Going on vacation?

GFGC

Aug 26, 2015
Hey everyone.
I tried to do some searches on this topic since I'm sure it's come up before, but I didn't have any luck.
My girlfriend and I are CONSIDERING going on a short cruise around Thanksgiving time. We would leave on a Thursday morning and return the next Monday morning. We have done a LOT of traveling in our past (I'm a musician, and last year I was actually on tour for six weeks... but that's a concern for another day!), and really enjoy going on adventures. However, this is our first year with our GCC and his happiness will be the deciding factor here. We got him last month.

I'm looking for some advice here on what the best course of action is when people go on vacation. I know some people refuse to leave their birds EVER, but Jen and I probably can't sign off on that completely for the next 20 years :)

We live in St. Petersburg, FL, and are bird boarding places around, but that worries me. Some only charge $5 a day for bird boarding, and that makes me feel like they fill his bowls and that's it. My girlfriend's brother could potentially come over a couple times a day while we are gone to give him food and some company, but our bird spends hours outside of his cage and we don't think he would be confident in monitoring a loose bird around our apartment. The idea of our little guy in his cage for four days straight makes me very uncomfortable, even when I consider putting the radio and tv and stuff on timers so that he isn't alone in silence. He is handled every day.

Boarders raise new concerns for me, because I feel like he will be in a scary new place with new people and sounds. I feel like he might be terrified for four days and come home with birdie PTSD!

You may remember me from my previous post: "Conure's aggression worse every day. Desperate for help."

Charlie has been doing much, much better, but considering what I've been through with him, is leaving him for a few days in a couple of months going to undo some of his progress? We don't HAVE to go on this trip at this time, it's just that a good opportunity has come up. My girlfriend definitely doesn't want to do anything harmful to our little guy, but vacations are definitely in our future at some point.

I'd love any advice, recommendations, or stories from you guys. Thank you!

To think that I thought a little pet bird would be less work and stress than a puppy...;)

ChrisWink

Sep 7, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania
Parrots
Echo ~ TAG DNA male

Jasper ~ U2 DNA male
Do you have a pet store in the area that has parrots as well? Not one of the big box stores a locally run store? If so ask them if they can take care of him while your gone.

JamesC

Sep 3, 2011
Knoxville, TN
Parrots
Blue Crown Conures: Tootsie and Rosco.
Senegal Parrot: Sidney.

Feathers of the past:
Budgies: Sunshine, Digit, Kiwi, and Yahto.
Senegal Parrot: Kelly.
"Fly free, little ones. Love and miss you."
Check around with your vet or pet store or rescue groups to see if they can recommend anyone who can do in home pet sitting. I think that being at home in familiar surroundings is best rather than boarding a bird. I just did a 4 day trip and a new sitter watched over my flock. And I've done up to a week away when I was living in Fort Lauderdale with a sitter there.

The sitter I had in both places have experience with bird rescue. Particularly the one in Florida. I came across her in the local bird store a couple of times with one of her rescues riding around on her shoulder as she helped the bird to feel more secure.

If you get a good recommendation, invite them to your home to meet the bird. See how Charlie reacts and see how the potential sitter reacts to him. Talk about birds in general. Ask a lot of questions. Listen to their experiences with other birds. Ask them if they can sent text updates and pictures. For me it is certainly a relieving feeling when they text that all is well and everyone is eating.

And one other thing, it may not be ideal for your bird to be locked up in a cage for a few days but if Charlie does experience a lot of stress with strangers, it may be for the best. You feel a bad about it but it is far better than having him stressed out by having an unfamiliar person trying to take him out and handle him if he is scared of them. I load up with new toys and unusual treats for my guys so that helps keep their attention going for a while and that makes direct interaction with the sitter less necessary.

You may get "yelled at" when you come home but he will forgive you. Come home loaded with treats and attention for him and that helps out a lot.

yorkshiregal

May 26, 2014
Thousand Oaks, California
Parrots
Lolli pop A Pineapple GCC
Thanks for asking this question! I'm having the same dilemma! exactly! (Christmas away with all the family) I have always left my bird at home with a family member. Like you my lolli is sat on my shoulder or running around on his counter top, 90% of the day.
I had to leave him the first time for a week with a family member at home, when i got home he bit me so hard it drew blood and he sulked for about a week! The last time i left him and returned he was fine, after a day or so. I think i will ask at my pet shop? I think having him sat in his cage for 6 days he'll be way safer and less stressed. He might hate me for it but I'm sure he'll come around? Please let me know what you decide and how it works out for you both. I'm having sleepless nights and its only September!!!! Good luck

Most Reactions