Discouraging breeding?

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
A friend of mine is an idiot and on a whim bought 2 green cheeks from a pet shop/hand feeder in Ohio. She fell in love with mine and decided she wanted her own. She didn't think they would be so messy and noisy. Needless to say she wants them gone and offered then to me. The real problem is they came back DNA sexed Male, a stunning Turquoise, and Female, a Yellow Sided. They are roughly 4 months old. From what she was told they were not related and they were in a cage with about 4 others.

I agreed to take them, she's had them about a month at her home with no other birds, but my biggest worry is that they are SUPER bonded apparently. They call for one another if you take one away, they get upset and strut and pace. They have shown no aggression and are loving with my friend.

Is there any way to discourage breeding? I don't want to have to separate them for fear they will go nuts or start plucking, but I don't WANT or have the skills/confidence to take on babies if they lay. I'm also concerned once they do hit breeding age the male, who is an absolute sweet heart, will turn into a nightmare. In a perfect world is love to see them stay together but I don't want evil demons or tiny peepers.

What's the best route here? I have a female GCC of my own I could possibly over time house with this other female, but the poor male would be alone. :confused:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
I look at separation as a last resort especially in conures. They weren't made to be alone. I have an article that I wrote on controlling hormones, and I think it would be wise of you to read it. If you do end up separating them, I would do so only as far as two side by side cages and still let them out to play together, the different cafes would just be to prevent mating when you are not looking. But keep in mind that if hormones are running wild, she may lay anyway so controlling them is more important than just keeping the birds apart.
Handling Hormones ? Silver Sage Aviaries

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
You have awhile before you'd have to start worrying about them breeding, but if they do lay there's no reason that those eggs have to come to term. You can replace them with fake eggs for one. Another alternative is essentially preventing the egg from properly developing but then giving it back so they never hatch (sounds depressing to say, but sometimes they figure out fakes real quick). That's IF they lay eggs. You can always prevent it by making sure there's no "safe" place to lay, regulating day light hours and food types (no high protein for one), and no nesting materials to encourage the behaviour. They may be bonded but never actually mate, either.

Plus there's no guarantee they'd be good parents anyways. There's a lot of new bird parents that just destroy their own eggs or lay them but don't actually brood them.

It's something you'll just have to work on preventing. You could always buy a double cage with a divider so they're close but not actually with each other, too. But once they're out together and have hit puberty, there may be no stopping it.

And to be honest, once either of them hits puberty there's the likelihood they'll both just be little angry, nesty, "I-want-little-babies-now" monsteras haha. Both sexes are just as susceptible to it.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Greater Orlando area, Florida
Parrots
JoJo, 'Special' GCC, Bongo, Cinnamon GCC(wife's)
I look at separation as a last resort especially in conures. They weren't made to be alone.
My JoJo is a single bird, am I being cruel? Or better put selfish?
I don't want to hijack this thread, if appropriate, I can make it a separate post!

Last edited:

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
Eclectus, CAG, BH Pionus, Maximilian’s Pionus, Quakers, Indian Ringnecks, Green Cheeked Conures, Black Capped Conures, Cockatiels, Lovebirds, Budgies, Canaries, Diamond Doves, Zebra Finches, Society F
No I'm not saying owners of single birds are cruel, I assume you spend lots of time with the little guy and love him and snuggle him to pieces, and he sees you as his flock, and likely as his mate. I'm talking about two birds who are already attached and in a multi bird home, who don't need to be ripped apart if their hormones are controlled (see article). I. Sorry I sounded like I was calling you cruel, that is NOT what I mean :)

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
No I'm not saying owners of single birds are cruel, I assume you spend lots of time with the little guy and love him and snuggle him to pieces, and he sees you as his flock, and likely as his mate. I'm talking about two birds who are already attached and in a multi bird home, who don't need to be ripped apart if their hormones are controlled (see article). I. Sorry I sounded like I was calling you cruel, that is NOT what I mean :)

Thanks! :)

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Gcc- Conlan... Sun Conure- Mouse...Jenday- Kellan... RLA- Happy...B&G Macaw- Rhage
One of my main worries with them is that, as natural for them, they would over bond with one another and begin attacking me when they get older. Granted, I'm not looking for then to be cuddle bugs with me, but I just don't want it to get to a point they are unmanageable. Is there a way to keep that from happening? Tricks to do now so I won't have an issue later?

Dinosrawr

Aug 15, 2013
Saskatoon, SK, Canada
Parrots
Avery, a GCC born on March 5th, 2013 & Shiko, a blue IRN born on February 25th, 2014
I think that just comes down to you doing individual training sessions and ensuring you spend quality one-on-one with them. If you never handle them or interact with them it may happen, but even if they're bonded if you've handled them and built a bond with them they shouldn't just outright dislike you. They may show protective behaviour over one another to you, but if the bond is there between you then you're good.

My IRN and conure are very bonded, but they each love spending one-on-one with me. Avery will get protective over Shiko and vice versa, but you just learn their boundaries and set yours, too.

OP
LoveMyConlan

LoveMyConlan

Mar 31, 2015
Media
Pennsylvania, USA
Parrots
Thank you everyone! I'll have to check out getting dinner fake eggs later on and I will most definitely be doing one on one training sessions. My own gcc took to clicker training like a pro. I'm keeping my fingers crossed this works :)

SilverSage

Sep 14, 2013
Columbus, GA
Parrots
It's easier to just boil the eggs and return them rather than trying to trick them with fake ones, but keep in mind you really want to prevent her from laying if at all possible. There is a 99% chance they will be absolute terrors if there are eggs in the nest, no matter how sweet they are right now. Prevention is key.

I agree about training. Train and bond, train and bond. I have never had a pair of GCCs turn on me just because they had a mate, only when they went to nest. Teach them from the beginning that they are not allowed to bite, etc, and that hanging out with you is fun. I agree that you need to spend one on one time, but I would make the bulk of your snuggle time with them a joint thing. If they think hanging out with you means they can't spend time together, they will attack you. They naturally want to spend most of their time together, don't become the thing that makes them leave each other, become a flock mate and friend they can spend time with while together.

also, if you use time out method for biting, get a separate cage for that. A small one is fine, but with a pair they are likely to be even more possessive of their cage. You don't want them to learn to bite you in order to return to the cage and the mate. Also, if you encounter cage aggression later on, you might find that simply opening the door and picking them up OFF of the cage once they come out rather than putting your have do inside might be a little extra respect that they need for their home together, but only implement that if he need arises.

Kyoto

Mar 18, 2015
Media
Halifax, NS, Canada
Parrots
Kyoto (AKA Kyo)-Green Cheek Conure
Charlie - Canary
Tommy - Budgie
Sunny - budgie
So much great info! Since finding out Kyo is female, I'm extra worried about stimulating hormones. Good to know some helpful tips.

Flboy

Dec 28, 2014
Parrots
So much great info! Since finding out Kyo is female, I'm extra worried about stimulating hormones. Good to know some helpful tips.

Don't sweat it, gals always better at this. Us guys are the demons! It comes at a price though, so don't judge too harshly!

Most Reactions