Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
My 3 year old budgie Twigs was acting just a little more tired in the past day or so. Not lethargic, not overtly sick, but a little something was off about him. I thought I'd better take him in just in case. I was fortunate to get an appointment the next day (today).

The vet ruled out anything respiratory, she took a good long listen with a stethoscope. She thinks he may have a little bacterial infection, so they did swabs and wide spectrum antibiotic injection that should last a week. I will get results of the swabs next week.

So get this... not only did poor little Twigs go through plenty today, including handling, crop and vent swabs, and an injection, but when the kennel attendant guy brought him from the back he didn't make sure I had a good grip on the carrier handle before he let go. I tried to break his fall the best I could, but I wasn't expecting it, so he still got pretty banged up with the carrier banging between the counter and my body on the way down. Man I felt so bad for Twigs! That was right after his trauma too. Then to add to that, my left knee has been acting up lately, and it was healing, but I sort of twisted it wrong trying to catch the carrier! It's not too bad thankfully, but I sure didn't need that either. I checked on him in the passenger seat several times on the way home. Although now he was on the floor of the cage instead of on the perch like he was on the way there, he was alert, and when I talked to him you could tell he was paying attention.

He has been eating less, but was about 30 grams which is still a good weight. I saw him eating just a little while ago so I'm relieved. He didn't eat much though. He still looks a little under the weather, but he's moving around. Every time I look he's in a different spot.

He bit the vet, but he didn't bite me at any point today. I think he knows my hands, and although he is not a handleable budgie, maybe he knows to an extent that it is "me" and I won't hurt him. He sort of stepped up and let me go slow and enclose my hand to get him out of the carrier. He is super wild to strangers. He will step up for me when he feels like it.

Thinking about it, it seems like a higher percentage of budgies might be a little more 'delicate' and susceptible to little things, whereas the bigger birds are a little more hardy. Of course that's not always the case, this has been my experience. I love budgies regardless.

cottontiel

Apr 8, 2016
Poor Twigs! Poor you! What a stressful day... well, here's to nothing but improved health and happiness for the both of you from this day forward.

Please let us know what the test results say!

Piasa

Jan 12, 2016
USA Nomad
Parrots
Beau 20 year old male Green Cheek || Jimmy Bullet 17 year old female white cap pionus parrot
Poor Twigs! What a day. I hope he is perking up now that he has had time to be away from the doctor, sleep, and feel safe again.

TexasWade

Mar 13, 2016
Denton Tx
Parrots
Mumble Quaker, hatched 5/25/16
Sounds like a hard day all around, hope your knee and Twigs are doing better! Twigs! I hadn't seen that before, super cute name =)

OOwl

Oct 12, 2010
Texas
Parrots
Rosebreasted Cockatoo, Congo Grey, MRH Amazon, Lovebird
What a day you both had! Too make you feel better, I've had days like that, too. Glad you got Twigs on the road to recovery quickly. I praying it will turn out to be nothing serious. Hopefully he is feeling better and eating better today.

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
Oh my goodness Julie, it sounds like both you and Twigs had a rough start to your week. I'm glad that he seems alert otherwise, and I hope that if it is anything, that it's minor and quickly treatable. It's amazing the recognition skills birds have though... it feels kind of nice when they feel that you're safe and don't hurt you because of it after being handled by the vet!

I'll be thinking of you two and I hope it's nothing serious.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you all so much for your kind words :).

He pooped through the night, so I know he is eating a little at least. He's still the 'same', a little off, but still moving around and preening. I probably shouldn't expect the injection to have made him 100% in less than 24 hours. Still, it's so easy to worry. My goal for Twigs is to see if he can be one of those budgies that will live to be 18 or so (that is the oldest I've ever heard of) never heard of 20. I'm hoping he's genetically strong enough, being a "bird mill" baby.

@TexasWade, I wasn't the one who named Twigs, but I agree I think it's a cute name.

Last edited:

Terry57

Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 6, 2013
Media
Albums
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Hawkhead(Darwin),YCA(Dexter),VE (Ekko),OWA(Slater),BHP(Talli),DYH(Calypso),RLA(Kimera),Alex(Xander)CBC(Phoe),IRN (Kodee,Luna,Stevie),WCP (Pisces),CAG(Justice)GCC (Jax), GSC2(Charley)
Julie, I am so sorry! Poor little Twigs, what a day he had:(
I am so glad that you got him into the vet so promptly, and I can foresee him making it to 18 with you as his loving parront.

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thank you Terry. :)

Much to my relief, he has started to eat more often again and is acting a little brighter. Still not 100%, but a day after the injection, and I'm thinking positive it's the right meds for the condition. Should hear back this week.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
I'm so sorry to hear Twigs wasn't feeling well, Julie! :(

Here's to hoping that by today he's made a complete and full recovery! :) Please give your pretty little guy some gentle scritches from me.

Taw5106

Mar 27, 2014
Texas
Parrots
Buddy - Red Crowned Amazon (27 yo)
Venus - Solomon Island Eclectus (4 yo)
Buzz CAG (2 yo)
Sam - Cockatiel 1997 - 2004
Tweety - Budgie 1984 - 1987
Sweety - Budgie 1985 - 1986
I'm so sorry to see this BUT poop is excellent!! I hope Twigs improves and please keep us posted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GreatBlue320

May 5, 2015
Parrots
Baxter - Illiger's Macaw (hatch date 5.1.15);

Taylor - Black capped Conure (RIP 3.14.15 - miss you every day little "Girlie")
So sorry to hear Twigs hasn't been feeling well. How is he doing today?

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
I must've missed this Julie. I hope Twigs is feeling better by now!

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks for asking :)! Twigs really appreciates the concern from PF members... (it makes him feel like a big parrot ;)). I know he likes that. When I used to let him fly out with the parrots, he'd stand next to them and puff out his chest all proud to be one of the guys :). The 30 gram parrot lol.

I just got a call with results of the swab culture. No abnormal bacteria was found, but a little overgrowth of one of the normal bacteria, Pasteurella. She said the antibiotic injection he had should make him good by Friday if not sooner. She said it was an opportunistic infection, and possibly brought on by stress. His environment hasn't changed in almost a year, so I have no idea how it happened. I just think budgies are super delicate.

Today he is "looking" back to normal and is alert and eating regularly. The only thing is he is quiet. He is usually a typical male budgie - obnoxious loud mouth screamer lol.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Whatever are you talking about? Twigs IS a big parrot - at :heart: And don't ever tell him otherwise. :D

Glad you got the results, and that it's nothing serious. You must be so relieved! And I bet before you know it you'll regret saying he's 'currently' so quiet, cause I have a feeling he's gonna make more than up for his 'quietness'. :21:

OP
RavensGryf

RavensGryf

Supporting Member
Jan 19, 2014
College Station, Texas
Parrots
Red Bellied Parrot /
Ruppell's Parrot /
Bronze Winged Pionus /
English Budgie
Thanks Wendy :). Oh yes.. he is my BIG boy :D rotfl. He does think so, he is a dominant personality type, and tries to boss other birds around. Other budgies and parrots regardless of size lol. That's why he can no longer hang out with the "bigger" guys, he'd always try to stand up to them chest to chest and look up at them and try to pick a fight! It got too dangerous for him cause he wouldn't back down. I know, I usually am amazed what a big voice he has, and I can't wait to hear him start screaming away!

Kiwibird

Jul 12, 2012
Parrots
1 BFA- Kiwi. Hatch circa 98', forever home with us Dec. 08'
Glad Twigs is feeling better, but now he's got a strange fluffy "growth" on his face:11::D

Most Reactions