Getting Theon on a good diet

Greg

Jun 24, 2013
London
Parrots
Theon - Yellow Crown Amazon
I was hoping for some advice on what is good food to buy for Theons main diet. He currently has alot of fruit and veg throughout the day, but i think his main food at the moment is not good, or could be better.

I have done some research and seems most recommend a pellet diet (harrisons keeps popping up?). I would really appreciate it if someone could give me a really specific product, as even when i see these brands recommended i then seem to be overwhelmed with different types of pellets etc, some direction or starting point would be great.

Kalidasa

May 8, 2013
Media
Michigan
Parrots
1 green cheek conure (Kumar)
2 male budgies (Charlie and Diego)
Harrison's is a good choice, it's organic and they seem to like it. They have a high potency pellet (different sizes to fit your bird) which you use for the first 4-6 months for a new bird or one with a poor past diet. Then there's lifetime pellets for after that....the pepper formula has a really good spicy taste they love.
Higgins intuit is pretty good, Rowdybush, just try to avoid the ones colored like skittles or fruity pebbles they tend to have a lot of sugar and fake color.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Harrison's is a good product but very pricy. I am partial to the Zupreme brand because my breeder and vet recommended it. To save you some money, get the pellets smaller so that more is eaten rather than on the floor. I use conure size because the whole pellet fits in the mouth. I buy pellets at a bird fair in the largest bag possible to keep costs down. I started with the fruit flavor because that was what he came with. I prefer the natural because of the lack of extra sugar and food dyes. If the colored pellets get wet on your carpet, it is hard to remove the dye. Especially the red.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Hi Greg,

How is Theon doing???

I also feed Zupreem Natural, but I feed the LARGE size because I have Macaws as well. Neither of my Amazons have problems eating the large. :)

But I don't feed pellets exclusively. I mix my pellets under an assortment of Goldenfeast mixes. I don't know if you can get Goldenfeast in England.

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Oh I have a macaw too and feed the same size pellet to both birds. I feel smaller pellets mean less waste. Each bird and owner has different preferences.

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Oh I have a macaw too and feed the same size pellet to both birds. I feel smaller pellets mean less waste. Each bird and owner has different preferences.

Oh I have to try this now, Merlee. :D I will get the smaller ones next time to see if I'll end up with less crumbs because right now I have LOTS of them. :)

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I have learned birds eat differently. Some of the larger birds prefer to eat their pellets with their feet and some with their beaks. My blue and gold macaw prefers beak method so when he breaks it up, the pellets fly everywhere. I noticed that the conure size fits perfectly in Merlin's mouth and as luck would have it, my new amazon is good with it too. There is more food in them rather than on the floor and I don't have to purchase food as often, no worries about pests or the dog being attracted to the cage. In this case less is more in so many ways! lol.

It's nice to know I helped you for a change.:)

Last edited:

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I feed Harrison's, it's 100% organic. I dont like gmo corn or soy, or anything gmo, so we eat orgainc, so do the birds and dog. I feed all three sizes actually. My P'let prefers the super fine and the fine, and my Sennie likes the fine and the course. They are both on hi potency until the are 6 mo. then we will see. I want to try the pepper, both birds love peppers.

OP
G

Greg

Jun 24, 2013
London
Parrots
Thank you all so much for the responses and advice! Ok i think i will give this Zupreem a try, as im not that rich and this sounds like a healthy alternative.

Just out of interest, is it ok to mix two different types of pellet? Say for example the Zupreem and Harrisons? Or is this pointless?

I am going to try to order some Zupreem/Harrisons today online. Does anyone know a good website for this (i see most of you guys are based in the states so i may have to look for a UK based supplier), if not just an approximate price i should be paying?

Wendy Theon is doing great! :D thanks for asking! Since the advice you guys gave me the other day i have bought him alot more toys in his cage, trying to make it abit more appealing to him, and he is now getting alot more comfy in there :) often just goes and chills in there now and plays :) The stepping up is proceeding well too, hes not yet doing it, but the other day he did step up, but as i pulled my arm away from the cage he franticly reached out backwards with his feet to try to find his cage again :D i think it may be a bad idea to try stepping up training from his cage, so ive ordered an independant perch for him (still not arrived) hopefully this will make him a little more confident with it :)

He still goes mental when i leave for work thou xD hoping the more he sees i always come back the easier this will get.

