Giggles - I think she making good progress

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Giggles - Red Crowned Kakariki
Well today Giggles started getting very restless in her cage so we decided to let her out for a few hours. Most of them I spent talking to her and hanging around near by. I put water in the sink and splashed it a little and she became very interested. She would come and flyby me really close, circling the area and looking around. She was flying very close to me and brushed the top of my head as she flew passed. Giggles even landed on my head once before taking off after about 3 seconds.

Eventually she landed on the bench and got into the sink for a bath. I splashed her a little and she enjoyed that. I moved my hand closer and closer and managed to stroke her chest a little, then backed off. Did this about 3 times between splashing her with water. She would bite at my fingers as I did so but seemed more of a warning as each bite was gentle. Hence the backing off not wanting to make her to uncomfortable.

She also got onto the rabbit cage. the lowest she has been while free flying. Normally when she is out she will sit on the fridge, or the mirror over the fireplace (face fireplace heater looking thing so no chance she will go up the chimney) and on this desk thing there a pile of books she has started to sit on or she arch way thingie between kitchen/living room. So the lowest point of all those places is maybe 5'5. But today she was on the rabbit cage, he didn't care and I think Giggles was trying to break in. Not quite able to fit her head through the bars.

In her cage I have a small red lid that I was for food, mainly fresh stuff. So she knows that lid often has food in it. I was cleaning her cage as Giggles sat on the fridge looking down on the world. I put some seeds in the red lid and slowly brought it to her. She got on the lid and was sitting happily eating and managed to walk her half way back to her cage before she took flight again.

We have had her for a week, and I know I prolly make some mistakes try things to quickly, she is my first lil bird (minus the chickens out the back) and I think within the week we have made great progress with her to try and tame her. Still a fair way to go but we getting there. :green1:

Attachments

• giggleshoff1.jpg
    giggleshoff1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 129
  • giggleshoff2.jpg
    giggleshoff2.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 128
  • gigglesfeeding.jpg
    gigglesfeeding.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 104

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
I would agree that you are making progress! Just be sure to move at her pace and you’ll both be happy with where you end up :)

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
Of course. If I feel she starts to fret or anything i back off and take it slow. Especially if doing taming in or around her cage. Always allow her to come to me and not chase her. Seems slow but even the small victories makes it all worth wild. And i really try not to over crowd her. Sometimes we just sit and talk/whistle to each other from opposite sides of the room. Which makes my hubby regret the bird a lil... he enjoys Giggles talking but not my whistling to her... hehe

Laurasea

Aug 2, 2018
USA
Parrots
Full house
Wow she sat on the dish!!!! That's Great!!! So close to just sitting on your hand! Great progress!!

Jen5200

Mar 27, 2017
Media
Albums
Washington State
Parrots
Baby - Sun Conure;
Tango - GCC;
Bindi - Sun Conure;
Stanley - Pineapple GCC;
Screamer “Scree� - Cockatiel;
Tee - Pineapple GCC; Jimmy - Cockatiel
Of course. If I feel she starts to fret or anything i back off and take it slow. Especially if doing taming in or around her cage. Always allow her to come to me and not chase her. Seems slow but even the small victories makes it all worth wild. And i really try not to over crowd her. Sometimes we just sit and talk/whistle to each other from opposite sides of the room. Which makes my hubby regret the bird a lil... he enjoys Giggles talking but not my whistling to her... hehe

You had mentioned in a previous post that she appeared to be waiting for you to respond when she talked to you....so I think you’re doing a great job of reading her comfort level :). Funny....my husband doesn’t enjoy my singing or whistling for the birds either :18:

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
today she was looking out the back window, and I managed to stoke her side 2ce before she stepped away, she didn't fly away just kinda hopped away. Little things like that make me all excited

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
I think you are making excellent progress with Giggles. She's obviously very curious about her environment and is already interacting with you of her own free will, that's huge.

I know very little about bunnies but I think I would be very cautious about allowing Giggles too close to the bunny's cage, especially if there's a possibility of Giggles getting through the bars and trying a bite of bunny food.

Please continue with updates, Giggles is destined to be a celebrity.

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
I think you are making excellent progress with Giggles. She's obviously very curious about her environment and is already interacting with you of her own free will, that's huge.

I know very little about bunnies but I think I would be very cautious about allowing Giggles too close to the bunny's cage, especially if there's a possibility of Giggles getting through the bars and trying a bite of bunny food.

Please continue with updates, Giggles is destined to be a celebrity.

Giggles can't get through the bars are all, she has tried on all sides. Hoff, the bunny isn't bothered by other animals. He just lays here. But I watch Giggles every time she is out. She is getting more curious. :green1:

Took a bathtime video from today I hope it works it is on my facebook page, I made it public https://www.facebook.com/ToastieSandwich/videos/10213846336337497/

Allee

Oct 27, 2013
Media
Texas
Parrots
U2-Poppy(Poppy lives with her new mommy, Misty now) CAG-Jack, YNA, Bingo, Budgie-Piper, Cockatiel-Sweet Pea Quakers-Harry, Sammy, Wilson ***Zeke (quaker) Twinkle (budgie) forever in our hearts
The link doesn't work for me but it could be because I'm logged in from an IPhone, hopefully others can see Giggle's bathtime video, I know it's adorable.

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
The link doesn't work for me but it could be because I'm logged in from an IPhone, hopefully others can see Giggle's bathtime video, I know it's adorable.

Doesn't work for me either Allee :eek: using my desk top.

Jim

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
I didn't realize Gig's was so tiny..for some reason I was thinking Amazon size :confused:
Great progress in just a week!

Jim

OP
Shrub

Shrub

Nov 30, 2018
Netherlands
Parrots
I apologize it might be my facebook settings? Just me splashing her with water in the sink. I manage to stroke her before she steps back and then continue to splash her

Most Reactions

Latest posts