Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I snagged this shot.
IMG_8856.jpg

ashley

Aug 30, 2007
Ontario
Parrots
a Brown-headed poicephalus parrot named Tucker!
Aw! What a beautiful bird! I love his colouring. He must be very hand tame, did you train him yourself?

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
15 year-old Sun Conure: Hamlet &
14 year-old Green-Cheeked Conure: Mac
Red, those are great ... didn't realize that your grandson was so little ... that's great, get a love for birds into him at a young age!

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
The boy had his 1st hair cut this week, so now he looks like a boy again.
I didn't hand tame Gilligan myself. He was hand reared and I paid 25 bux for him very recently.

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I don't want to start anything, I just want to ask if Gilligan is only clipped on one side? Because it really looks like it...

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
Yup
Only one wing is clipped. When he has his next molt I will leave him unclipped. The breeder cuts only one wing so he will fly in a circle and not build up the speed to hurt himself by flying into a window. It works quite well. He already compensates and sort of Flutters in a straight line as it grows back in. The dog has already had him in his mouth once and is constantly waiting for another chance to "play" with Gilligan.
IMG_8969.jpg

IMG_8970.jpg

I make Pando sit with the bird on his nose for minutes on end. I would try and get pix, but I am always making sure the dog knows the rules. He wants to eat this bird so bad it hurts. So I put the bird down to the dogs level and sit and chat to each other all day long. the bird has no fear of anything and tells off Skippah and the dog every chance he gets.

Last edited:

TexDot33

Bird poop and baby poop
Dec 26, 2006
Media
New Hampshire USA
Parrots
I personally haven't ever understood that theory in clips ... only clip one wing ... I guess the logic is there, but the same effect is acquired by clipping both wings and only leaving two or three flights on each wing and that way the birdy doesn't have to "compensate"
for anything ... whatever ... I think that we can all agree that Gilligan can find better places to play than "in the dogs mouth" :eek:

OP
Redballoon

Redballoon

Dec 24, 2006
I think we can all agree that laziness is behind the breeders wing clipping theories. Why clip 2 wings when you can clip one. He cut Skippah the same way. There will be no more wing clipping in this house. both birds will fly free soon.

Flyte

Jun 18, 2007
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Blue & Gold Macaw, Madison;
Yellow Naped Amazon, Rocky;
Timneh African Grey, Tyler
Gilligan is adorable. So is your Grandson!!
Looks like he's not in the least bit fazed by the dog.. and the dog looks.. well.. be careful! lol.

meghanxx4

Feb 1, 2007
Media
British Columbia, Canada
Parrots
|Cockatiels:Tara and Shylo|
Budgies:Fresca and Domino|
Senegal Parrot: Kayto|
You should really clip the other wing so they grow out evenly. One wing clipped is dangerous for birds. It makes them feel un balanced.

Also i hate to say this but you should really consider getting Giligan a square/rectangular shaped cage. It's fine if its dome topped just make sure it has 4 sides. Round cages make birds feel uncomfortable and unstable. Birds like corners. Please consider doing this, i'm sure it will improve Giligans training and behaviour as well. I've seen birds chnage so much from this (in a good way). It's like night and day with some birds.

Tracy842

Super Moderator
Jan 12, 2007
Media
Alberta, Canada
Parrots
Popsicle the Senegal Parrot &
Pepsi the Mealy Amazon
Gilligan is very cute and not the least bit shy. Your grandson is cute too and he don't look very shy either. Does he like the birds?

nzchickadee

May 15, 2007
Media
Christchurch Nw Zealand!
Parrots
Budgie
Gillian is Gorgeous!
Its so awesome to see you with the budige out and enjoying her. I think sometimes the pet and companionship value of these birds is underestimated, they are just so comical!

Most Reactions

Latest posts