Golden Conure Beak Color

satocho

Dec 23, 2017
South Florida
Parrots
Bronze-wing pionus, Golden Conure, SI eclectus, blue-crowned hanging parrots
Hi everyone

My 18-month old golden conure Samba has undergone a change in beak color since he was a baby and I'm wondering if I should be concerned. I'ver attached two photos.

When he came to me his beak was entirely pinkish-horn colored, but in the last several months it has darkened considerably. Looking at photos of adult GC on the internet, especially those that seem to be outdoors, I notice a similar coloration, so I'm hoping it's OK.

He's in an outdoor play cage or aviary for several hours a day, usually from 11 am to about 4 or 5 pm. I didn't start putting outside until he was about a year old.

His outdoor cage and aviary are not in direct sun. This is Florida. Way too hot even in winter for direct sun. The aviary is under a large tree and the cage is under a porch roof.

His diet is mostly fruit, vegetables, a teaspoon of soaked seed, and a cooked mach with lots of veggies, grains, and legumes. He also gets a few nuts each day and a piece of toast with almond butter, which he mostly feeds to our dogs.

Anyone with GC have this experience of beak darkening? Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 345
  • IMG_2377.jpg
    IMG_2377.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 1,268
Last edited:

MonicaMc

Sep 12, 2012
Media
Parrots
Mitred Conure - Charlie 1994;
Cockatiel - Casey 2001;
Wild Caught ARN - Sylphie 2013
No personal experience, but I'd say it's normal. Many adults have "darker" beaks, so it's just likely that your baby is maturing still. I can't say I've seen one with a beak as dark as that, though!

Might be a good idea to get in touch with a breeder of goldens for more info. :)

syakti

Dec 15, 2017
NY
Parrots
Hydutt (GCC - 4.5 years old) and Hero (Budgie - 3 years old)
Looks like darkness is taking over him lol. Soon he will rule your house [emoji3]
Evil loading...30% [emoji23][emoji23]

Last edited:

Most Reactions

Latest posts