please go to the website "The Land Of Vos" if nothing more than to look at the huge amount of information they have on diet for eclectus.
Eclectus are one of the most complicated parrots because of their specialized diet, it is imperative for their long term health and well being that you are feeding them the correct foods.

greatdan1

Nov 28, 2014
Sacramento Ca.
Parrots
Eclectus parrots F/M
Thanks for your responce,we just took them to a Avian Dr. & you were right.They're healthy thank goodness! Will start my own post...

Most Reactions