I am still slightly concerned about his wing thou, he has one feather now that has sort of shrivelled or shrunk that pokes out, again probally just normal but as hes been on a mainly sunflower seed diet in the pet shop, i may actually post a pic of this just to be sure. Once he is confident with stepping up and just generally a little more comfy with me i will get him to a vet for a check up, but atm i feel i may loose all the trust ive gained if i stress him out with that.

Again Thank you all for your help and advice :)

JerseyWendy

Jul 20, 2012
Great to hear how well Theon is doing. :) Yes, if you could snap a picture of the wing feather you are talking about, it would really help.

Oh yes, you can absolutely mix different pellets (dry foods) together. That's what I've been doing for years. :) I order several different mixes/pellets and mix them all up, always enough for about a month.

I wish you continued success with Theon. :)

...sorry, I don't know any online stores in England. :(

OP
G

Greg

Jun 24, 2013
London
Parrots
Ok no worries ill look up UK suppliers myself, ive attached some pics of this wing issue... really hope he is ok, he doesnt seem to bothered by it but would like to be sure.

Attachments

• 1048847_10151457903206898_764422094_o.jpg
    1048847_10151457903206898_764422094_o.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 175
  • 1039956_10151457901146898_1480918149_o.jpg
    1039956_10151457901146898_1480918149_o.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 167
  • 1052695_10151457903636898_1525248633_o.jpg
    1052695_10151457903636898_1525248633_o.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 170

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
I feed my birds a variety of pellets because each offers something that the other doesn't. Other brands are good like Roudybush and Prettybird. The only brand I avoid is Kaytee upon the advice of others.

Since you have to order online, purchase in bulk if you have the space. In the bag, the pellets should keep for a year at room temp or you can freeze it to maintain freshness. A 27 pound bag or so for 1 macaw lasted me approximately 6 months using the conure size pellet. If you go with a larger size, probably less.

The only bad thing about Harrisons is that there are no preservatives so it does nutritionally expire within so much time. I don't remember off hand what it is, but I think the largest bag is 5 pounds and expires in 2 months? Somebody who uses it will probably correct me. I am not sure if I would use it all within that time for the money they charge.

Last edited:

Merlee

Banned
Banned
Jul 25, 2012
USA
Ok no worries ill look up UK suppliers myself, ive attached some pics of this wing issue... really hope he is ok, he doesnt seem to bothered by it but would like to be sure.

I wouldn't worry too much about the feather. It will eventually molt out. I have seen much worse with a yellow nape on a seed diet.

Wdlodge

May 13, 2013
Media
San Diego
Parrots
Kiwi -Pacific Parrotlet, Rio - Senegal. Both hatched 2/2013
I feed my birds a variety of pellets because each offers something that the other doesn't. Other brands are good like Roudybush and Prettybird. The only brand I avoid is Kaytee upon the advice of others.

Since you have to order online, purchase in bulk if you have the space. In the bag, the pellets should keep for a year at room temp or you can freeze it to maintain freshness. A 27 pound bag or so for 1 macaw lasted me approximately 6 months using the conure size pellet. If you go with a larger size, probably less.

The only bad thing about Harrisons is that there are no preservatives so it does nutritionally expire within so much time. I don't remember off hand what it is, but I think the largest bag is 5 pounds and expires in 2 months? Somebody who uses it will probably correct me. I am not sure if I would use it all within that time for the money they charge.

If you keep Harrison's in the fridge or freezer it will last. I buy 1lb bags to try it out, I will buy larger bags once my gals are on maintenance after they are 6 months. I love Harrison's it smells so good, I would eat it. :eek:

riaria

Nov 8, 2012
UK
Parrots
Luna - Meyer's Parrot
Pandora - African Grey
Io - Ducorps Cockatoo
Never heard of that brand.

Not a brand, an online shop based in the UK! :)

(They sell lots of different pellet brands, including Harrison's, and as soon as Animalzone start production again they'll be selling them, too.)

Mayden

Apr 22, 2010
UK.
Parrots
Merlin & Charlie (Senegals)
I vouch for Scarletts as your pet food supplier. Prompt delivery, excellent service, any questions? Give 'em a ring and either Scarlett or Tristen will answer and help you out best they can.

They sell toys, cages, cleaning products, food, all sorts of awesome stuff. Good prices and excellent service. :)

Most Reactions