goffin cockatoo

micah18mb

Oct 28, 2020
myrtle beach
Parrots
one Goffins Cockatoo
So im new ( since august) still trying to figure out the sight. i have posted before about rock ty y'all for your help. So today i have another question. please don't judge lol but has anyone ever exsperinced what seams their bird is trying to hump you? Rocky keeps placing its beak on my hand then grabbing my fingers with its feet. (but not trying to perch) then just keeps moving back in forth. i have read don't let them try and mate or let them bond that way.. So i'm skeptical about this behavior if that what rocky is doing should i stop this behavior?:yellow1:

chris-md

Feb 6, 2010
Maryland - USA
Parrots
Parker - male Eclectus

Aphrodite - red throated conure (RIP)
Oh yes, masturbation is VERY common amongst our feathered friends (no embarrassment here about talking about it!). Especially those of us with birds who can go into breeding season at any point in the year.

Review typical hormonal controls (12 hrs sleep, no access to dark spaces, low sugar diet, etc). When he gets randy, don’t get angry or “punish” him, but don’t encourage it either by making a fuss. He just needs a moment to cool down. Set him on a perch, counter, cage, other area away from you, and let him have a cool off for a few minutes before interacting with him again.

OP
M

micah18mb

Oct 28, 2020
myrtle beach
Parrots
one Goffins Cockatoo
Thank you i was thinking that it was. i just wasn't sure rocky hasn't been sexed yet its something me and the vet have been talking about but not necessary. but when rocky does this i usually guide him away show some love then put rocky in his/her play area i try not to make a big deal about it because were finally bonding.. ( since only adopting rocky in aug) ty Rocky only has dark space when in cage sleeping at night. during the day cage is open hes always out. our vet has him on a strickt diet that i follow so im sure sugars are not a problem.. do you think this behave helps point out the sex?

Last edited:

noodles123

Jul 11, 2018
Parrots
Umbrella Cockatoo- 15? years old..I think?
what chris said-

Do you let him play with boxes or go under furniture/in shelves/ under your hair/ under your shirt/ spend lots of time in your lap? Any huts or paper piles?
You want to avoid even slightly shadowy spaces like these, and things like pillows, fabrics, shreddings of paper etc. There are tons of shadowy spaces in our homes outside of their cages as well...countertops under mounted cabinets can be, under chairs, darker hallways, couches, shelving, drawers etc..

Touch ONLY on the head and neck. The rest is sexual..

Avoid allowing prolongued cuddles of any sort- even if only touching the head and neck.

12 hours of sleep on a schedule is huge. Make sure he has a routine.

When he does that- put him down and change the subject by trying to distract. I say "I will not have sex with you!" in an Elmo voice, put her on a perch my vet said it's often a good idea to just put them down and walk away if you see that behavior.

Last edited:

AmyMyBlueFront

Apr 14, 2015
Media
Connecticut
Parrots
Amy a Blue Front 'Zon
Jonesy a Goffins 'Too who had to be rehomed :-(

And a Normal Grey Cockatiel named BB who came home with me on 5/20/2016.
Oh yeah...my cockatiel is a pervert..way too bonded to me. The minute he gets on my fingers he starts wiggling his butt back and forth and nibbling my fingers. I distract him immediately!

Jim

Scott

Supporting Member
Aug 21, 2010
San Diego, California USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy
Parrots
Goffins: Gabby, Abby, Squeaky, Peanut, Popcorn / Citron: Alice / Eclectus: Angel /Timneh Grey: ET / Blue Fronted Amazon: Gonzo /

RIP Gandalf and Big Bird, you are missed.
Best to redirect behavior and not reward, but obviously no punishment for strictly natural actions.

I am extremely bonded to my goffins and never has one attempted masturbation. Somehow they properly view me as parront and friend, not mate.

Over the years I have developed my own method of handling without leading to inappropriate or unwanted actions.

Most Reactions