Getting my first ever budgie today.

bpenniman

Mar 31, 2015
Milwaukee, WI
Parrots
Budgie-Lucinda
Blue-Fronted Amazon-Lucy
I am getting my first ever budget today. His name is Packer. I named him that because he is dark green and yellow and I live near Green Bay, WI. I have everything set up for him and I am very excited. I will need to give him some time to adjust.I am wondering if I should feed him kaytee. That's what they feed him at the pet store. Although I've read kayteeis awful. Any good brands? And are treat sticks okay? And I heard they need sand. I know I can buy it at the pet store but what is the purpose of the sand and where and how should I place it in his cage. How much free time out of the cage do buddies need? I had a blue crowned conure who passed away January so I am New to buddies.:greenyellow::greenyellow:

thewandererw

Jan 23, 2015
Hi and welcome first congrats on your new budgie.you do not need sand for your budgie so please don't get it.you also don't need grit so don't get that eather. The best pellets to get are roudybush nibbles, zupreem natural pellet budgie size,lafeber's nutra berries of avie cakies. As for out of cage time, as much time as you can give but at least 2-4 hours a day. Just make sure the room is budgie proof.

linda

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your blue crowned conure.

I think you will be very happy with a budgie, they are a delightful species.

I also live in an area where 'off the shelf' trash seed mixes are about the only choice. For that reason I order the brand name diets and treats from online stores, the available variety is endless, the food is always fresh and the prices are usually more reasonable. I also order toys specifically for tiny beaks that most local shops don't carry.

I line all my cages with newspaper, I would be afraid to use sand or commercial litter, if you do use it, I would only put it out of your budgie's reach, in the bottom tray beneath the grate. Budgies tend to pick at everything and if they do happen to swallow enough of the litter it can lead to impacted crops and severe medical issues.

An occasional honey stick is fine, but there are better choices, fresh millet, kale clipped to the side of the cage, shredded carrot or apple, budgie diets shouldn't be limited to seed alone. You may want to consider a budgie specific pellet in addition to fresh vegetables and a little fruit.

Budgies love time out of their cages as much as the bigger birds. Be careful to cover windows, mirrors and other health hazards until your budgie is familiar with his new home, especially if your bird is fully flighted, budgies panic easily and will fly into walls. Always be sure all fans are turned off before you allow your little buddy freedom.

Looking forward to photos and details of your new addition. Best of luck.

10i

Apr 13, 2016
Congrats on the new budgie :)

My late grand mother would give her budgies lettuce from time to time as well as Apple.

Lovely little birds, enjoy.

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Tapatalk

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Congrats on Packer! Allee has a great post there. Try a variety of foods from the beginning.

I've used Harrison's organic pellets for probably almost 20 years now. Always perfect blood work results even in birds who wouldn't accept as varied of a diet over the years. That's all the proof I need. Goldenfeast Goldn'Obles is said to be another pellet with top quality nutrition. You will hear many people say Roudybush and Zupreem naturals because they are brands more readily available and a bit less expensive. IMO they're okay.

In addition to other fresh foods, you can try seed sprouting. This might be a little closer to the live grass seeds and shoots budgies are said to eat in the wild.

Most Reactions

Latest posts